Why do USB cables make such a difference?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #241 of 1,606
I agree, but having dropped several grand, if not more, on your Roon running music server, it makes sense to drop a bit more to replace the 'freebees' that comes with the server for both the power cord connecting it to the power supply and the digital cable (USB or other) connecting it to your DAC, provided you believe you hear a worthwhile improvement in musicality from your system having done so.
my unit comes with an odapi ps. It connects via USB audio quest diamond to chord TT HD USB port. The single biggest upgrade in sound is my streamer. USB is more insurance something you pay for peice of mind less so functional improvement. So how those bits gets to your dac do matter. In what for what sq improvements is debatable.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #242 of 1,606
I do believe USB cable makes a difference in sound quality. However, I remember reading quite a few audio reviews of certain USB cables where the reviewer talks about how one USB cable gives bass more heft, or has better treble extension. Now that is just ridiculous. USB cable does not change sound quality in THAT way. That's probably just the reviewer's brain playing tricks on him.

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #243 of 1,606
I do believe USB cable makes a difference in sound quality. However, I remember reading quite a few audio reviews of certain USB cables where the reviewer talks about how one USB cable gives bass more heft, or has better treble extension. Now that is just ridiculous. USB cable does not change sound quality in THAT way. That's probably just the reviewer's brain playing tricks on him.

When I posted (#205) a blind test of USB cables on the this thread on Sept 17 (my time), I noted that the better cables allowed you to better perceive/separate out the different elements in the recording. Specifically on the musical sample being listened to, while the base notes structuring the musical presentation was there in the inexpensive generic USB cable, it did not stand out or particularly appear to 'structure' the musical presentation, while with the more expensive dedicated USB cables, it certainly readily did so. It was not that the base had more heft, as such, rather that it had much more perceived presence and importance in the musical presentation.

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #244 of 1,606
When I posted (#205) a blind test of USB cables on the this thread on Sept 17 (my time), I noted that the better cables allowed you to better perceive/separate out the different elements in the recording. Specifically on the musical sample being listened to, while the base notes structuring the musical presentation was there in the inexpensive generic USB cable, it did not stand out or particularly appear to 'structure' the musical presentation, while with the more expensive dedicated USB cables, it certainly readily did so. It was not that the base had more heft, as such, rather that it had much more perceived presence and importance in the musical presentation.

Again though, we have to be careful in possibly confusing analogue cable attributes and qualities to digital cables.

It is possible that some digital cables act as filters and filter out RF and other noise. This noise (or its absence) can affect our perception of the music. This has nothing to do with the digital signal per se.

Also, cables do not necessarily have to be expensive to sound good. As we are finding with the bnc cables between Blu2 and Dave some cheap ferrites can often fulfill the filter function.

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #245 of 1,606
There are some interesting posts on the Dave thread which may shed some light on the USB cabling issue.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-613

One could deduct that noise not only comes through the source but through the cable as well, so perhaps different cables filter out the noise which makes the difference..?

Oh for the scientific people there is plenty of kit with measurements and video which helps.

In essence noise gets amplified in the amps and hence affects the music, zeros and ones not affected by the way.

Oct 4, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #246 of 1,606
There are some interesting posts on the Dave thread which may shed some light on the USB cabling issue.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-613

One could deduct that noise not only comes through the source but through the cable as well, so perhaps different cables filter out the noise which makes the difference..?

Oh for the scientific people there is plenty of kit with measurements and video which helps.

In essence noise gets amplified in the amps and hence affects the music, zeros and ones not affected by the way.
Hi Clive101,

People used to deal with EMI/RFI issues do not need at all such videos (wink+smile).

Cables can be tuned to be RF antennae.
You can tune your USB cable to receive FM radio frequencies and as such increase noise floor/ etc...Maybe some will like the result sound more (smile).

USB cable is not the only road/highway for EMI/RFI to reach your DACs/Amps/LS/Headphones ....

If your USB cable need to filter everything from 50Hz/60Hz (AC) up to 100MHz, at the end you will have no available data!

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #247 of 1,606
Hi Clive101,

People used to deal with EMI/RFI issues do not need at all such videos (wink+smile).

Cables can be tuned to be RF antennae.
You can tune your USB cable to receive FM radio frequencies and as such increase noise floor/ etc...Maybe some will like the result sound more (smile).

USB cable is not the only road/highway for EMI/RFI to reach your DACs/Amps/LS/Headphones ....

