Why do people use Windows?
Nov 10, 2007 at 5:49 PM Post #46 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder how many Operating Systems there would be if everybody that complains about Operating Systems wrote their own and then try to get it to work with every possible hardware configuration imaginable.
blink.gif
I think it is a wise move to hire the best people in the world to do your developing.

That would be called Linux, or more generally the Open Source movement...

Quote:

Oh... Microsoft already does that
tongue.gif

Oops that was a troll, my bad. Good try
wink.gif
(and no they dont hire the best, far from that)

Quote:

btw... windows user since 3.0 and currently have XP Pro on 3 machines and XP Media Center on my laptop and WM5 on my X51V. The only time i ever have to do a reboot is when automatic updates are installed that require a reboot and all my pcs are on 24/7. (except the lappy)

Lucky you. Dont you sound a bit like a fanboy ?
(i am windows user since 2.0, MS DOS user before that, DR DOS even before, currently using XP at home on my main PC and W2K on my laptop)

Nov 10, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #47 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surefoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

(and no they dont hire the best, far from that)

And you know this because....?

I believe there is quite a waiting list for highly skilled developers that want to go work for MS.

And no... not a fanboy... I just like to use stuff that just works.
wink.gif

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:12 PM Post #48 of 283
Quote:

And you know this because....?

That would be too long to expose on these forums (and way off topic)... But i have solid reasons. The first one being their code speaks for itself (and yeah i'm a senior dev, i have seens tons of code including MS).

Quote:

I believe there is quite a waiting list for highly skilled developers that want to go work for MS.

Naive youngsters, or blindly lured people. Or desperate people that just want the work conditions of the place itself (the MS campus is quite good) - which is the most frequent case, as the youngsters tend to move on when they understand. I know people in all of these situations.

Quote:

And no... not a fanboy... I just like to use stuff that just works.
wink.gif

Same.

Nov 10, 2007 at 6:39 PM Post #49 of 283
I began programming the Mac before it was released, on a Lisa. I still have one of the original Macintosh computers. I began programming games for the PowerPC-based Macintoshes before they were released, and was responsible for several of the early games being released (because I was the person that ported them to the Macintosh). I've used at least 10 different models of Macintosh (including some that weren't made by Apple...anyone remember Power Computing?) at work and at home over the years.

I am using a Windows machine now at home and at work. I built these myself using the best possible components, which is something I really enjoy doing. I love the Mac, but I want to be able to use a wide variety of software and hardware at a reasonable cost. This is not possible on a Macintosh.

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #50 of 283
Quote:

Originally Posted by Surefoot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice troll
smily_headphones1.gif

You ended the troll here
wink.gif

Ha it seems you wanted to troll some more
280smile.gif
Well any person who knows just a bit of computer history (and reads computer news) knows how wrong you are on this... Starting with federal judges and european court judges
wink.gif

It wasn't a troll.. just my opinion, I don't think neither macs or linux sucks but I think Windows is hands down the right OS for most people. And from your post it's fairly obvious that you're just as much a fanboy that I am..

Lets see..

1) proprietary formats that only Apple products can use, check
2) a whole music store locked only to apple products, check
3) hardware locked to Apple software, check (though they failed on this one)

Believe me, only difference between Apple and Microsoft is that Apple doesn't have the market share to be sued for anti-trust violations (No matter what you do you can't abuse others with 5% market share, when your competitor has 90%).

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #51 of 283
Because I play games

And x2 on ttol's arguments.

I just use a different shell (Emerge Desktop). I don't have any problems with XP, nor have I experienced them.

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #52 of 283
Quote:

I am using a Windows machine now at home and at work. I built these myself using the best possible components, which is something I really enjoy doing. I love the Mac, but I want to be able to use a wide variety of software and hardware at a reasonable cost. This is not possible on a Macintosh.

Bingo.

I dont see how people have so much trouble with windows for personal use; for enterprise use, I am not all too familiar and *nix certainly has quite a reputation in network/sercurity field so I would guess they are better.

Ubuntu was a satisfying experience in general, and I intend to keep on using it on my secondary computer. But I didnt think it was any better or more practical for desktop use. It definitely has higher learning curve and more hassle to manage than windows IMO. Hadn't it been for my
genunie curiousity to try it out and play around with new stuff, I wouldnt have bothered.

You must be in a solid denial if you claim linux is on an equal footing as windows in gaming (wine didnt work well for me), and to disregard the gaming crowd and computer use for gaming is nothing but being a haughty elitist. Personally, I hadnt upgrade for past few years and went by just fine since I wasnt into requirement heavy 3d games. Gaming is a big deal for a seizable portion of the OS market and mac/linux is severly lacking in that department to put it very nicely.

To me it seems no different than GNOME and KDE users bashing each other out. Many times it boils down to preference and different philosophy, not one being infinitely superior in every aspect than the other. In a certain sense, I feel either there is a disproportionately large number of linux fanboys, or that they happen to be most flamboyantly vocal about it. They cry for "difference", yet cant realize someone else could prefer windows due to that very "difference" they so yearn for.

