why do you choose headphones?
Jun 6, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #91 of 107
Portability, ease of storage, being able to listen to whatever at any time of the day at any volume, and I personally think that you can get more detail through headphones than through speakers.

I know the latter point is hotly debated. But I've only heard one pair of floor model speakers that have come close to the level of detail that you can get out of a good pair of headphones.

Jun 6, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #95 of 107
cheaper
easier to have variety (different phones means different sound sig)

one limitation of HPs IMO is that you can't share your experience with another audiophile friends at the same time unlike speakers, which all of you can be in the room enjoying the sound at the same time and start the "mine is better than yours" argument.
deadhorse.gif

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:26 PM Post #97 of 107
Portability would be the most obvious factor, but beyond that, I enjoy the no-fuss element of headphone usage - I have little to worry about in terms of set-up, room acoustics, and equipment footprint. I do believe that headphones offer a stronger cost/performance ratio than speakers. With that said, I rarely listen to my headphones during the day, defaulting back on my computer speakers. I do prefer the more open and comprehensive sound of speakers.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #98 of 107
As previously mentioned, if you wanted the detail and clarity that high-end headphones offer you'd have to spend a hell of a lot more on speakers to get that same quality.

Jun 6, 2010 at 11:49 PM Post #99 of 107
I choose headphones because I donr really have a choice. My wife is always home when I am since we work the same hours and she doesnt like listening to music that much and defiantly doesnt want to listen to mine.

Jun 7, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #100 of 107
I've happily used headphones for going on fifty years, but the reason I use headphones almost exclusively these days is that I no longer have any working amplifiers able to drive my speakers.

And unless I'm kidding myself I get a level of detail with headphones that I have never had with speakers.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #101 of 107
Very interesting thread. I couldn't help but notice many of you listen to hp's as to not disturb others. I mostly listen to them because I'm otherwise disturbed by other's noise. I'm highly noise sensitive, yet also deeply love music, so hp's is an obvious choice for me in such situations where I'd otherwise be bothered by noise.

I wear them at work when I'm not working on any audio (I'm a video producer), at home when our pets (or my wife) are making noise, and always when cutting grass.

Like a couple of you said, another benefit is listening to anything you want, no matter how weird, and not having to explain yourself to anybody.  I also like the more musical detail and stereo imaging/centered sound stage no matter where I'm listening.

However, there are some negatives for me, too, which is why I can't say I prefer headphones over speakers. These are not being able to hear anything else so people can sneak up on me, or my wife can get frustrated by yelling at me and I never hear her with hp's on. I also don't like being thethered to something, especially if I'm trying to work on something physical. However, with the ipod and light ear buds of these times, this is a lot better than it used to be. In the 1970's, I owned a pair of big Sansui's where I about "had" to lay down to use them because they were so heavy! I now own a few pairs I can be comfortable wearing for long periods of time, although compared to many posts I've read here, it's not "that" long, anywhere from 2 to 4 hours would normally be a long time for me.

When I'm home alone, I never wear hp's but use my speakers. btw, my main speakers are giant vintage Pioneers w/15" woofers I have placed on either side right next to my desk as I'm at my desk most of the time. 

So, I can't say I'd choose hp's over my speakers, but at times, I would, like right now because the bird is chirping, dog is yelping, wife is yelling at him and the TV is blaring!

Aug 16, 2010 at 8:05 PM Post #102 of 107
I primarily use headphones so that I don't bother other people, but unfortunately, the more headphones I try, I find myself liking open cans more than closed ones, which more or less defeat the purpose of headphones for me. lol.

Sep 12, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #103 of 107
headphones give you pure intimacy. The first sound that you hear are the music not the fan, tv, people, cars etc. you mind can interact with the instrument, vocal, etc. To me the only way you can get close to that is experience with external speakers are to listen to them in a room by yourself and even then not even close to the personal experience you get with headphones. Also you don't have to blast your music to get all the details. they are also portable. they help not to bother others. to gain your own personal space.  so many reasons.

Sep 12, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #104 of 107
Because my 2000€ speakers + a 3000€ amp can't hope to match my 700€ headphones + amp combo in quality.

Because cans ignore room acoustics, the nr.1 bane of good sound reproduction.

However, speaker listening can be a more involving experience. I did prefer an acquaintance's 15k€ speaker set-up in a heavily acoustically treated listening space. I just don't have the money or desire to get to that point.

Sep 12, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #105 of 107
I think angle_sh00ter made a bit of a typo when choosing his name...

Yep! The correct answer is that he meant to write: "A Massive Troll"

rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back