Why Do You Listen To Headphones
Jan 20, 2002 at 9:02 PM Post #17 of 44
Because I travel often, and because great headphones provide a window into the music that is nearly always unsurpassed by other means of reproduction. What Vert says not withstanding, I find a relatively simple, low-buck headphone system, such as my reference '580s+TAH, to often better six-figure US$ home stereos. The room mucks up the sound too much. Only big dual-concentrics such as the Tannoy D700 and bigger can compete with the '580s for my attention.

Jan 20, 2002 at 9:51 PM Post #18 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Dont want to hook my expensive eq up to my comp so enter the world of headphones :
biggrin.gif

And of course for portability...

You cant beat a good speaker system for LOUD clear undistorted music with a hell lot of bite
biggrin.gif

Your avatar: I see my favorite super hero -- Hobbes.

A person of true taste and distinction.

Jan 20, 2002 at 10:28 PM Post #19 of 44
I am listening to lots of music on Headphones recently for two reasons:

Firstly, you guys on here are so enthusiastic about Phones that it's hard no to join in. Plus the sound from headphones is so good and so involving at times.

Secondly. My old man is forever bellyaching about how my speakers are booming and how he can't hear the TV downstairs. Funny thing is, when I have my headphones on, I can hear the TV downstair fine as it booms around the house as my parents have it on so loud and even have subtitles (closed captions) to boot.

So my £5.5k tube amplifiers and my £2k speakers sit idle whilst I have to listen to my music on $600headphones.

Don't get me wrong I love my Stax headphones and you can have them "When you can pry them from my cold dead hands!" but I bought those Amps and Speakers to listen to; no to gather bloody dust.

Pissed off? Me? I don't know the meaning of the word !

No so sound at the moment
mad.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #20 of 44
Quote:

I hope you realize that "even" the Sennheiser 600 and Grado RS-1 are Class A...not to mention the Stax Omega II.

Yeah and I don't own any of em.
wink.gif
I own the R10s though which aren't Class A for some very very wierd, strange reason.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 20, 2002 at 10:57 PM Post #21 of 44
Variety. I listen mainly to speakers, but sometimes while at my computer or while reclining in the Lazy-Boy chair, it's nice shut the world out with the detail and intimacy headphones provide.

Jan 21, 2002 at 5:53 AM Post #22 of 44
I use my $20 closed headphones to concentrate while at my computer...doing what else, but reading everything the "headphone community" has to say.

I quickly found this was more than just a waste of time. I'm just another sucker who NEEDED better headphones, spent the money, and am currently awaiting the NEEDED amp.

JMT, you're my hero

Dec 16, 2019 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 44
That’s a good question.

Portable devices got me into headphones back in the day. It was really CNET that started it all for me.

I used to listen to full-size headphones frequently because other people were in the house and the house was cramped.

But these days, I’m now in a totally new and different environment where I can listen speakers anytime and loud too. So speakers is what I mostly listen to since I actually prefer speakers over headphones. But I still love headphones anyway.

However, if I’m out at a coffee shop or traveling, I bring my IEMs.

Dec 16, 2019 at 5:46 AM Post #24 of 44
In the mid 1970s someone introduced me to the best album by my favorite band.....playing loud on a pair of Koss headphones. So I started to guess that there was something cool there. By 1982 I had a first rate speaker rig, but always appreciated the difference headphones provided.

It’s simply a different way than room speakers to listen to music.

Dec 20, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #26 of 44
Now when I spend a lot of time working on computer headphones are somehow natural way to listen when you sit before monitor.
I tried with speakers but its less convenient . It’s difficult to maintain same position to keep stereo image as good as on headphones and problems with room acoustic, environment, people.

I thing headphones is the less expensive and easier way to start experience music. Different than speakers more personal and intimate.
Discovering personal preference and choosing matching headphones is difficult part as we can see on this forum :)

Dec 20, 2019 at 5:13 AM Post #28 of 44

Users who are viewing this thread

Back