Why do you like bass ( deepness , impact , blablabla ) ??
Mar 24, 2006 at 4:44 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by flibottf
Bass has become the black sheep of audiophiles for some reason and I never understood why. Although e4c has great mids and highs, I don't find it natural at all with the lack of bass... In no way it sounds like live vocals or instruments..

When I hear audiophile say that any amount of bass is unatural are downright wrong.. It's the kind of bass that might sound unatural just like midrange or treble... bass is part of the music so bass is all about high-fidelity with respect to the rest of the frequency range (audiophile : a person who is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound reproduction).

enjoy your music the way you like it but you're not an audiophile if you dislike any kind of bass....

I agree, and I'm not ashamed to use the bass boost on my PR-II with my Etys and helps that the bass boost on the PR-II was designed to minimize its effects on male vocals as much as possible.

With my K701, however I've found that after even a modest break-in I no longer need any bass boost (okay, okay sometimes 2-3 dB when I'm feeling it
icon10.gif
).

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by sxr71
I agree, and I'm not ashamed to use the bass boost on my PR-II with my Etys and helps that the bass boost on the PR-II was designed to minimize its effects on male vocals as much as possible.

With my K701, however I've found that after even a modest break-in I no longer need any bass boost (okay, okay sometimes 2-3 dB when I'm feeling it
icon10.gif
).

Don't forget that it requires a doubling of power to increase the SPL by 3 db. If you don't have the horsepower (which really isn't much when it comes to headphones) you run the risk of amplifier clipping when you ask for more bass at higher volumes.

Joe

Mar 24, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #48 of 56
Tight and deep. There doesn't have to be that much, and it doesn't have to "slam" like a rock headphone (I listen to little rock these days). Sometimes I do like a bit more warmth/bloom, but more often than not a leaner sound turns me on these days (invariably, it always helps the mids).

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:10 PM Post #49 of 56
Bass was never terribly high up on my priorities for headphones. Then I got an HD-280 (ironically know for a lack of bass among some) but I now really do find myself enjoying the lower octives that they provide - I'm basically hearing more music with them.

Mar 24, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
?
*and rarely "
k1000smile.gif
I'm awestruck by those middles"

I've never imagined myself saying that...

...until I got my firsts IEMs, Shure E3.

Now I'm still missing A LOT this mids in my UM2...

Mar 26, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #52 of 56
i think its important to note that the human body, the brain, and all living things operate at very low frequencies; think about a flagella flapping around in space, and brain waves. I think music is not just about hearing with your ears but feeling it with your body as it moves through it, encompassing and engulfing you with reverberation deep down inside

Mar 26, 2006 at 8:12 PM Post #54 of 56
i love bass because i play the bass and trombone. I love the rich farting tonality coming out of a trombone like in the end of Channel One Suite. It just makes me feel good for some reason. Also, sometimes i just like the feel of the bass kicking my ear.

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:18 AM Post #55 of 56
I pay special attention to the bass on a headphone because most of them have problems with bass and soundstage/imaging.

If you listen to live music very often you discover that with most headphones you miss a "baseline" of bass information. It's like a garden with flowers (midrange) and trees (highs) but without a nice, green grasp (bass) providing a cohesive imagen to the picture.

Some headphones (most of them) give a very thin or thin (but very nice, green and uniform) grasp. Some others (not many) give tall grasp but uncontrolled and wild. Only a very few do it right.

However some of the ones providing a thin but very nice bass can be matched with an amp that coud help in that regard in order to do things right.

But some headphones doesn't need that help. L3000, PS-1 and OmegaII for example.

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #56 of 56
I love a set of nice cans, that has warm, lush, butter smooth mids. The perfect can for me would be the mids of the E4c, the highs of an SR-125, and the bass of the A900LTD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back