Why do the HD-650 make my ears bleed (or what’s the closest dynamic phone to my Omega
Apr 19, 2007 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

sargon2003

New Head-Fier
I’ve had my 650s with a Cardas cord for about 2 years now but even at low volumes they seem to strain my ears after about 20 minutes. I’ve never been happy with then; which is strange as I have had a pair of 580s or 10 years and always liked them. I recently picked up some Stax Omega IIs and wow what a difference. Not only is the headspace FAR better but also I can hear the space and acoustics of the recording venue. When I go back to the 650s I feel like the interments just come and go out of a dull nothing.

So the question is:

Is there a dynamic phone that will give me some of that Omega space and resolution? I was thinking about trying the Grado GS 1000, but don’t know if they are going to be anymore resolving than the 650s.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #2 of 20
In terms of pure space and resolution, the Qualia 010 and K 1000 come to mind. To a lesser degree, but something I personally still like a lot, the SA5000 on the right equipment might do the job. But honestly, the Omega 2 is a special headphone and when driven properly, I find it's amazing and superlative (meaning no other can can do what it does well as well as it does).

In terms of general approach though, I've always liked the L3000 as a counterpoint/distant cousin to the Omega 2. It's fairly fast and resolving - depending on the equipment, I find it's much faster and resolving than the HD650 (though not always). It has a nice sense of space (though in a different way - it's more closed and intimate sounding than the airy Omega 2, but you do get a sense of the venue you're in, just smaller) and has lots of bass like the Omega 2. I'm not saying they share the same texture, which is key to the Omega 2, but for me, and this is just my personal opinion, I think they share certain characteristics that make them comparable to me.

Personally, I don't find the GS1000 to be that resolving. It's okay, but it's just different for me.

OH, almost forgot. You should also look into an HP1000. It is also highly resolving, but in a very different way. You need to let its sound envelop your ears and then you will get nothing but texture, much like a good O2 setup. But it does not have any of the air or sense of space that an Omega 2 will give you. But you get more impact.

Best regards,

-Jason

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 20
I was also looking to get a pair of phones for under 1k and just use the headphone out of my Resolution Audio preamp.

I guess for under 1k it would just be the Sony or the HP1000...

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by sargon2003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess for under 1k it would just be the Sony or the HP1000...

If you get lucky. HP-1000s usually go for more than $1000. I think about $1200-$1300 is the going rate in this forum.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:51 AM Post #5 of 20
You sound disappointed. Well, O2s are a top tier phone, you aren't going to match them in sonic traits with any dynamic phone without paying $$ ;p

I'm sure the SA5000 balanced will be pretty money with the right set up. Good luck.

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the SA5000 on the right equipment might do the job.

Any specific equipment that you recommend with the SA5000s?

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 20
I think we should keep in mind that the OP finds the HD-650 fatiguing after only 20 minutes. Since headphones like the Grado line and the SA5000 are much brighter, wouldn't they be even worse for him than the HD-650? It seems like he needs a "tamer" dynamic. The thing is that the HD-650 is already one of the least offensive ones out there...
confused.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 20
if you genuinely find the hd650 straining, fatiguing and feel like they are making your ears bleed after 20 mins there are only two possible reasons IMO..

1. you are listening way too loudly to badly recorded material
2. you have a dud pair of phones which are damaged...or a lemon...try another pair.

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:57 AM Post #9 of 20
Fatigue does not automatically mean bright or harshness in the treble, which the HD650 is certainly not. Fatigue can come from multiple sources, like an unnatural soundstage, physical discomfort, off-balanced tonality, unnatural timbre, etc. Listening fatigue occurs because the brain has to work a lot harder to try to compensate for what you are trying to hear but what the transducer is having difficulty reproducing.

Apr 19, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #11 of 20
...one more question i forgot. the head band isn't giving you a headache or migraine from excessive clamping force on sensitive pressure points? anything sounds fatiguing if you have a migraine.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

So the question is:

Is there a dynamic phone that will give me some of that Omega space and resolution?

The Ergo AMT has both, but has none of the bass and has a completely different tonality. Its also there with the K1000 in needing really good amplification.

Apr 19, 2007 at 5:17 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

I’ve had my 650s with a Cardas cord for about 2 years now but even at low volumes they seem to strain my ears after about 20 minutes. I’ve never been happy with then; which is strange as I have had a pair of 580s or 10 years and always liked them.

Doesn't seem strange to me. I upgraded from the HD-600 to the HD-650 heard them as technically better, and then virtually stopped listening to Sennheiser dynamic headphones. A friend recently gave me an HD-600 with the old blue Cardas "smurf" cable, and I'm back in Sennheiser heaven again. IMO the 580/600 (both use the same driver) is a better headphone than the 650 over the long term.

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:03 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Doesn't seem strange to me. I upgraded from the HD-600 to the HD-650 heard them as technically better, and then virtually stopped listening to Sennheiser dynamic headphones. A friend recently gave me an HD-600 with the old blue Cardas "smurf" cable, and I'm back in Sennheiser heaven again. IMO the 580/600 (both use the same driver) is a better headphone than the 650 over the long term.

It was the same for me. The 600 is simply better and it will be even better when I put electrostatic drivers in them
icon10.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #15 of 20
I agree with one of the members above. In my experience ear fatigue does not necessarily mean bright headphones. I don’t think the HD-650 is bright. Also I don’t mean to say that I hate them, I just could never enjoy them. I thought it was just that I was getting sick of headphones in general but the Omega’s made me question that. Also I don’t play headphones at high volume, but the funny thing is that I get more ear fatigue using the 650s at a low volume than the Stax at a high volume.

Also I find it strange that while the 650s are CLEARLY better than my 580s I never had any fatigue issues with them and frankly I think I enjoyed them more. This really always confused me.

I have had this sort of thing happen before in speaker based systems (although headphones clearly amplify the effect), even really expensive ones.

I would rather not have to deal with electrostatics, which is why I was looking for a sub 1k dynamic headphone that I can enjoy. I though maybe the Grados would fit the bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back