Why do Tube amps supposedly work best with the GS1000i?
Jun 15, 2010 at 9:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

gooner26

New Head-Fier
You will have to excuse my naievety ( think that's how you spell it) but I'm interested to learn why Valve amps work great with Grado more than Solid State amps do? I tried a BCL with my SR60's & RS1i's and they seemed to synergise better with my SR60's. Why?

Also if i buy a GS1000i will it place me at the back row? I love the Grado sound of being on stage with the band it's just so much more exciting than most other headphones I've listened to, will I get that excitement from the GS1000is?

Regards Danny

Jun 15, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #2 of 11
I personally prefer tube amps with Grado's. Grado's are usually bright sounding cans with harsh treble and tube amps tame this bright treble and brings out the bass and the mids sound nice and warm. 

Jun 15, 2010 at 10:30 AM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the advice stang. I would have thought the warmth and liquid sound of valves would drown out the Grado's dynamics?

I'm thinking of purchasing the Woo Audio 6 SE (basic config)

regards Danny

Jun 15, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm new to this Head-Fi stuff (headphones in general).  I'm starting off slow... but I picked up a NuForce uDac, Little Dot I+, and have AKG K702, Modded SR80i, Modded DT770 Pro 80Ohm, and Sennheiser PX200-II.  My favorite headphone is the SR80i through the LD I+.  I truly love the upfront sound I get.  It was a little harsher (shrill?) through the uDac alone, but tolerable.  When I listen to it through the LD I+ (with upgraded OpAmp and Tubes)... I smile EVERY time!  I Love the sound.  So, I'm done with my desktop setup (computer)... I'm looking into a more refined setup for a personal listening station with comfy chair and all (can only listen for so long in front of a computer desk in a computer chair).

Jun 15, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
  So, I'm done with my desktop setup (computer)... I'm looking into a more refined setup for a personal listening station with comfy chair and all (can only listen for so long in front of a computer desk in a computer chair).

Great idea. Right now I am building a rig around my dt880. Next to my bed I am going to have: Playstation 1 SCPH-1002>MisterX M3>DT880 600ohm
Computer rig is: Zero DAC>MAD Ear+ HD>Grado HF-2

Back on topic, I chose the MAD Ear+ HD not only because I could get if for a lot cheaper than the WA6 at the time (bought it used), but also because I have heard it does better than the WA6 with Grado's in general. About losing dynamics, even if you do, you will most likely still prefer tubes with the Grado. If not, try looking for a Gilmore lite or EC/SS. Possibly a Millet Hybrid too.

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
I'm new to this Head-Fi stuff (headphones in general).  I'm starting off slow... but I picked up a NuForce uDac, Little Dot I+, and have AKG K702, Modded SR80i, Modded DT770 Pro 80Ohm, and Sennheiser PX200-II.  My favorite headphone is the SR80i through the LD I+.  I truly love the upfront sound I get.  It was a little harsher (shrill?) through the uDac alone, but tolerable.  When I listen to it through the LD I+ (with upgraded OpAmp and Tubes)... I smile EVERY time!  I Love the sound.  So, I'm done with my desktop setup (computer)... I'm looking into a more refined setup for a personal listening station with comfy chair and all (can only listen for so long in front of a computer desk in a computer chair).

That is one benefit of some tube amps that isn't explored often here.  That is some tube amps make the need for a better source upgrade less urgent - as they are able to mask, to a significant degree, some of the shortcomings of inferior dacs.

Jun 15, 2010 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I personally prefer tube amps with Grado's. Grado's are usually bright sounding cans with harsh treble and tube amps tame this bright treble and brings out the bass and the mids sound nice and warm. 

The GS1K is different from other Grados in that it's not bright or harsh in the treble. It actually syncs very well with the Grace m902, which is SS.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM Post #8 of 11
I too am new in this world of audiophile file something something. The idea of sitting in an Eames lounge chair and ottoman with a pair of Grado's running thru a small but efficient coffee table set-up sounds delicious. The cool thing about headphones is that it involves personal choice and opinion. As a result people tend to disagree. Wonderful.To the point. I've been thinking about getting the Grado sg1000i headphones. I demo'd a pair recently. They sounded fantastic. For a thousand clams they better. I like the Grado's low impedence and light as a feather wearability. On this site I recently saw a picture of a guys home set-up using re-cabled Senn hd800's, a Woo Audio WA6 connected to a laptop on a swivel, and a dac that I don't remember the name of. It looked really cool. I'm wondering if there is another way to drive the Grado's short of completely emptying the sugar bowl. I'll qualify this query by admitting to using B&W P5"s thru an iPhone 4 during my commutes. I appreciate a simple, lush, and slightly colored sonic representation. Whaateveer. LOL. This site is really cool. People are knowledgable and very helpful. On the Grado's I didn't notice the high end harshness frequently mentioned on this site. It could be my advancing age. It seems to me that environment, musical source, and physical state of being when one does they're listening really has a lot to do with how people interpret the qualities of any audio equipment. Thus ends my first post. Rock on!

Jan 15, 2012 at 10:12 PM Post #9 of 11
I am using the WA6SE with the Grado GS1000i.  The amp has managed to tame some of the brightness of the GS.  However, it still have sufficient low end to deliver the punch for rock music (eg, Bon Jovi, Guns & Roses).

Mar 27, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 11
Because Tube amps tend to be warmer. However some SS amps are warm or tube like. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back