Why do these Grado's sound so crazy good?
May 31, 2008 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Techran

New Head-Fier
Forgive me, my ears must be broken but, did these SR60's just oust my HFI-700's?

You see, I just received these badd boys (Grado SR60's) in the mail today and I put them on and braced myself for the sound. I wasn't sure what to expect and though I am an unrefined bass-head, these phones kick. I had read mixed reviews in the Bass spectrum about these headphones.

Of course I must realize that many would say that SR60's are open and HFI-700's are closed, I know this. The mids sound a lot more alive than the HFI-700's, that could be the "magic" that everyone who is Grado speaks of. I am hearing that the HFI-700's are deeper in bass and I really appreciate that. The SR60's are really well balanced to my ear, as everyone I have talked to has said. I feel I am a bit noob in headphone for not trying everything yet. I really must try all different manufacturer's/styles of headphones.

I have always wondered why I needed or wanted all sorts of different types of headphones. It allows a person to switch to whatever headphone you want to represent the music you listen to in order to fit the mood. (I deep down wish I had 8 sets of ears.)
wink.gif

All in all, I must say wow. You guys who speak so highly of Grado, I commend you for how right you all were.

Thanks for reading,

-Tech
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #2 of 28
Zanth put it in a lot of words in one of his reviews, and good ones at that, but I'll sum it up and just say "Grados just do it right", at least to my ears.

May 31, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #3 of 28
how much i like to have those headphones .... enjoy it while you can
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2008 at 2:23 AM Post #4 of 28
Dude, get them. They are a must have for anyone's collection... THEY ARE CLASSIC!!!

May 31, 2008 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need to get RS-1s, there's no stopping now.
wink.gif

Just say "no" after getting the 325i: that's your only chance of stopping! : )

May 31, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by John E Woven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sell everything, take a few more mortgages on the house, and buy yourself a few RS1's

along with PS1 and HP2
wink.gif

May 31, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #10 of 28
Well, these guys recommending the RS-1 are right. Although if I were you I'd stick with the SR-60 for now and simply enjoy it as much as you can. I still own mine and still enjoy it as when I bought it. Keep it even when you decide it's time for a RS-1.
Nice buy, use and abuse of it. You don't need an upgrade yet. You just began to experience the Grado world and is never coming back ...
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #12 of 28
Congrats! The SR60's are a great phone and the model I myself first bought as my first step in this hobby. I still have that pair (or well my wife does now).

I agree with epaludo...keep the SR60's and just listen and enjoy for a while before going up to the RS-1's. Sure the RS-1's are insanely good but so are the SR60's and they should be appreciated for what they are.

May 31, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #13 of 28
Yah, you can pretty much skip everything between the SR-60 and RS-1, and you should have both. SR-60 for kick around and beaters, and RS-1 for serious listening (side by side the difference in transparency is big).

PS: I have a stock pair of SR-60, an ALO woodied silver-cabled SR-60, stock MS-1, HF-1 Headcoverage woodied with APS v3 cable, and RS-1 with APS v3 cable. I love them all. The woodied HF-1 sound pretty close to the RS-1, and with APS V3 cable the RS-2 sounded pretty close to RS-1 as well (but with richer mids that made female vocals to die for).

May 31, 2008 at 6:59 AM Post #14 of 28
The SR60 are indeed a nice sounding headphone. Especially considering their price tag. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

May 31, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #15 of 28
O no, it has become a RS1 fan thread..
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back