Why do you hate the Beats so much?
Nov 29, 2011 at 8:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 55

cozmert

New Head-Fier
Seriously guys (and girls obviously) why do you hate Beats so much. I wasn't a member of this site but i was following the forums for information. After reading about how the Beats sucked (even though i had PRO Solo's and loved them), i decided to buy another pair of cans... Everyone seemed to praise the Ultrasone's HFI-580, and they said it had great bass. One of the members even said that it had better bass than Beats Pro's. So i went to the store today and bought one. (Since i live in Turkey i didn't have a choice to listen them before buying) So here is the deal, i know it has to burn-in for a while but for now it doesn't even come close to the bass that Solo HD's has. It is more punchy, more lively and more... well everything. Sure, Ultrasone's has better treble and mids but if bass is the only thing you care for, and if you listen to hip-hop - electronic music i think Beats can not be beaten. Because i believe every headphone is designed to listen to certain type of music, and Beats are created to listen to Electronic, Hip-Hop, Pop and alike.  

So can please someone explain why do you hate beats so much (please don't tell me they sound muddy, or lack treble because like i told you there are some people just like to hear a hard punch in their ears)

Thank you all for your comments in advance

By the way, here is a list of other headphones i owned:

AKG Q701

Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO

Shure SE 215 In-Ear

Beats Solo HD

Ultrasone HFI-580

And my amps

Fiio e5

Fiio e11

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 55
Sony XB500 or XB700 with some bass boost.

That will give your Solo HD's a run for their money for bass.

XB500 is $49USD* from Walmart in the US. 1/3 of the price*.

* Aging hip hop producer royalties not included

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 55
I briefly tried them: Too much emphasis on the bass at the expense of everything else and they seemed flimsily built to me. Definitely not worth the asking price.

But I wouldn't say I "hated" them. If someone offered me some for free I'd happily take them and I'd probably listen to them from time to time.

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:45 AM Post #4 of 55
If you just want bass, nothing beats Sony's XB series. People here say Beats are not worth that much money, although they are not bad (like if they cost $100 for example).

Muddy or boomy bass doesn't hit hard. Punchy bass is controlled and tight. When you pay for over $300 or $500, people expect certain minimum technicality is met regardless of sound signature. Muddy bass or boomy midbass are not words that should associate with headphones that are priced in the upper end catergory (upper mid to lower higher end).

By the way, you should realise head-fiers like making jokes. Making fun of Beats is one of them. Buying Beats is like throwing money away (look at the figurative picture thread)

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 55
I haven't tried xb700 but xb500's? Come on... All you hear is bass and not very good of it. It's just loose i don't know how to say it... well maybe moaning =) Beats are punchy and when you listen to them i don't know if you like them but at least you definitely say WOW! It's just my opinion of course thanks for replying. 

Nov 29, 2011 at 8:57 AM Post #6 of 55
I haven't heard the Sonys but the Beats Studio I listened to just sounded thunderous to me, the headphone equivalent of those meat-heads with 2-3 12" subs in their cars. Punchy is definitely not an adjective I'd use to describe it.
I guess that's fine if you a more interested hearing loud thumping noises than actual music. Sometimes I feel that way myself, but I'm not paying $400 for it.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #7 of 55
Perhaps, a thread about fanboys will help you understand. We are all a fanboy of something. It's obvious that some people like the Brand "By Dr Dre" more than anything. However, most head-fiers tend to buy headphones based on sound quality and sound signature alone. They argue there are better options out there.

If XB500 has too much bass for you to take, I guess you're not a "true" basshead, LOL. Try HTF600s, a milder treatment for bassheads for only $40, without "compromises" on the other aspects like mids and highs.

This thread will tell you everything you need to know about headphones for bassheads.
Beats by Dre Pro is included there as well. If you have tried many of those headphones listed there that are cheaper than your Beats and still think your Beats are better, then that's good for you. You may start telling people about how Beats are the best for bassheads, but I doubt head-fiers will listen though just because of one person.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #8 of 55
I didn't hate them when I first say them at my local Best Buy, but I was certainly not paying $300 and up for them. Then I read the [H]ardOCP review. They hit on everything, from the flimsy construction to how they were totally unsuitable for nearly every task they threw at it, except for listening to rap and current pop.

I still don't hate them, but I want them even less. Prime candidate for a return if someone got me a pair as a gift.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #9 of 55
Well if you look at the other headphones i owed you'll see obviously i'm not a fan boy. If i were i wouldn't pay for AKG's or Beyerdynamics would i? My point is i must be missing something since i still think the Beats has the best bass. And about describing the bass, maybe i should say "kicking" bass... Is that a right definition of it? 

And finally i'm not arguing about the value for money... If it has the best "kicking bass" and no other headphone in the same price range can compete with it, you can't talk about a value/money consideration. 

Again that's just my opinion, and thanks for commenting.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #10 of 55
Around headfi, I find people are generally more balanced consumers.

Its all about value/price.

If I found the Beat Studio's sitting somewhere in the 60-80$ bracket, I would jump all over that. At that range they would be an excellent value. The issue arrives when you look at the other cans sitting in its much higher price bracket. When you have experience with Denon 2000, HD600's and DT 880's you realize the SQ you get from the beats are highly overrated.

Do they sound horrible for a set of headphones? Absolutly not. Do they start sounding worse and worse when you compare them to other options at their price point? Sadly, yes.

Other options have the "kicking" bass you describe, without giving up what the Beat Studio's do.

Of course in headphones EVERYTHING is personal opinion. So if you like your beats im quite happy for you! thats all that matters and you shoudnt care what other people think. If everyone hated my Denon 2000's or HD650's I would not bother me in the least bit.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #11 of 55
No, I wasn't talking about you specifically. I was answering your question about why head-fiers don't like the Beats. Head-fiers don't like them because of the fanboyism displayed by non-audiophiles, just like how gamers don't like macs because of the fanboyism displayed by the general public.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 55
Hey nmxdaven, thanks for commenting

You said "Other options have the "kicking" bass you describe, without giving up what the Beat Studio's do."

Can you recommend me one? I am really curious and i want to try one out.

Nov 29, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #14 of 55

Quote:
Hey nmxdaven, thanks for commenting

You said "Other options have the "kicking" bass you describe, without giving up what the Beat Studio's do."

Can you recommend me one? I am really curious and i want to try one out.

Unfortunatly I cant know what your real taste are when it comes to a sound signature, but the following are known to have a great bass responce for under the 200$ mark (Often much cheaper if you look around)

- V-moda Crossfade
-Sony MDR-XB700
-Audio Technica ATH-m50
-Denon D2000

Of the ones mentioned here, the first 3 would float your boat me thinks. The Denons go very low indeed, but they are more the audiophiles bass cans. Very tight and detailed. Of course all this dosnt mean a thing if you already like your studios. Just stick with them! No reason in buying new cans unless you just want to look around a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back