Why do you think high quality audio is overlooked by the masses ?
Apr 11, 2011 at 9:25 PM Post #17 of 109
I wonder about this too lol I have no answer but I'll definitely subscribe to this thread
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #18 of 109
Mostly because the best is harder to define.  There is a lot of preference and personal taste involved in choosing a headphone in every price point level.

With other things it's more easier to rely on numbers making your selection like fps, viewing angle, color accuracy, color gamut, brightness, etc and you would come out okay

But if you were to do that with headphones you would come out very disappointed.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:30 PM Post #19 of 109
Plus there is a bit of misconception out there.

People see things like skull candy and price tag.. and assume its "awesome" and either hate it or love it..

if they don't notice a difference.. well to bad.. they tried the "high end" and were disappointed.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #20 of 109
People simply don't know what high quality sound is. I have friends who love music, and (i think) that they want good sound, they just hear from everyone else that bose, beats, and skullcandy are top quality products, and they think that those products produce good sound because they haven't heard anything better. When I try to tell these people what to buy, they just think that because I have some "random" branded headphones that I'm biased to like what I bought, or that I don't know what I'm talking about because I "Don't like skullcandys and they're great"....:rolleyes:

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 109
Marketing. Real headphone companies would have a huge payday if they knew anything about advertising to the general public. Why do you think the flimsy fart cannons monster/dre put out sell so well? They are showcased on television in commercials, on athletes before the game with 20 million live viewers, and even some bought-out producers. People see that and think those headphones are the real deal and then they realize they're easily accessible via Apple or Best Buy. 

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:46 PM Post #22 of 109

Quote:
Marketing. Real headphone companies would have a huge payday if they knew anything about advertising to the general public. Why do you think the flimsy fart cannons monster/dre put out sell so well? They are showcased on television in commercials, on athletes before the game with 20 million live viewers, and even some bought-out producers. People see that and think those headphones are the real deal and then they realize they're easily accessible via Apple or Best Buy. 

Its hilarious because I can't even count the number of times I've seen the Monster Beats products being flashed on a music video. And P.S., I believe as loyal Head-fiers we should all take on the equal responsibility of influencing our friends to buying/listening to quality sound reproduction.

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #23 of 109
^I agree with marketing.  This really did it for me, and also $99 intrigued me.  I was wondering why are people raving about headphones that are $99.  Then went to the web link(Amazon) and saw this(great marketing, very effective), and I was like wow.  This may be quality.

[size=medium] Product Description[/size]

Style: TripleFi 10 Earphones
[size=small]

[size=1.23em] From the Manufacturer[/size]

From the Manufacturer
B0019RBJOE_Logo.jpg

[size=medium] The Choice of 75% of the World's Top Touring Musicians*[/size]

The world's top performing artists choose Ultimate Ears custom in-ear monitors for one reason—they are made to deliver the best fit and sound reproduction available. Ultimate Ears represents the culmination of years of experience designing, testing and refining professional in-ear monitors. Ultimate Ears brings this experience to every pair of earphones that they make. The unique sound signature of Ultimate Ears earphones has been tuned to be sonically accurate, yet musically impressive. The earphone designs and ear cushions create a soft, snug seal for long wearing comfort and noise isolation. And Ultimate Ears' sleek, refined designs complement your personal style—instead of overwhelming it.
[size=small]
B0019RBJOE_10_Hero.jpg
[/size]
[size=small]
B0019RBJOE_spacer._V231055825_.gif
[/size]
[size=small]  

[size=medium] Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 – Studio-grade earphones with triple armature speakers.[/size]

Triple because it directs the low, mid and high frequencies to a separate speaker, a total of three in each ear (that's patented, you know). That means you'll hear every layer of sound, every nuance, every detail. A musician's breathing. Fingers sliding across guitar frets. Yes, you'll hear all that just as if the artist were before you performing it live. It's the sonic equivalent of sitting in the world's best recording studio.

[/size]

[size=small]
B0019RBJOE_10_Exploded.jpg

B0019RBJOE_10_Side1.jpg

B0019RBJOE_10_Cushions.jpg

[/size]
[size=small]
[/size]
[size=small]

[size=medium] Pro-Audio Sound Quality[/size]

Triple Armature Speaker Design with Passive Crossover:
Three individual armature speaker drivers reproduce low, mid and high frequencies for a sonically rich experience. Integrated passive-crossover directs the sound frequencies (low to high) to the appropriate speaker. Audio filters shape the sound for the closest experience to custom personal monitors available.
Immersion Sound Signature: 
Exclusive Immersion sound signature is tuned to provide a 3-D sound stage that makes you feel as though you are experiencing the quality, energy and emotion of a live performance.
Noise Isolation: 
Armature speaker design allows the earphones to fit naturally and comfortably inside your ear to create a more secure seal to block outside noise by up to 26 dB.

