Why do sellers say 'CONUS only' ?
Sep 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #61 of 105

[size=10pt]Several members, particularly Samgotit and Uncle Erik, have vividly and accurately described the joys of a visit to the post office.  I’m not going to experience that pleasure in order to make a sale outside of CONUS.  If that means you want to label me “lazy”, go for it.  [/size]

[size=10pt]Here’s a reality that seems to need pointing out.  It’s my stuff.  That means I get to set the price and the conditions of sale (CONUS only).   If I limit my ability to sell an item due to either of those factors, then I will accept the consequences of doing so.  [/size]

[size=10pt]I might suggest that throwing the “lazy” label around is not likely to be an effective strategy in convincing anyone to change their mind and accommodate overseas sales of items but YMMV.[/size]

Sep 24, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #62 of 105
And not to mention the headaches with dealing with other countries postal system. for me Italy was not so good to me. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:10 PM Post #63 of 105

Quote:
And not to mention the headaches with dealing with other countries postal system. for me Italy was not so good to me. 

oh italian customs are famed for being horrific, many HK ebay sellers state they send there its so bad,  what we realy need is a NAFTA / EU customs union

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #64 of 105

Quote:
i think the problem is the US post office network seems to be a hell of a lot crapper than it is in other countries

Honestly from where I stand and asking people I know from other countries, I'd say it's decent, for the most part.  Maybe a bit better.  The key issue might be the lack of hours outside normal business hours.

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:42 PM Post #65 of 105
Sure seems like the US postal offices is a totally different experience than anything around here.
The longest I have waited in line is maximum 10 minutes. But I usually get served in a minute or two.

The forms needed are freely available, so I tend to keep a couple at home. Fill them all in, go to the post office wait a couple of minutes in line, hand in the box and papers, pay the fee and leave with a receipt. Quick and easy.

Edit:
Unlike the US we have to visit the postal office regardless if we ship national or international though. No proforma invoice for national shipments though, so a bit less paperwork

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #66 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by wareagle69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

[size=10pt]Here’s a reality that seems to need pointing out.  It’s my stuff.  That means I get to set the price and the conditions of sale (CONUS only).   If I limit my ability to sell an item due to either of those factors, then I will accept the consequences of doing so.  [/size]

I agree with this. I'd prefer to ship items locally, but am open to international shipping I feel like it (e.g. my last sale).

Quote:
Sure seems like the US postal offices is a totally different experience than anything around here.
The longest I have waited in line is maximum 10 minutes. But I usually get served in a minute or two.

The forms needed are freely available, so I tend to keep a couple at home. Fill them all in, go to the post office wait a couple of minutes in line, hand in the box and papers, pay the fee and leave with a receipt. Quick and easy.

Edit:
Unlike the US we have to visit the postal office regardless if we ship national or international though. No proforma invoice for national shipments though, so a bit less paperwork

Same. Have to visit the post office regardless of national or international postage.

My local post office is horrible in terms of lines (it snakes through the store and out on to the streets) so when I send stuff I visit the one near work, or ones in neighbouring suburbs
biggrin.gif

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #67 of 105

Quote:

[size=10pt]Several members, particularly Samgotit and Uncle Erik, have vividly and accurately described the joys of a visit to the post office.  I’m not going to experience that pleasure in order to make a sale outside of CONUS.  If that means you want to label me “lazy”, go for it.  [/size]

[size=10pt]I might suggest that throwing the “lazy” label around is not likely to be an effective strategy in convincing anyone to change their mind and accommodate overseas sales of items but YMMV.[/size]

Obviously I'm butthurt that I have to pay double and often triple what you do when buying audio products because people don't want to ship overseas. I'm sure if I were to sell my HF2's for $150 but only to people outside of USA you would feel the same.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #70 of 105

Quote:
Obviously I'm butthurt that I have to pay double and often triple what you do when buying audio products because people don't want to ship overseas. I'm sure if I were to sell my HF2's for $150 but only to people outside of USA you would feel the same.

No, I would not feel that way at all.  If you decide to sell to only people in New Zealand or Australia or the dark side of the moon, that's your decision.  It would never occur to me to question or criticize your choices.  To me it's pretty simple, your stuff, your choice and none of my business.

Sep 25, 2010 at 12:20 AM Post #71 of 105

Quote:

CONUS = Lazy.

There's also something to be said about it becoming totally outside of my control when it leaves the country. Once it leaves the country there's little recourse. That being said I also don't like ordering from outside the country. This site has it's scammers also, there's the ones you know you can trust... then there's guys who you just don't know. I'd make an exception for somebody who's a staple here, if he/she wanted to pay the shipping of course, but if they want it bad enough they can send me a pm to see if I'll make an exception.

Sep 25, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #72 of 105
Actually USPS is not bad. It just depends on where one lives. They have been trying to cut down on services, after all it is a non-profit organization and they have been losing money from competition. And they are still the cheapest. From where I live, the closest USPS office that is open on Saturdays is only about a 10-minute drive. And the line maybe short or long depending on the time of the day. It has like 8 or 10 stalls but usually on a Saturday, they have only 2 or sometimes 3 people working. And I've seen costumers there bringing in like 20 or more envelopes to be posted. And each one has to be weigh separately for the correct postage value. If each envelope takes 30 seconds to process, that takes 10 or so minutes.

Edit:

Sep 25, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #73 of 105
After reading through this thread i actually feel sorry for people such as Uncle Erik with posting items... I mean Australia has one of the best postal services in the world. The longest ive had to wait is maybe 5 - 10 minutes. Max to post an item. I have no problems with shipping worldwide at all. If the cost is covered then no worries. But i do get annoyed when im searching for a pair of headphones at a good price. You find a thread and its only CONUS, i also see alot of people noting that they "Will not send outside of the US" I thought we were all here for the same reason and thats to enjoy music with headphones.

Sep 25, 2010 at 3:50 PM Post #74 of 105
Quote:
Honestly from where I stand and asking people I know from other countries, I'd say it's decent, for the most part.  Maybe a bit better.  The key issue might be the lack of hours outside normal business hours.

well im thinking its clearly not, no where else does it seem to be such a trauma to post something.  people here have reiterated horror stories as to what its like posting things and i have yet to hear of anyone from outside the US with such  a story to tell

Sep 25, 2010 at 4:50 PM Post #75 of 105
I think it depends where you live really. I usually have no problems with the USPS line where I live. Of course the USPS near my house is not in a very populated area so it's not as busy as if I go to a post office in Manhattan. Usually the longest I wait is around 10-15 minutes but usually its closer to 5-10. If I'm in a rush and the package is in ConUS I can drop it off at one of the drop box kiosks in the lobby of the post office where I do not have to wait on a line usually.

There may be more stories because USPS is the cheapest in the US and should be the most used in the US. I would be surprised if UPS or Fedex was more used than USPS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back