Why do you listen with headphones?
Mar 14, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #16 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
1) Listening Time (I mainly listen late at night when at home)
2) Listening Environment (I can't use speakers at work, or at the library)
3) Cost of entry (same quality or better for a lot less vs. speakers)
4) I actually like the headphone presentation. I feel closer to the music.

x4

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #17 of 48
Quote:

Well said. x5

Ant

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

x6

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #19 of 48
1) I'm on the move a lot. Dorm room, mom's house, dad's house, etc. etc.
1.5) I love being outside when I can. Can't listen to speakers on the shores of Lake Michigan.
2) Can listen without disturbing others as much
3) Cost. Other needs call like photo gear, etc. See #3 above
4) Far easier to immerse oneself in the music. See #4 above

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

X6

Originally they were only for when I was out of the house and couldn't listen to my speakers (only comp speakers but not bad I thought) Now however I realise that my headphones are better then my speakers (but then they are 4-5 times the price!)

So yeah - point 4 just does it for me. I fall in to the world of the music and everything else can just fade away and leave me surrounded by this cacoon of music where I can't be touched by anything but the sounds of the music.

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

x7
smily_headphones1.gif

Offtopic: Did anyone else see the "X6" post and think that it looks like a cross-eyed sad face with its tounge sticking out? :p

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #22 of 48
I have a world-class speaker-based hifi. I listen to headphones:

1. On the road (I travel out of town a lot).
2. In bed (after the wife falls asleep).
3. At work
4. Running

But that totals FAR more listening time than my speaker-based hi-fi gets. And I do REALLY dig listening on headphones.

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #23 of 48
1. I live in a duplex house in the city, with all rooms sharing a wall with the neighbors, and, on our side of that wall, several bedrooms adjoining my listening room. I'm home and have my prime listening time in the late evening through the wee hours of the morning.
2. I LOVE the intimacy of the headphone sound, and the sense of having private, quality time with my favorite composers and performers while listening. Headphones and the qualities of their sound suit my temperament really well and provide me with an enjoyable refuge from the demands and intrusions of everyday life, which is what I need to recharge.
3. I'm doing audio on a low-to-mid-fi budget, and headphone components certainly allow me to climb higher on the quality curve within that budget region than their larger, higher power counterparts comprising a speaker rig.

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:52 PM Post #24 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenratiophi
x7
smily_headphones1.gif

Two people posted "x6" so the current count is x8. Setting the record straight.... fwiw... probably a x0
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #26 of 48
I simply enjoy the presentation of headphones MUCH more than speakers. I cant stand speakers for the most part, they sound amazingly uneven for me if I'm not dead center of them, which is very rare.

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #27 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icehawk
Mainly so I don't have to hear the cows at work and their crappy music

Why do the cows at work always have to listen to the crappiest music?

I so wish I could listen to headphones at work, but sadly I have to take phone calls and talk with others pretty regularly.

Damn cows.

Mar 15, 2006 at 12:41 AM Post #28 of 48
They have let me re-discover music.
Price ratio versus quality of music(two daughters in college).
Listen mainly late night.
Let's me become a part of the music, a sometimes "escape" from the outside world.
Ordered K-701's from Jamey today. He was VERY helpful. Thanks Jamey.
Jim

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:28 AM Post #29 of 48
I used to listen to music with speakers and all on our lovely set at home... then I decided that the only way I could watch TV at 3 in the morning and not disturb anybody was to get a pair of headphones.
Then when I got my first mp3 player (skipped the whole thing with discmans and I was too small to carry a walkman around), I started with consumer electronics.

Now with only the laptop as my source of enjoyment, I'm using headphones as 1) the laptop speakers are disgusting
2) my roommate hates my music

I also went into IEMs for my plane trip back home this Christmas, mainly because I wanted to preserve my hearing (after spending a significant amount of time on this forum)

Now I'm expanding the limits of my laptop (high class headphones, amp, DAC), and only several years in the future may I consider looking into speakers.

A part of it is also a reaction to my parents. If anything, THEY bought the high-end equipment first, but these days my dad insists on using the low-grade consumer stuff (lowest of the consumer, not low = consumer) because he's decided that he can't tell the difference. Plus, we lack the space in our apartment for that.

Mar 15, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #30 of 48
Basically for the same reasons that others have stated here.

1. It keeps the neighbors happy and I feel comfortable listening to my music (or any kind of music) at any hour of the day.

2. I can't afford a nice hi-fi speaker rig.

3. I'm pretty used to headphones, i've been using them for years and years and I like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back