Why do you have multiple headphones of the same type?
Oct 30, 2003 at 6:34 AM Post #31 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic

I don't understand why you think this is odd. Many, many people have multiple pairs of shoes -- why would headphones be different?

or tools, or handbags (women), more then one outfit, or cars (people that can afford more than one often have more than one), etc....

Oct 30, 2003 at 6:56 AM Post #32 of 37
Well first off, I have two setups (digital and analog) that are somewhat separate, and looking at a third (bedside). Second, I fell in love with the sound of my Senn HD580s and just wanted a pair of HD600s.

Admittedly my HD580s aren't getting a whole lot of use at the moment, but that may change... I've drifted back toward digital lately for reasons of convenience, but once I start buying records again all bets are off.
tongue.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #33 of 37
Got the ER-4S before I joined this place. Found out about them because I got a pair of ER-6 for a bday present. Got the MX400 and KSC-35 for portable use (Sony radio and iPod respectively). Joined Team Grado with the trade for SR80s and don't really want to part with them. The DT 880 was purchased for some recliner listening through the receiver downstairs. Upgrado'd to 225s and now am ordering a pair of RS-1s.

Oct 30, 2003 at 7:01 AM Post #34 of 37
Excellent responses. I guess I wanted to see if there were any other justifications besides collecting. I mean let's not call apples oranges here. Collecting is a good reason too, but I know (with my other hobbies), some people justify it to themselves in different ways.

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:05 PM Post #35 of 37
Quote:

Originally posted by sygyzy
For those of you that have multiple headphones of the same type, that serve basically the same purpose, why?

The hidden assumption here is that headphones of a similar type serve a similar purpose. They don't. The sounds of different "closed" headphones can be, and are, very different. Same with open headphones. So, it becomes a matter of trying to accomplish a particular sonic goal, within constraints that may limit a particular system (my office setup needs to be portable, for example).

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:34 PM Post #36 of 37
one for home, one for portable

you are forgetting a dir1000c for movies
smily_headphones1.gif

And then, myself I added a clip on phone, for use when the portable can is not sutable:
1. When its so cold you have to wear a cap (works perfect with a cap, just clip on to ears and pull cap over them)
2. They are so extremely portable so if you are going somewhere and maybe will end up taking the buss back home alone, its nice to keep them in your pocket to have ready, along with a small flash based mp3 player

so, thats home phone, movie phone, portable phone, clip on phone thats the ideal essential lineup for me (altho I have more than 4 phones) but thats just luxury
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 30, 2003 at 3:56 PM Post #37 of 37
I have 2 , of which both are closed ( Sony cdk3 and Ety er-4s)
I like both for a different reason and use them depending on my mood.
If I have more $$, I will buy 1 more open cans to complete my inventory.
But I can live with my current gears
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back