If your USB cable need to filter everything from 50Hz/60Hz (AC) up to 100MHz, at the end you will have no available data!

Well made me smile but I am sure we all agree zeros and ones are not being changed and noise is an issue.

The burning question if we all agree the sound if different with different USB cables it must be noise that is affecting the sound. (on the same equipment with different USB cables ). Mind you some people my not have a noisy environment so another variable..?

If that is true surely each individual USB cable handles the noise if a different way because of shielding and perhaps secondly ( perhaps not ) some sort of filter ..?

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:46 AM Post #248 of 1,606
[1] I am sure we all agree zeros and ones are not being changed and [2] noise is an issue.

1. If we are going to be even remotely logical/sensible about this, then we HAVE to agree this point. The alternative, that zeros and ones are being changed, must lead to the conclusion that the USB protocol does not/cannot work, that the perfect transfer of digital data is impossible and that the digital age does not and cannot exist, which of course would be patently ludicrous.

2. This is what I find bizarre. It would appear that some/many audiophiles do indeed agree/accept that noise is an issue but there's 2 problems with this: A. Audiophile DACs quote signal to noise ratios typically 100 to 1000 times greater than the signal to noise ratio which actually exists on pretty much any commercial recording. For this noise to be audible the manufacturers of these audiophile USB DACs must be lying massively about their signal to noise ratios. B. There are countless millions of non-audiophile DACs out there, pro-audio and mass produced consumer DACs, which do not suffer from noise. Take for example an iPhone, the component cost of DAC/amp/audio circuitry in an iPhone can't be more than about $20, those components are only an inch or so away from some pretty powerful EM/RF noise sources and yet there's no audible noise and, there are a number of pro-audio USB DACs (+ ADCs) costing less than $100 which are well enough designed to achieve their quoted noise floors (way below audibility) with any quality of USB signal/cable. Why do at least some audiophile DACs apparently fail to achieve these basics of electrical, EM/RF noise isolation and why do audiophiles appear to accept this? If I bought a car advertised as having say 400 hp, only to find out that it outputs much less horse power than a Ford Fiesta, unless I buy an expensive after-market accessory, I'd be demanding they automatically supply that accessory with the car or take the car back and give me a refund! So no, noise absolutely should not be an issue in ANY competently designed DAC and if a particular USB DAC requires a special/audiophile cable in order to operate optimally with any USB signal (and for any noise to be significantly below inaudibility) then it should be supplied with that cable in the first place!

The burning question if we all agree the sound if different with different USB cables it must be noise that is affecting the sound.

I can agree that different USB cables could sound different, given the condition of a faulty/incompetently designed DAC, but this still doesn't solve our issue. As theheadfier pointed out, in anecdotal audiophile reviews/opinions of different USB cables what we see is flowery descriptions of bass heft, treble extension, better separation, etc. But little/no mention of noise! The are only two possible, sensible explanations for this: 1. The DAC being used is competently designed and any differences between USB cables exist only in the perception/biases of the listener, rather than in the actual audio being output being output by the DAC or 2. The DAC being used is incompetently designed (the power/grounding/interference is not adequately isolated from the DAC's components) and the resultant noise is mistakenly interpreted by the listeners' perception as a loss of bass heft, treble extension, separation, etc. In either case, listener perception/bias is playing a large (or entire) part in what they believe they are hearing! The alternative is the ludicrous/illogical belief that the zeros and ones ARE being changed by the audiophile cable and not just any random zeros and ones but very specific zeros and ones being changed to very specific values. For this to occur, the audiophile USB cable would need some sort of intelligence, software+processing capability or magic!

G

Oct 5, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #249 of 1,606
1. If we are going to be even remotely logical/sensible about this, then we HAVE to agree this point. The alternative, that zeros and ones are being changed, must lead to the conclusion that the USB protocol does not/cannot work, that the perfect transfer of digital data is impossible and that the digital age does not and cannot exist, which of course would be patently ludicrous.