Frequency Range:
Super broad frequency range of 10Hz – 20kHz delivers cleaner, clearer mid and high tones.

[size=medium] Personal Style[/size]

Finish: 
Gun metal blue earphone color with black cord for a unique and unmistakable appearance. Shapeable cord for a secure custom fit, like professional monitors.

[size=medium] Long Wearing Comfort[/size]

Customizable Fit: 
Shapeable cord can be worn over the ear for a secure customized fit, like professional monitors.
Comply Foam Ear Cushions:
Comply foam ear cushions provide maximum comfort and noise isolation. Available only on Ultimate Ears premium earphone models.
Soft Silicone Ear Cushions:
Includes small, medium and large silicone ear cushions to comfortably fit all ear sizes. 
[/size]

[size=small]

[size=medium] Convenient Features[/size]

Flexible Listening:
Can be worn comfortably down for casual listening situations such as sitting or walking, or can be worn over the ear to keep the earphones securely in place during running or exercising.
Tangle-Resistant Cord:
Durable cord is strong and does not tangle as easily as thinner ear bud cords. Cord length of 46” is specifically designed to prevent earphone fallout.
Pocket-Ready Hard Case:
Crush-proof brushed metallic hard case safely stores your earphones and slips easily into a pocket or bag.
[/size]
[size=small]
[/size]
[size=small]
B0019RBJOE_10_Case.jpg
[/size]

[size=small]
B0019RBJOE_10_Ipod.jpg
[/size]
[size=small]
[/size]
[size=small]

[size=medium] Compatibility[/size]

Audio Players*
  1. iPod and other MP3 players
  2. iPhone and Blackberry (audio only)
  3. Home audio
  4. Gaming consoles
  5. Video/portable DVD players
  6. Computers/laptops 
    *with 3.5mm jacks
[/size]

[size=small]

[size=medium] What's in the Box[/size]

1. Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 earphones
  2. Crush-proof metallic hard case
  3. Soft, silicone ear cushions (S, M, L)
  4. Two sets of Comply foam ear cushions
  5. Cleaning tool
  6. Extender cable
  7. Airline attenuator for hearing protection
  8. 1/4 inch adapter jack
  9. Instruction manual
  10. 1-year limited hardware warranty
[/size]
[size=small]
[/size]
[size=small]
B0019RBJOE_10_Contents.jpg

[/size]

[/size]

Apr 11, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #25 of 109
Audio used to be taken seriously. Some decades back, the three biggest purchases for men, in order, were a house, a car, and a stereo.

Now audio is just a small niche and isn't taken that seriously.

Back when audio was a major hobby, it was mostly driven by science and measurements. Audio magazines took measurements seriously and there was actual progress. Then, by the 1980s, most of the tough engineering challenges were solved. Speakers have improved somewhat and digital servers have become very popular. Aside from that, the industry has stagnated.

Instead of improving quality or lowering prices, the audio industry went the fashion route. They turned audio gear into status symbols and competed for higher and higher prices. Consumers lost interest.

Around the same time, objectivity was thrown out. All sorts of snakeoil got pushed on audiophiles. Sure, there's a cable controversy around here and other audio forums, but 99% of the public think cables, magic rocks, green markers, et al. are pure BS. There's zero scientific backing for any of that, so the vast majority think that audiophiles are a pack of deranged lunatics. The only contact most people have with audiophilia these days is when someone posts the Amazon reviews to a $3,000 cable to a news aggregator. Then 100% of the comments mock audiophiles.

If audio is to be taken seriously, the pseudoscience and mythology has to go. You can find believers in every audio forum, but any time you suggest good headphones or speakers to outsiders, they associate it with snakeoil.

The other problem is pricing. Manufacturers keep recycling designs and upping the price. Prices have to come down.

Keep in mind that audio remains very popular. The iPod was a genuine advance and Apple sells millions and millions of them. People are interested, they just don't want to pay too much for something they associate with BS.

Another huge problem is today's music and the state of music education. Music ed is more or less dead. People used to grow up playing instruments and hearing live, acoustic performances. That rarely happens today. Instead, people are exposed to badly recorded music on bad speakers. They have no frame of reference for good sound. If all you've heard are crappy car subwoofers, you start to expect bloated bass. When headphones produce bass that's similar to real life, it becomes "weak bass." Today's popular music doesn't help much, either.

