Why do singers/artists wear IEM's?
Sep 29, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #16 of 23

Quote:
Hm interesting to read.
I haven't been on stage before, but where/what does a vocalist plug his/her IEM into?

A wireless monitor system. Something like this. Basically a little radio receiver that is linked to a transmitter in a rack somewhere. You usually can't see the 'bodypack' or whatever it's called. If you've ever seen microphone systems where the speaker has to wear a little thing on their hip, it's basically the same thing running in reverse. Think about it.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #17 of 23

A wireless monitor system. Something like this. Basically a little radio receiver that is linked to a transmitter in a rack somewhere. You usually can't see the 'bodypack' or whatever it's called. If you've ever seen microphone systems where the speaker has to wear a little thing on their hip, it's basically the same thing running in reverse. Think about it.

Ooh okay, I think I understand now. Thanks for all the replies! I was just curious since I always see singers wearing them.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #18 of 23

Quote:
Hm interesting to read.
I haven't been on stage before, but where/what does a vocalist plug his/her IEM into?

Most of the time, a wireless pack which get the music from the Front of House / audio engineer / mixing table. But on occasions, it can be connected using a long cable. The whole setup is what we called an In-Ear-Monitoring-System. Technically, only canalphone used in such system is an In-Ear-Monitor. Generally everyone on the band should has his/her own mix of sound, i.e. lead singer has his/her voice and perhaps some from the drummer (to keep cue), backup singer might has more from the lead singer while drummer might has an extra click track, etc.

Sep 29, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #19 of 23
On a related note, anyone playing any (lets say "natural" for the sake of simplicity) instrument hears something different from listeners as well. I used to play a grand piano (classical stuff); it sounded very different at the keyboard than being in the room and listening to the same piano played by someone else. So everyone in the venue - audience members in different locations and of course the performer too - hears slightly different things.

Good performers "tune" their playing to subtle responses from their audience, regardless of how it may "sound" personally. Part of the essence of communication. Much like public speakers, comedians etc.

Oct 1, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #20 of 23

Quote:

To add, some drummers play along to a click track to keep proper timing (see the 5th paragraph), which as far as I know only require headphones when playing live. I have no idea if Portnoy uses a click track in any situation. 

Most bands only use a click track in the studio.  Also a competent drummer should be able to keep time on stage without a click track, and the rest of the band should follow the drummer.  Granted, not all drummers are competent.

Oct 1, 2011 at 7:49 AM Post #21 of 23
The isolation they provide is nothing to sneeze at either, considering how loud music is played at concerts. :)

Oct 1, 2011 at 9:18 AM Post #22 of 23

Quote:
what the ponie said

Sorry for being off topic, someone call 911, I need medical help.

Omg ahahahhahaha after get up from the floor il try to remember what I wanted to post...

but for now...

Ahahahahahaa

Oct 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #23 of 23
The isolation they provide is nothing to sneeze at either, considering how loud music is played at concerts. :)

That's true, IEM's do offer a lot of isolation.

Sorry for being off topic, someone call 911, I need medical help.

Omg ahahahhahaha after get up from the floor il try to remember what I wanted to post...

but for now...

Ahahahahahaa

:/ Are you okay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back