Why does Bose sound so good?
Dec 29, 2008 at 4:23 AM Post #16 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes, Bose caters to aesthetics as well as performance, they tend to compromise performance for the sake of size and looks, because of the cute-ness factor, because thats what moves units, the honest truth is, 95% of the general public could care less if something bulkier sounds slightly better by comparison (and we are talking, slightly better, remember, diminshing returns), when the Bose system is A) a complete package B) viewed as an item of wealth by the public and C) cute

none of this is to really make any single point, I'm just giving my collected
opinions on the subject, take it or leave it

Slightly?
rolleyes.gif

The only reason people buy bose is for aesthetics and "perceived" notion that they have good sound quality. You don't even need to go bulkier to get better sound quality than bose, a HTIB package from quality brands like Polk or B&W is a night a day difference from bose. It will look better too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:40 AM Post #18 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Slightly?
rolleyes.gif

The only reason people buy bose is for aesthetics and "perceived" notion that they have good sound quality. You don't even need to go bulkier to get better sound quality than bose, a HTIB package from quality brands like Polk or B&W is a night a day difference from bose. It will look better too.
smily_headphones1.gif

yes, slightly
consider that B&W 800D's are only slightly better than B&W 703's, and so on, its all about diminsihing returns

look at SR-60's compared to SR-225's, over twice the price for maybe 10% better performance

as far as HTIB packages, first of all, I wouldn't compare Polk to B&W, second of all, neither brand makes HTIBs

like I said, everyone here is going to hate Bose, just because its Bose, look at other HTIB products on the market, like Sony, they're no better, cost about the same, same goes for Panasonic, JVC/Victor, Klipsch, etc

HTIB products in general aren't sold for high performance, they're sold to be compact, "cute", and provide half decent performance, Bose got that formula down from the start

now, if you wanna look at Bose's actual speaker offerings, their tower speakers, bookshelves, etc, lot better SQ than the HTIB solutions, and honestly pretty decent for the money

Dec 29, 2008 at 7:56 AM Post #19 of 47
I'll give Bose some credit. I listened to them at my local Target store. I thought they sounded great (compared to my $20 Sony's) but scoffed at the $189 price tag and swore I would never pay that for a set of headphones. I started researching them to find a better price and to see how the reviews looked which lead me here and now I own a $150 pair of cans and a $100 pair of headphones, neither of them Bose. I also have a $150 amp in the mail and I am getting ready to order a $300 DAC. So thanks Bose for making me broke.

Dec 29, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #20 of 47
Bose On-Ears really sound good with macbook or ipod I must say. I feel shy to admit it because there home audio stuff gets slammed so much. For there marketing I give them a 10. They make these little unseen silver boxs that the wife likes. People think there cool to have and they have the best chain audio show room to blind the masses with. Headphones are on a personal level. People should find out for themselves in the end. The Bose around ear phones sound like you have giant sea shells on your ears when the music stops. One way to get the enemy to talk would be to make them use hot around ear Bose headphones till they could not take it anymore and spilled the beans.

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #21 of 47
Quote:

yes, slightly
consider that B&W 800D's are only slightly better than B&W 703's, and so on, its all about diminsihing returns

look at SR-60's compared to SR-225's, over twice the price for maybe 10% better performance

Bad analogy. First of all, B&W 800Ds and 703s should not even be in the same sentence as Bose.
smily_headphones1.gif
As for SR-60, they are great already, so SR-225 is significant step-up only for audiophile, for regular users, yes it can easily be slight or even no difference. Bose on the other hand is garbage, so any decent speaker/headphone over it will be a big difference.

Quote:

as far as HTIB packages, first of all, I wouldn't compare Polk to B&W, second of all, neither brand makes HTIBs

I wasn't comparing Polk to B&W, they were just examples of speakers that are much better than Bose. BOTH of them make HTIB speakers that are small, "cute" and much better sounding than Bose:
B&W: View the Mini Theater speakers at Bowers & Wilkins - The World’s leading speaker brand.
Polk: Perfect Matches for Flat TVs : Polk Audio

Quote:

like I said, everyone here is going to hate Bose, just because its Bose, look at other HTIB products on the market, like Sony, they're no better, cost about the same, same goes for Panasonic, JVC/Victor, Klipsch, etc

People "hate" Bose because they're serious about audio and that Bose is nothing it claims to be.
intellexual net · m k i v

Those other manufacturers do not have aggressive and misguiding advertising like Bose, and they don't sue others for bad reviews. They don't require retailers to have separate auditioning environments for their speakers, because they afraid of head-to-head comparison with other manufacturers. And they don't overprice their products like Bose, so when you buy them, you get what you pay for.

Quote:

HTIB products in general aren't sold for high performance, they're sold to be compact, "cute", and provide half decent performance, Bose got that formula down from the start

now, if you wanna look at Bose's actual speaker offerings, their tower speakers, bookshelves, etc, lot better SQ than the HTIB solutions, and ho
nestly pretty decent for the money

See above.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #23 of 47
All Bose threads are the same. Same discussion, same arguments, same hate, same defense, same rebuttal, same everything.

If anyone is interested in how this thread will ultimately end, just search for the many other threads on the very same topic.

Dec 30, 2008 at 3:49 AM Post #25 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Flying with Bose QC2's, you'll be glad you did. Decent sound, very light and comfortable, and great noise canceling. They make hours on a plane much more tolerable.

This I will gladly agree with. I cannot use IEMS. And if I am going to wear something for hours and hours comfort takes a much higher priority. And QC2's are comfy, much more than competitors. Besides who can do critical listening in an airplane?

Dec 30, 2008 at 10:56 PM Post #26 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All Bose threads are the same. Same discussion, same arguments, same hate, same defense, same rebuttal, same everything.

Yeah! But for soem reason this thread have been relative quiet so far...

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:30 PM Post #27 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try Flying with Bose QC2's, you'll be glad you did. Decent sound, very light and comfortable, and great noise canceling. They make hours on a plane much more tolerable.

I've really wanted to try either the Bose QC2's or the Senn noise cancelling phones, I've recently been using my C751k's (mostly because they're whats available), and they seem to deaden outside noise quite a bit (figure, they work on my quasi-daily train usage, they can work on an aircraft), but those are ECH's (which are fairly close to IEM's in terms of comfort)

as far as the reply to my previous post, all I gotta say is: ok dude, you win, within constraints of your logic, which is founded on snobbery, have a good day
wink_face.gif

Dec 30, 2008 at 11:54 PM Post #28 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by nobb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why does Bose sound so good?

Because acid does that.

Dec 31, 2008 at 7:44 AM Post #30 of 47
Appreciation of sound is a very personal thing and Bose has always had a unique sound signature (or at least in my 30+ years of experience). I much prefer the sound of my Polk Audio speakers, to ME, Polk Audio sounds like real music, not "playback".

Just my two cents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back