2. This is what I find bizarre. It would appear that some/many audiophiles do indeed agree/accept that noise is an issue but there's 2 problems with this: A. Audiophile DACs quote signal to noise ratios typically 100 to 1000 times greater than the signal to noise ratio which actually exists on pretty much any commercial recording. For this noise to be audible the manufacturers of these audiophile USB DACs must be lying massively about their signal to noise ratios. B. There are countless millions of non-audiophile DACs out there, pro-audio and mass produced consumer DACs, which do not suffer from noise. Take for example an iPhone, the component cost of DAC/amp/audio circuitry in an iPhone can't be more than about $20, those components are only an inch or so away from some pretty powerful EM/RF noise sources and yet there's no audible noise and, there are a number of pro-audio USB DACs (+ ADCs) costing less than $100 which are well enough designed to achieve their quoted noise floors (way below audibility) with any quality of USB signal/cable. Why do at least some audiophile DACs apparently fail to achieve these basics of electrical, EM/RF noise isolation and why do audiophiles appear to accept this? If I bought a car advertised as having say 400 hp, only to find out that it outputs much less horse power than a Ford Fiesta, unless I buy an expensive after-market accessory, I'd be demanding they automatically supply that accessory with the car or take the car back and give me a refund! So no, noise absolutely should not be an issue in ANY competently designed DAC and if a particular USB DAC requires a special/audiophile cable in order to operate optimally with any USB signal (and for any noise to be significantly below inaudibility) then it should be supplied with that cable in the first place!

I can agree that different USB cables could sound different, given the condition of a faulty/incompetently designed DAC, but this still doesn't solve our issue. As theheadfier pointed out, in anecdotal audiophile reviews/opinions of different USB cables what we see is flowery descriptions of bass heft, treble extension, better separation, etc. But little/no mention of noise! The are only two possible, sensible explanations for this: 1. The DAC being used is competently designed and any differences between USB cables exist only in the perception/biases of the listener, rather than in the actual audio being output being output by the DAC or 2. The DAC being used is incompetently designed (the power/grounding/interference is not adequately isolated from the DAC's components) and the resultant noise is mistakenly interpreted by the listeners' perception as a loss of bass heft, treble extension, separation, etc. In either case, listener perception/bias is playing a large (or entire) part in what they believe they are hearing! The alternative is the ludicrous/illogical belief that the zeros and ones ARE being changed by the audiophile cable and not just any random zeros and ones but very specific zeros and ones being changed to very specific values. For this to occur, the audiophile USB cable would need some sort of intelligence, software+processing capability or magic!

G

Well at least we agree the zeros and ones are not being changed.

Well an IPhone compared to the DACs we all use on the forum are a little different. Firstly we all use mains power ( well most IPhones I see are plugged in charging most of the time but that's a different issue ) and secondly the iPhone DAC may not produce a sound capable to show a difference with or without noise ( but I see you point ).

I have no doubt that all our DACs are not faulty and are working correctly.

When I connect my Torus Power supply the difference in the USB cables are closer which would seem to suggest noise and USB cable interaction ( as the cable is the other variable ).

If the DAC does not filter out noise do you suggest the DAC is faulty or the source of the noise...? Which may suggest why you think DACs may be faulty, I suppose it would be nice if they did filter out noise. If the DAC produces a lot of noise then I guess the DAC is to blame but in my case the Dave is a constant.

When the noise is reduced I get a clean sound no boom in the bass and no sharp treble.

I have no doubt as to noise entering though the mains and or into the USB cable ( poor shielding ) then into the DAC and being amplified on the analogue section and messing up the sound in someway.

Edit It could also be noise coming from the source ie server, laptop etc

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #250 of 1,606
[1] Well at least we agree the zeros and ones are not being changed.
[2] Well an IPhone compared to the DACs we all use on the forum are a little different. Firstly we all use mains power ( well most IPhones I see are plugged in charging most of the time but that's a different issue ) and [2a] secondly the iPhone DAC may not produce a sound capable to show a difference with or without noise ( but I see you point ).
[3] When I connect my Torus Power supply the difference in the USB cables are closer which would seem to suggest noise and USB cable interaction ( as the cable is the other variable ).
[4] If the DAC does not filter out noise do you suggest the DAC is faulty or the source of the noise...? Which may suggest why you think DACs may be faulty ...
[4a] I have no doubt as to noise entering though the mains and or into the USB cable ( poor shielding ) then into the DAC and being amplified on the analogue section and messing up the sound in someway.
[4b] Edit It could also be noise coming from the source ie server, laptop etc

1. Yes indeed. However, specific ones and zeros being changed in a specific manner is the only explanation which could account for many of differences typically described between USB cables. Unless of course those differences are not actually in the sound output but only in the listeners' perception.

