why do you love vinyl?
Nov 2, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #16 of 26
I love vinyl lps and have been collecting for many years but it has fallen under major attack from money making greed who are ready to charge the earth for a piece of vinyl pleasure , look wisely and dont be sucked in by "this is rare or the one only vinyl lp in existance" enjoy the beauty that good lps offer but remember there are millions of lps out there , lovely produced music is paramount for good health and for me vinyl recordings are the ultimate audio .
In closing enjoy and relish analogue vinyl but dont be a statistic of the vinyl lp get rich quick game.

Nov 3, 2004 at 1:07 PM Post #17 of 26
Vinyl is romantic.
tongue.gif

If I could buy vinyl and get a lossless digital file of each track at the same time I would buy more vinyl.

Nov 4, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #19 of 26
Lower noise? What about the pops and crackles?

Anyway, vinyl is great because:

Quite simply, the way it sounds... Smooth... The transparent treble, the deep bass... the open mids...

Bargains at charity stores... Steely Dan's 'The Royal Scam' (excellent condition gatefold) for $2! (for instance)

LPs have Beautiful cover artwork that loses its impact on a tiny CD sleeve...

Most releases sound better on vinyl than CD...

The only annoying thing about vinyl is having to get up every now and then to turn the record over...

Nov 4, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #20 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam

I said lower noise than shellac. Also styrene and acetate. I think it's pretty clear that vinyl is the best stuff to make records out of, other than metal which is completely unaffordable.

Nov 4, 2004 at 7:02 PM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Mostly true, but i do own a few records that are dead silent.

Nov 5, 2004 at 11:13 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

As long as the record has not been played on a table with a damaged stylus and/or a misaligned cartridge, and you invest in a quality record vacuume cleaner, surface noise can be almost eliminated. Even with older albums. I would estimate that 90% of my collection (most of which is 30 years and older) has minimal surface noise that is realy only evident between songs. Even during quiet songs and passages, once the music begins the noise is gone.

Nov 6, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
Because I can, and generally do, buy five LPs a week for $23. And all of the above.

I have records that I bought cd's for when they became available. I would listen to new cd's of old records I had and think, this sounds different. At first I think I thought it was better (its digital, it must be better). I missed sometimes all those pops and crackles from those records I played so much. I like vinyl out of nostalgia. It does have a warm sound compared to alot of cd's. last but not least, you gotta love the dollar bin at record shops (Fleetwood Mac's greatest hits, mint for a buck!!!)

Nov 6, 2004 at 4:28 AM Post #24 of 26
I'm definitely not loving it at the moment. Just recently picked up a used Basis 1400, Rega RB300 and Clearaudio Aurum Beta. I'm having all kinds of problems. First I could adjust arm height because I had a metric hex wrench set and I needed a 1/16" one. No problem, stop by Lowes and picked one up. Then I realized that the counter weight was not heavy enough to adjust the VTF for the cartridge. So I ordered a heavyweight from Expressimoaudio. Then I find out my ordered on audioadvisor for a record brush, Shure stylus force gauge and protractor hasn't been shipped yet because the brush was on back order (ordered on 10/30). Again, not a big deal. I simply asked them to ship the SFG and protractor first. Last, but definitely not least, I find out the Rega arm is broken. I've contacted the seller and he has graciously agreed to get me another arm. This rig better sound really really good. Right now, it's just sitting there looking pretty and taunting me. I even dug out my two boxes of records, blew out the dust, and started up my allergy.

Edit: I keep on reading Tyrion's thread about how great it is and he's getting to me.

Nov 6, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkclouds
I'm definitely not loving it at the moment. Just recently picked up a used Basis 1400, Rega RB300 and Clearaudio Aurum Beta. I'm having all kinds of problems. First I could adjust arm height because I had a metric hex wrench set and I needed a 1/16" one. No problem, stop by Lowes and picked one up. Then I realized that the counter weight was not heavy enough to adjust the VTF for the cartridge. So I ordered a heavyweight from Expressimoaudio. Then I find out my ordered on audioadvisor for a record brush, Shure stylus force gauge and protractor hasn't been shipped yet because the brush was on back order (ordered on 10/30). Again, not a big deal. I simply asked them to ship the SFG and protractor first. Last, but definitely not least, I find out the Rega arm is broken. I've contacted the seller and he has graciously agreed to get me another arm. This rig better sound really really good. Right now, it's just sitting there looking pretty and taunting me. I even dug out my two boxes of records, blew out the dust, and started up my allergy.

Edit: I keep on reading Tyrion's thread about how great it is and he's getting to me.

All right it sucks, does that help. The smartest thing I did was take the tt directly to a local audio shop after I received it from ups. I paid the guy $30 (usually $50) and had him set it up for me. When I got to his shop, he had it set up in his system and he let me listen for while to make sure I was happy. I am sorry you are having so much trouble. At least he is replacing the arm. I suggest that when you get it back take it to someone for setup, you won't regret it.

Nov 6, 2004 at 5:07 AM Post #26 of 26
Yeah thanks Tyrion. Vinyl sucks! Although it doesn't sound like that from your other thread. You got me so excited that I ordered $200 worth of vinyl lastnight.

I was actually feeling pretty good about myself for trying for the first time to setup the table (my second table). It felt pretty good putting the pieces together. My first table was pre-assembled and setup. I simply went through the motion of checking VTF and cart alignment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back