why do you love vinyl?
Oct 31, 2004 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
i'm not asking for the vinyl folks out there to justify themselves. not at all. i can understand the power and beauty of an analog recording. i don't have a turntable right now, but maybe i'll be able to swing one in the near future. anyway, tell me, what is it about vinyl that you love?

Oct 31, 2004 at 12:58 PM Post #2 of 26
A few of the reasons I enjoy vinyl.

Many titles have never made it to CD.

Vinyl to me when done well seems to have a wider and more realistic soundstage.

I think many vinyl recordings were done with more care than we see today.

Thumbing through recordings brings back memories.

It is fun to have people over to listen and watch their face as they hear things they never heard before. (Actually this happens with CD's as well)

Oct 31, 2004 at 1:03 PM Post #3 of 26
I truly enjoy the whole vinyl experience starting with the search for new vinyl. I grew up listening to vinyl so it brings back memories when I find an album that I owned as a kid. I enjoy cleaning the albums so there aren't quite as many pops when I play it. The sound on a good piece of vinyl is just a pleasure to listen to.

This isn't fair, my tt is sitting in the shop, where it is being professionally set up, which means I have to wait until tomorrow to listen.

Oct 31, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #5 of 26
Being relatively new to vinyl, I enjoy how inexpensive it can be to procure huge amounts of "new" high-quality music to listen to. Many of my coworkers are baby boomers who amassed sizable record collections that they generally took good care of, but have let them sit in their basements and closets for the last ten years. They don't seem to mind selling entire collections for $1 a record if they know the person taking them will enjoy them and take care of them. Consequently, I've been exposed to a lot of 70's and 80's pop in the last year. I need to find some jazz fans fast. :)

I do also enjoy the rituals surrounding vinyl, the careful adjustment of the cartridge and tonearm, the cleaning of the records, the brushing before each play. Even the process of hopping up every 20 minutes or so to lift the tonearm, pop off the clamp, and flip the record over is more engaging than throwing in a CD and walking around for an hour, barely paying attention to it.

Dan

Oct 31, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 26
All the memories associated with good old days ... although most recording quality also suffered from various monitors used in the good old days. =)

I just love looking at stylus riding on spinning LP ...

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:04 PM Post #7 of 26
because it looks sexy on women
icon10.gif

and i hafta agree that i love watching that record spin round'

the music itself seems much more lively in my experience.

Oct 31, 2004 at 7:35 PM Post #8 of 26
There is nothing like the intimacy of records (sonically and physically speaking). Placing a classic record on the TT and watching it spin while enjoying an evening of music (with or without a significant other) is truly unique to the vinyl experience. The sound of good records is still untouchable in the air and upper harmonics, facets which are non-existent in Redbook; these qualities add a natural, organic sound that I’ve yet to hear reproduced in the digital realm. Though I didn’t grow up with analog, I still enjoy its euphony and classic appeal. I’ll refrain from listing my gripes with records/analog in this thread…
cool.gif

Oct 31, 2004 at 8:15 PM Post #9 of 26
I hate vinyl.
The extra work, expense, fragility.
I received an LP last week, did an AB with the CD and regrettably concluded the LP was superior to the CD.
Damn!

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 26
Because I can, and generally do, buy five LPs a week for $23. And all of the above.

Oct 31, 2004 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by zowie
Because you can heat it to around 350 and sniff the fumes.

LOL
icon10.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #13 of 26
It's just so organic and natural. I love how you can see it working. A CD goes in the player, out of sight, and music comes out. Nothing wrong with that, but with an LP you can see how it's working, physically. I love the care that goes into it all. I baby everything. It's so nice
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
A few of the reasons I enjoy vinyl.

Many titles have never made it to CD.

Vinyl to me when done well seems to have a wider and more realistic soundstage.

I think many vinyl recordings were done with more care than we see today.

Thumbing through recordings brings back memories.

I would echo John's comments. Plus I would add that:
  1. I actually enjoy the process of cleaning the vinyl.
  2. Having to flip the record over after about 25 minutes ensures that I probably won't fall asleep while listening.
  3. One of my favorite things to do is to spend a couple of hours with my oldest son perusing used vinyl/CD stores. We did that this afternoon.
  4. Have you ever heard an audiophile pressing through the Omega II's? It is amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back