2. It's not a different issue, it's all part of the same issue. Why would using mains power be different from using battery power? Yes, I've heard some audiophile explanations for why but those explanations are nonsense. Somehow, many audiophiles seem to have been convinced that handling mains power adequately is near impossible. This is simply untrue! It's untrue not just because science says so, it's untrue because competent electrical engineers say so and because there are a whole range of audio products, which have been on the market for many years, that actually demonstrate/prove this fact!
2a. Nope, iPhones have a very clean and linear output. The only potential drawback of iPhones is that they're not designed to power many of the bigger full size headphones.

3. Yes, I entirely agree! However, that observation misses the real point/question, which is: Why should a mains power supply and any USB cable interaction have any effect whatsoever on the output of a device advertised as a mains powered USB DAC? ...

4. I wouldn't put it quite that way but essentially yes, that's my position. I wouldn't put it that way because it's not really a question of a DAC actively filtering out noise, it's simply a question of competent design. The design of power supply handling, USB signal handling, grounding and isolation if done competently eliminates the possibility of noise anywhere near audibility getting through to a DAC's output. This brings us back to point #2 and how difficult it is to achieve this "competent design" or rather, how is it that many audiophiles seem to have been convinced that it's very difficult or virtually impossible? And, that DACs which do not achieve this level of competency are acceptable and furthermore, that it's then somehow acceptable to spend hundreds/thousands of dollars on USB purifiers, audiophile grade cables, audiophile grade power cables and power conditioners to cure the problems that any competent DAC design should have already eliminated.
4a. Case in point! If mains power is causing audible noise in your DAC's output, your DAC is either broken or has been incompetently designed. Likewise, if you need more shielding than is provided by a standard USB cable, it's because the isolation in your DAC is faulty or has been incompetently designed! So how difficult is this "competent design" really? Sure, at one time it was near impossible, then later it became possible but at a high price but today it's trivial, cheap and completely standard and expected ... except apparently in a segment of the audiophile world! If I bought a pro-audio DAC, advertised as mains powered, I would expect it to work optimally with mains power. If it didn't, if it required conditioned power to perform optimally (if conditioned power improved the output massively enough to be an audible improvement) I'd be straight on the phone asking for a replacement non-faulty unit or my money back if all their units are similarly faulty and, if it were the latter, I'd then be on the pro-audio forums warning others that it's a pile of junk to be avoided! Likewise with USB, if it required an audiophile USB cable and/or "purifier" to isolate from any audible USB power, computer or EM/RF noise, rather than the no brand USB cable it was probably supplied with. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about multi-thousand dollar pro-audio DACs, I'm talking about cheap $100 or so units, which have far higher component costs than audiophile DACs because they are also ADCs, include mic pre-amplifiers and have balanced and unbalanced outputs! So why can some/many audiophile DAC manufacturers apparently not achieve the level of competency achieved by pro-audio manufacturers for years, at a fraction of the price and which the pro audio community takes for granted? And why do many in the audiophile community apparently have such vastly different expectations of "competent design"? Ultimately the answer comes down to marketing, the desire/need of audiophile manufacturers to avoid the standard, proven solutions and attempt exotic designs which provide marketing opportunities/implications but fail to solve the already solved issues of isolation, power handling, etc.
4b. Another case in point. Any competently designed DAC should be isolated from server/laptop/source noise. Isn't the whole point of an external DAC to isolate from computer noise? All computers, servers and laptops produce significant noise, isn't your DAC designed to be connected to a standard computer, laptop or server? Can it only perform optimally with silent computers, servers or laptops, which don't actually exist in the real world? How is such a DAC not faulty or incompetently designed?

G

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #251 of 1,606
Thank you for the detailed reply and I sort of now see where your coming from ( an ideal world ) and if I may say I sort of agree on most of what you say ...! Surprisingly

Your talking about an idea theoretical world, I guess by the tone of your post...? If you think the ideal DAC should be immune from noise from computers servers I with you on that but unfortunately it is not the case, the designer of Dave has gone a long way to do exactly this, according to his posts at HeadFi and in the feed back by people using Dave. My experience is with better power supply and server the Sound Quality was cleaner, USB cables changed to a greater extent without the Power supply and server but perhaps I have more noise than others ..!

I suppose in the future we will see DACs and Servers immune to noise but for the moment I have yet to find one.

2a. Nope, iPhones have a very clean and linear output. The only potential drawback of iPhones is that they're not designed to power many of the bigger full size headphones.
Well this may be the case but I very much doubt that the iPhone can compete with Dave if the iPhone was connected to an amplifier but that's a different issue perhaps a different thread..?

