Why do you never see the XP7 as a portable?
Dec 2, 2007 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

oicdn

Headphoneus Supremus
Just kinda curious. I'm kinda curious how this amp sounds as well with the AD825 op amp(it's roll-able too isn't it?), seems like it would be a stretch away from the RSA house sound. It's a bit pricey if you get the PS, but if you're using it as a portable, you wouldn't neceessarily need it.

Anybody here have one?

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #2 of 17
It's bigger than a Lisa III, which is why nobody uses it on the go. It'd be great for an office rig, though.

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 17
Is it? It doesn't look much bigger than an SR71. I did a search here and couldn't find ANYTHING on the XP7, how's it compare to the other portable offerings he has?

Dec 2, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 17
Remember you have two units that make up this amp. One is the battery compartment and power supply. I guess the main part can work by itself. The batteries are not in the power supply section as I thought.

Dec 2, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 17
Yeah, I thought it was a dual part unit ONLY, but the batteries are actually in the main unit. I was kinda wondering why he offered just the unit alone and the PS separately. The batteries part of the main unit make it seem a little more attractive as a portable, but you dfon't really get a perception of the size of just the amp itself.

But just by going by the pics, it looks to be about the size of an SR-71, but slightly slimmer when you put it in relation to the HD's clamped around them for the amp section ONLY. Hmm...makes me wonder why there isn't anybody on here period with one, you search "XP7" and nothing comes up.

Dec 2, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 17
There's a bit of info about it around here -- granted it is sparse. Try Google:
Head-Fi via Google Results. Don't forget to go back a few pages.

I think it's going to be my next amp purchase. I don't think I am going to be using it as a portable as much, however. It's probably more transportable than portable, considering that the 2 9Vs are going to weigh a lot, in addition obviously to the amp itself. Certainly not pocketable, to me.

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #7 of 17
Heh...funny how the google search with head-fi as parameter works better than the forum serach...thanks.

Sucky you have to view the cache'd versions though...

Dec 3, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it? It doesn't look much bigger than an SR71. I did a search here and couldn't find ANYTHING on the XP7, how's it compare to the other portable offerings he has?

Minus the power supply, it looks at least 2/3 the width of the SR-71, almost twice. Ray doesn't list the XP-7 among the portable amps, it's listed with the home amps for good reason.

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #9 of 17
I might be mis-informed. But a vendor of Ray's products. Mentioned the XP-7 might be supplanted. That Ray might be phasing out the unit soon. Call Ray. And have him whip one up if your interested. Might be gone, soon enough

Dec 3, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 17
I've had the XP-7 for a while and absolutely LOVE it. It came with AD825s. I replaced the opamps with LT1028 and it sounds great ! I prefer the LT1028s in my XP-7 to the AD825s anyday. Your need to try it out and see which one you like best for the types of music you listen to. I didn't purchase the power supply. I just use the main unit with 2 x 9v rechargeable batteries. I wouldn't call this amp portable. It falls in the transportable category. You need a rig bag if you want to take it with you and the sound definitely makes lugging the amp around worth it. On the go, I use my ihp-140 player, line-out to the XP-7 and it sounds amazing.

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:21 AM Post #11 of 17
The XP-7 is the same size as the Gilmore Lite, so it's transportable, not portable. IIRC, RSA and HeadAmp get the same chassis part from the same supplier.

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:27 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The XP-7 is the same size as the Gilmore Lite, so it's transportable, not portable. IIRC, RSA and HeadAmp get the same chassis part from the same supplier.

Correction my friend, we do not get the same chassis from the same supplier.
Ray Samuels

Dec 3, 2007 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might be mis-informed. But a vendor of Ray's products. Mentioned the XP-7 might be supplanted. That Ray might be phasing out the unit soon. Call Ray. And have him whip one up if your interested. Might be gone, soon enough

From Ray:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray Samuels
It is the first time I hear that.
We have no intention to stop the XP-7 at ALL.
Ray Samuels

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:23 PM Post #15 of 17
In reading the sponsored Predator thread, it seems Ray typically introduces an item around this time of year, every year. With the predator being the 2007 holiday release, I can't help but wonder with sheer joy what will (hopefully) be offered next holiday season
smily_headphones1.gif

It seems like he has a product for nearly every price bracket and physical size, so I am starting to wonder if he plans on introducing an amp financially in between the Apache and B52, or possibly something above the B52. That would be awesome.
Of course that is pure speculation...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back