I dont see anything OSX has on windows. If its just the interface you could mimic that on windows (not that I would unless someone points a big gun to my head)

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #53 of 283
because I game
because I use a lot of third party program
because I like to customize my foobar
because I like to be able to trouble shoot the system my self instead of spending big money on getting it repair.
because I like the multiply mouse button that windows OS can have
because I like to put my system together without breaking my wallet
because Apple isn't exactly foreign language friendly (damn, that thing is HARD to make Chinese and Japanese display properly on it)
because I don't want to buy a product and found out that its driver doesn't really work with OSX too well.

Nov 10, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #54 of 283
Because I don't like cults.

I don't like being associated with ponytail clad cultists.

I don't like walking into the Mac Store and having 10 black t-shirts and blue jeans descend on me telling me that I should try out the Bose table.

Because I find it amusing the Mac Genius at said store couldn't figure out the the BSOD I put on the background of the 30in showpeice Mac was simply a background.

Because I like saving money.

Because I can build a faster machine than the fully loaded Mac Pro for less than half the cost and way more luxury (as I've demonstrated on the forums here before.

Because I use my PC instead of showing it off.

Because I don't like Apple's cheap cases. I prefer my Silverstone Tj07 made out of one freaking solid peice of aluminum which was manufactured using aerospace equipment.

Because I play games.

Because I have 8800GTX SLI.

Because I can take a $200 quad core and make it run 600mhz faster than Apple's price of $1400 for their fastest chip.

Because I can make my computer quieter than a Mac.

Because I can make my computer faster than any Mac will be for the next year or so.

Because Windows Vista is the best operating system for ME in the world right now.

Because I can still run OSX on my computer if for some reason I needed too (zing!).

Because garage band is for amateurs.

Because I can make my computer far more beautiful and customizable than a Mac.

Because there are exactly zero good reasons for me to run a Mac.

I use Vista 64 bit at home (and have been for about a year before it came out as a technet subscriber) and have had excatly zero problems. At our company, which has the largest database of any kind in the world (including that of governments), we run a unix backbone. In fact, statistically speaking it's safe to say that medical images of several of the fanboys of one system or another in this thread are sitting happily in our achives thanks to unix.

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #55 of 283
Quite frankly, most of us don't have a choice. I need a computer to run x, y, and z.

For Business:

A lot of x,y,z is windows only. And no, WINE and such is not an option since it would void the service and support contracts that are critical for small businesses.

For Home:

As said before, if you think gaming in linux is good enough to make the switch for gamers you are delusional.

Nov 10, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #56 of 283
because I can be lazy and still use it, lol

I ran suse for a couple years and loved it till I had to install something. Even RPMs proved to be a hassle at times. Otherwise, I literally ran it for 2 years without ONE reboot or crash or blue screen or lock-up. Lets see your windows box do that!

Nov 10, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #57 of 283
If you are in the mood of trying to get rid of windoze, try Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu plus a few multimedia functionalities, ntfs support, etc, etc. I love to advertise free stuff
eggosmile.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #58 of 283
I've been using windows pretty much my whole life. I never had a good experience with linux when I was messing around with it a few years ago so i've just never even thought of going there. Plus I play lots of games.

But recently I bought a MacBook Pro on a whim because I needed a laptop. I didn't have an issue with gaming because the only two games I will ever play on it(at least for now) are World of Warcraft and Starcraft 2, both games are designed for both windows and mac on the same installation disc. Now I want to buy a Mac Pro when they update them in(I hope) january! I do a lot of photo editing and would like a system that can render video faster than what I have currently so this system will be good enough for me. I always hated Mac OS and within a week of having my MBP I was in love with OS X 10.4 and obviously 10.5 only made it better. All I have to do to game is boot into windows via bootcamp. Yeah, i'll be 80% mac soon enough. I'd rather have the security of Linux/Unix with the UI, Software(I don't think Photoshop for Mac runs on linux), and ease of use of OS X.

It's also an excuse to buy the Apogee Duet.

I can't say anything bad about Vista though, it's been running perfectly. Which is why i'll be running it via bootcamp.

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #59 of 283
I've tried Ubuntu in VirtuaPC2007. I dont understand why i must go through so many loops to install the VM addons: i must install some archive thingy (rpm?) that's not installed by default, then go to some command prompt and type some more ****. And I still can't get it to install.

I can just click the exe file, click Next a few times to get the Windows addons installed.

10 yrs ago, I probably would have the energy and motivation to probe furthur and experiment. But not now, I'm getting old
redface.gif

Nov 25, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #60 of 283
It seems that almost all games are made for windows, so I don't get a choice to use any other OS. It might also have to do with the fact the first OS I used was Windows 95 so I'm use to using windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back