Why would using mains power be different from using battery power?
You can get a bad electrical shock from mains electric. ( see my tech knowledge is not that great )

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:42 AM Post #252 of 1,606
Take two of the same cables and price one at 150 dollars and I'll bet the experts will find better sound out of the more expensive of the two. I've long suspected that most buyers would NEVER admit being duped into paying some of the outragious prices I've seen being offered for superior sounding USB cables. makes as much sense to me as tying a knot in your USB cable to slow down the ones' and zeros so they don't crash into each other or running your cable uphill.I imagine that with proper high end monitoring equipment you could see something, maybe better noise isolation because of better shielding but I doubt there is any real difference you can actually hear

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #253 of 1,606
[1] Your talking about an idea theoretical world, I guess by the tone of your post...? If you think the ideal DAC should be immune from noise from computers servers I with you on that but unfortunately it is not the case ... [1a] the designer of Dave has gone a long way to do exactly this ...
[2] You can get a bad electrical shock from mains electric. ( see my tech knowledge is not that great )

1. Ah but it is the case! I'm not talking about an ideal theoretical world, I'm talking about the real world of actual products which have been on the market for years and achieve exactly that level of immunity as standard and for peanuts! Again, ANY pro-audio DAC (ADC/DAC) which did not achieve that level of immunity would be instantly slammed/shunned by the pro audio community and for that reason no manufacturer would even bother releasing a DAC to the pro audio community which doesn't achieve that level of immunity.
1a. But apparently, from what you describe, the "long way" you mention is not nearly as long a way as pro audio DAC manufacturers achieved years ago and for a tiny fraction of the price! How come you believe that this "long way" to achieving audible immunity really is a long way and that actual audible immunity is only some sort of "ideal theoretical" concept, rather than an already solved issue in practise, to the point of it being a standard expectation even in very cheap pro audio units? Maybe there's another explanation but the one that jumps out at me is audiophile marketing.

2. We can look at this issue the other way around. If the use of mains power really is so unsolvably problematic but these problems don't exist with battery power, then why don't audiophile DAC manufacturers simply put a battery in their DACs? Buffer the mains power through a battery and hey presto all the problems vanish! Likewise with your power conditioner, if a DAC performs so much better with conditioned power then why doesn't the manufacturer simply put that power conditioning circuitry in their DAC in the first place, the trade price for that circuitry is peanuts?! That's effectively what pro audio ADC/DACs do and hence why feeding conditioned power to such a DAC does not make any difference.

G

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #254 of 1,606
2. We can look at this issue the other way around. If the use of mains power really is so unsolvably problematic but these problems don't exist with battery power, then why don't audiophile DAC manufacturers simply put a battery in their DACs?

It's called a Hugo.

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #255 of 1,606
1. Ah but it is the case! I'm not talking about an ideal theoretical world, I'm talking about the real world of actual products which have been on the market for years and achieve exactly that level of immunity as standard and for peanuts! Again, ANY pro-audio DAC (ADC/DAC) which did not achieve that level of immunity would be instantly slammed/shunned by the pro audio community and for that reason no manufacturer would even bother releasing a DAC to the pro audio community which doesn't achieve that level of immunity.
1a. But apparently, from what you describe, the "long way" you mention is not nearly as long a way as pro audio DAC manufacturers achieved years ago and for a tiny fraction of the price! How come you believe that this "long way" to achieving audible immunity really is a long way and that actual audible immunity is only some sort of "ideal theoretical" concept, rather than an already solved issue in practise, to the point of it being a standard expectation even in very cheap pro audio units? Maybe there's another explanation but the one that jumps out at me is audiophile marketing.

2. We can look at this issue the other way around. If the use of mains power really is so unsolvably problematic but these problems don't exist with battery power, then why don't audiophile DAC manufacturers simply put a battery in their DACs? Buffer the mains power through a battery and hey presto all the problems vanish! Likewise with your power conditioner, if a DAC performs so much better with conditioned power then why doesn't the manufacturer simply put that power conditioning circuitry in their DAC in the first place, the trade price for that circuitry is peanuts?! That's effectively what pro audio ADC/DACs do and hence why feeding conditioned power to such a DAC does not make any difference.

G

I am not familiar with these pro audio dacs and I would find it easier to understand the differences between pro audio and consumer if you could give some examples of typical Pro Audio DACs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back