Why do so many headphones have crappy stock cables?
Mar 13, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #16 of 163
tongue.gif

Good point.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #17 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Alternatively, they could be nice like the D5000/7000 and newer D2000.

The newer D2000 has the same cable as the old D2000. The rumor that the new D2000 has a new cable needs to die because it is not true.

The only problem with the stock D2000 cable is that Denon gave in to the thicker is better crowd and made a cable with a thick plastic covering that isn't very flexible. An inconvenient cable that gets tangled by even a single twist, but it looks primo. A cable that is more like the stock HD650 cable would be better.

Mar 13, 2010 at 1:35 PM Post #19 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by MomijiTMO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well would we agree that Denon is a company that has attempted to not make a crappy stock cable but people will still find a fault?

Yes. Unfortunately it is a game that no headphone manufacturer can win. Any cable they put on people are going to complain. Even the HD800 cable gets panned for not being good enough.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #20 of 163
how is a very thick and heavy dual ended cable an "improvement"? I feel enslaved to my headphones on those...I want as an light as possible single ended cable, it almost feels wireless in comparison.

and I firmly believe that the cable is carefully chosen by the manufacturer to match the drivers FR.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:52 PM Post #21 of 163
can't a cable be tested for physical specs like impedance and the shielding tested for "shieldingness" to determine if one is better than another?

Do the claims of "betterness" arise solely from listening perception?

hmmm?

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #22 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by talleywho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the claims of "betterness" arise solely from listening perception?

sure, what's wrong w/ that? it's like many things in hifi("NOS" DAC's anyone?), real ppl don't listen to oscilloscopes.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #23 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and I firmly believe that the cable is carefully chosen by the manufacturer to match the drivers FR.

I see you have your beliefs too.
wink_face.gif

That's definitely one I don't share.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 163
The Techno geeks cannot leave any phase of sound delivery unchanged in the misbegotten belief of better sound. Any cable, power cord. or speaker wire will be changed. Headphone manufacturer's hard wire cable in a attempt to save people money but they still change it.

Mar 13, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Sandwich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. Unfortunately it is a game that no headphone manufacturer can win. Any cable they put on people are going to complain. Even the HD800 cable gets panned for not being good enough.

The hd800 stock cable peels after much use. Never seen that in other high end stock cables.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #26 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mehve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, setting aside those "recabling does nothing" believers (of which I am one), it should be said that the stock cables are often lightweight, flexible, and un-microphonic, which is more than can be said for some "premium" cables.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LMAO, the aftermarket cable producers are obviously curring corners!

here my 2 cents
Everybody, i should be stereotyping, everybody, start from general consumer earbuds, which imo, have the above properties, lightweight, feasible, flexible, un-microphonics.

so its something people took for granted per se.

and what is the very main thing that pushes people to upgrade their stock cables ?
SQ, SQ and more sq !
So yeah, the very first thing aftermarket cables should highlight would be outstanding SQ, with SQ far superior than stock cables, such that compromising the flexibility, compromising the lightweight, compromising the microphonics is perfectly fine.

but yeah, there are quite a few after market cables manufacturers that provides cables that has the benefit of stock cables, yet maintain a higher sq than stock cables.

but there are "true-audiophiles" that couldn't care less about things other than SQ, and no, I am not part of those extremist
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:22 PM Post #27 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you mean by crappy?you mean it's a poor quality?you mean it's microphonic?you mean it tangles?you mean it sounds bad?you mean it fries easily?what do you mean?I didn't find the k701 cable crappy nor the hd650 cable,they are very durable,don't tangle,not microphonic and transmits sound.what else can I ask for?

most probably just those "true-audiophiles" yearning for the last few percentage in SQ..

*stares*
"OMG ! CRAPPY STOCK CABLES ! IT GOT TO GO !"

x2 on the k701 stock cables, its something that the moon audio black dragon cable didn't provide me with ._.
gonna go balance with k701 stock cables !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Double F /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Headphone manufacturer's hard wire cable in a attempt to save people money but they still change it.

Nice, I see another possibility here
biggrin.gif

They were kind enough to "save our wallets", by making the cables none-detachable, so that we wont really get tempted by after market cables !
biggrin.gif
how kind.
Or maybe they are just saving time and cost, and imo, thats something additional would affect SQ a little bit(enough for the extremist to complain
biggrin.gif
)
But yeah, it would provide to be a more attractive option if there is detachable, like cables faulty, aftermarket cables..

but its weird, I rarely see companies with HP that have detachable cables, like the ultrasone, they don't sell cables other than the stock ones.. don't they want to earn more money ?
Or maybe its just that they think lesser people would be interested in them haha
Or, every company that creates interconnect, from 3.5mm to 6.3mm or 3.5mm to 3.5mm, are already creating after market cables for them
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:37 PM Post #28 of 163
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
most probably just those "true-audiophiles" yearning for the last few percentage in SQ..

Most, maybe...

but, the headphones that the OP described are different.

the Denon D1001, D2000, and ultrasone HFI-780 all have -horrible- stock cables.. in which a simple very cheap recable.. like mogami star quad will vastly increase the performance of the phones.

Mar 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #29 of 163
If enough of us complain they might use thicker cables, but I most certainly would not want them to use 5mm outer diameter cables unless they explicitly state that the cable is going to be heavy and inflexible. And they better not do it on portable headphones at all
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back