Why does all my IEMs die?
Jun 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Starpig

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I'm grieving for the premature death of my beloved Vsonic GR07's.

Right now i'm overwhelmed by distress and sorrow and asking myself existential questions... :frowning2:(

The same sort occourred 3 times to my old Sennheiser IE8, wich have been repaired while still in warranty the first two times.

So now, while ordering a new pair of GR07 BE, i'm asking myself, what am i doing wrong?

I've always took care of my iems, putting them in their pouch for transport, but the drives continue to die! The cables are perfect!

Have some of you experienced the same problem? What can be the cause?

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 20
lol. sorry to hear that. i just put my iems in my pocket, no case or anything and take them to the gym. play basketball with them do everything with them and nothing happens 

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:
Hello everyone!

I'm grieving for the premature death of my beloved Vsonic GR07's.

Right now i'm overwhelmed by distress and sorrow and asking myself existential questions... :frowning2:(

The same sort occourred 3 times to my old Sennheiser IE8, wich have been repaired while still in warranty the first two times.

So now, while ordering a new pair of GR07 BE, i'm asking myself, what am i doing wrong?

I've always took care of my iems, putting them in their pouch for transport, but the drives continue to die! The cables are perfect!

Have some of you experienced the same problem? What can be the cause?

do u listen at an extraordinary loud volume?

Jun 19, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #6 of 20
Make sure which part goes wrong with your earbuds first, then you will easily see what you are doing wrong.

In most cases, death is performed as the failure of cable, especially for the area near connector. Inappropriate direction of your connector will lead to close contact between your connnector and your pocket. Frequent pressure and friction will then cause the death.

For the dynamic driving unit, water vapor is fatal. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #7 of 20
[quote name="Akyama Mio" url="/t/668816/why-does-all-my-iems-
[/quote]

Wrong. Water vapor is very harmful for balanced armatures, as is the shock from dropping them. Dynamic drivers are more resistant to both. Several ciem manufacturers I've spoken to have confirmed this. One rep for a company that has both dynamic and armature based iems told me the dynamics are much, much more resistant to water.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:
[quote name="Akyama Mio" url="/t/668816/why-does-all-my-iems-

Wrong. Water vapor is very harmful for balanced armatures, as is the shock from dropping them. Dynamic drivers are more resistant to both. Several ciem manufacturers I've spoken to have confirmed this. One rep for a company that has both dynamic and armature based iems told me the dynamics are much, much more resistant to water.[/quote]

Yeah, I have pretty much drowned my IE8's in beer, and they still worked without any problems. Futhermore, I think beer is quite a bit more dangerous to headphones than water, considering
all the possible residue that is left behind after the liquid has dried out.

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 20
Yeah, I have pretty much drowned my IE8's in beer, and they still worked without any problems. Futhermore, I think beer is quite a bit more dangerous to headphones than water, considering

all the possible residue that is left behind after the liquid has dried out.

I didn't want to say it, but "You could drop them in a glass of water, dry them out and they'd still work" is how an audio engineer described the dynamic drivers he uses. The acoustic filters and balanced armatures are another story entirely!

Jun 19, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 20
OP, how did they break?

I usually have the wires go bad.

My favorite pair were some altec lansing headphones they no longer make. They lasted about 8 months and sounded great. However, most of my headphones die within 3 months.

Jun 20, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #14 of 20
I'm not sure that OPs version of taking care of iems is the same as mine for example... I don't even use the cases, just carry them around in pockets and nothing has happened to any of my iems
(except for meelec m21. their cord got so stiff, that they have more memory than my old Chinese mp3 player )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back