TL/DR: Snakeoil has poisoned the public against audiophilia, everything costs too damned much, and the public can't tell good sound from bad any longer.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #26 of 109
over all the reason no one really goes out and seeks high end audio gear is that the companies that produce these products fail to advertise their products to the public.  People could say that price is the reason why people turn away, but look at how many people buy Beats by Dr. Dre headphones, they're comparable in price with Senn, Koss, and what not but the reason no one buys them is because they don't know about them.   I mean look at how most of us found this site or found audiofile related items, we stumbled on it, found out what we liked and ran with it.  So it wasn't through advertising, more as word of mouth.I mean I still use my KSC-75's but most people dont' know about it.  Also because if you really read the article a lot of people here just openly bash the companies that do advertise and get out into the public.  I mean maybe Bose items cost what they cost because they are the one of the few audio companies that advertise.  Think about it when was the last time you saw a audio gear advertisement on tv, that wasn't from BOSE or Beats, or even Skull candy.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #27 of 109

I agree, one of the main barriers into the entry of high end audio is the cost.  Yes people buy ipods, yes they are expensive, but everyone around them has one so they know what they're getting into they can demo the product and get a become familiarized to the product so they can decide if it was either worth it or not.  The only other route to attain cheap high end audio gear would to buy them from other people like the for sale forums, and for people who have never bought anything from another person online it is a hesitant issue.  Simply because they aren't really protected by paypal since the change.  I mean we all remember about the case of the guy who bought a pair of headphones from a Korean guy who drank and punched people at meets.  This member was left holding the short end of the stick when he couldn't really get any help, or when MOT vanished with standing orders and were paid in advance.  Remember the "where is Dr. Xin?!"  or "where is Germania?!"

So there isn't a real feel of safety here, when ever a subject  is bought up, its met with "hey man, buyer beware".  Which I personally don't understand because there is a community feel until money is involved.

People in general are blind sided by these snake oil subjects, for example I've been lurking here for years, waiting for the day where I can get a pair of "high end head phones+amp" and all of that jazz but I still don't know if there is even validity to the cable debate, or if FOTM is affecting reviews.  And I've been here for years without a purchase because, like I said the entry fee is high and to sell it you would have to deal with shipping costs and what not.

I know I'm rambling but to be honest this hobby has a high entry fee, where you can't really try out the product.  I mean if you're new to a scene would you really set up a meeting to try out headphones?  I've tried and failed.  Plus it's very strange to attend a meet, just because you're of damaging the headphones of someone that was nice enough to let you try them out.
Quote:
Audio used to be taken seriously. Some decades back, the three biggest purchases for men, in order, were a house, a car, and a stereo.

Now audio is just a small niche and isn't taken that seriously.

Back when audio was a major hobby, it was mostly driven by science and measurements. Audio magazines took measurements seriously and there was actual progress. Then, by the 1980s, most of the tough engineering challenges were solved. Speakers have improved somewhat and digital servers have become very popular. Aside from that, the industry has stagnated.

Instead of improving quality or lowering prices, the audio industry went the fashion route. They turned audio gear into status symbols and competed for higher and higher prices. Consumers lost interest.

Around the same time, objectivity was thrown out. All sorts of snakeoil got pushed on audiophiles. Sure, there's a cable controversy around here and other audio forums, but 99% of the public think cables, magic rocks, green markers, et al. are pure BS. There's zero scientific backing for any of that, so the vast majority think that audiophiles are a pack of deranged lunatics. The only contact most people have with audiophilia these days is when someone posts the Amazon reviews to a $3,000 cable to a news aggregator. Then 100% of the comments mock audiophiles.

If audio is to be taken seriously, the pseudoscience and mythology has to go. You can find believers in every audio forum, but any time you suggest good headphones or speakers to outsiders, they associate it with snakeoil.

The other problem is pricing. Manufacturers keep recycling designs and upping the price. Prices have to come down.

Keep in mind that audio remains very popular. The iPod was a genuine advance and Apple sells millions and millions of them. People are interested, they just don't want to pay too much for something they associate with BS.

Another huge problem is today's music and the state of music education. Music ed is more or less dead. People used to grow up playing instruments and hearing live, acoustic performances. That rarely happens today. Instead, people are exposed to badly recorded music on bad speakers. They have no frame of reference for good sound. If all you've heard are crappy car subwoofers, you start to expect bloated bass. When headphones produce bass that's similar to real life, it becomes "weak bass." Today's popular music doesn't help much, either.

TL/DR: Snakeoil has poisoned the public against audiophilia, everything costs too damned much, and the public can't tell good sound from bad any longer.

Apr 12, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #28 of 109
It is like anything else. You may love sound, but care nothing for fashion, or the fashion you think is cool is considered 'BOSE' by others. Same with cars, with bicycles, with eating habits, with anything. It simply doesn't matter at all. Not a bit.

Apr 12, 2011 at 5:25 AM Post #29 of 109
ROFL are you serious about a guy drinking + punching people at a meet? Can you link me please!
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back