Why do people spend so much on canalphones when they can just buy Livewires/Freqs?
Aug 28, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish I had the time to do serious pc gaming. Once upon a time I did. Now my gaming is exclusively Wii or PS3 and even then I'm a person son of the gaming generation... I'm a complete let down. I'm *shudder* a casual gamer
frown.gif

Yeah, I find I don't have much time for gaming anymore
frown.gif

I bought a set of Medusa 5.1 'phones when I was playing FPS's more. I like them, I find they really do help you locate the sounds, though some people say a normal stereo set with good sound stage will do just as well.

These days I mostly play stuff like Puzzle Pirates that don't require a long sitting.
(and yet, I still buy computer games... I have a growing pile of games I'm intending to try one day...)

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #32 of 43
Why don't we buy livewires/Freqs? Because here in Australia we'll get rapped just in shipping costs and having the impressions done and sent over.

I'd love to have some customs, but it seems companies don't want to share the love overseas.

*Rant over.

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by neoufo51 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just don't get it. You guys spend hundreds of dollars on canalphones, several of them, when all you have to do is just get custom fitted for a pair of Livewires or Freqs and never have to buy another pair of headphones until those die a tragic death despite having replaceable cable.

Seriously, can somebody explain why people spend over $500 dollars on a bunch of canalphones, sometimes $250 for just one of the pairs when all they have to get is get custom fitted for Livewires or Freqs and never buy anything again?

P.S. Had Atrios, they broke, got Denon C700's, broke, got a replacement which I sold. Getting fitted for Livewires next week to end my journey for great sound once and for all!

I just want to add to Zanth and Spyro comments that on top, the custom fit IEM's do not work for everybody, and IMO the so called improved comfort, fit and sound is IMO another myth...IME and IMVPC...
I returned my FreQs Shows, after fighting with them to get the right fit and sound for a couple of months, the loss was not very high, but considerable, trust me on that, beginning with a $60.00 impressions, a couple of shipping costs back, an spare cable, a custom Westone Pelican case, etc....and I ending preferring, and find a lot more enjoyable, and comfortable, the Klipsch and the Sleeks...period...
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #34 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OP: I just don't think you understand. It's a hobby, period.

Like a photographer that has a few different cameras and lens, or a fisherman that has several poles and reels, or a hunter that has several types of guns, etc, etc.

Ah I see. Oh well. Maybe I'm just to practical to adopt such a hobby.

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:13 AM Post #36 of 43
OP, you must have expected a reaction very much like that what has materialised when starting this thread. Otherwise, you lack basic ability to imagine/reason other possibilities outside yourself. Your weak arguement has been picked apart in no time and you look like a childish idiot with no intelligence. Why did you start this thread? You want your opinion to be monoplised to others but variety is the spice of life and thats just not gona happen. Surrender to gain control man and just chill.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #37 of 43
we can only buy a livewire or a freq? No thanks. I prefer to make my own choices.

While I've been away enjoying my non neoufo51 approved headphones you guys all agreed that freq's and livewires were the end all and be all?

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #38 of 43
For the same reason why everyone by Sennheiser, Grado, AKG, beyerdynamic, Sony, ... when they just can buy Stax.
They want different products, quality and sound signature.
wink.gif

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #39 of 43
To the OP, not sure if this was mentioned, but you seemed to overlook the fact that your ear canals will change over the period of a few years (or less). It's very possible that in 2 years, your customs won't fit you properly anymore, while universals continue to seal properly with the use of flanges/foams. The term 'never' or 'forever' should not be used when it comes to customs, as it's only natural that your body changes as you continue to age, regardless of your age.

I think ClieOS said it best in his 'Basic Guide to In-Ear-Canalphones':

Unlike universal IEM, the product life cycle (how long you are expected to use the product) of custom is quite short, often estimated to be less than 4 yrs. The reason is, your ears will keep growing till you kick the dust, therefore your ears will change in a couple of years thus render your custom useless as it isn't custom to your ear anymore. You should expect to get a new custom every few years as many IEM companies do not re-shell old IEM. Of course, there are exception that people are able to use their custom for more than 4 yrs. The experience very from person to person on different age group thus there is no definite answer to how long your custom will fit your ears.

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #40 of 43
well, i did ask John Diles regarding that and he told me that they could (assuming they're still in business in ~4 yrs) make a new impression / new shell for a small fraction of the price as long as the drivers are still intact.

Given impressions are pretty much free for me, I think I'll be using the livewires for a long while... and shipping and handlig cost me 3 bucks.

But I do understand for most people, especially those not located in the USA, you could probably just buy a new universal IEM with the money it costs for a re-fit.

Aug 29, 2008 at 9:53 AM Post #43 of 43
Why do people spend money on Porsches when they can just buy a Toyota?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back