Why do people prefer Sony Hybrid tips?
Nov 9, 2009 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

lilkoolaidman

500+ Head-Fier
I've noticed a lot of people use Sony Hybrids instead of stock tips and I wonder why. Is it the sound? the comfort? what? Just wondering.

beerchug.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 28
for me its the perfect seal they create.

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 28
for me its a combo of seal and comfort. they seal better than stocks for my ears and they are softer too.

Nov 10, 2009 at 1:58 AM Post #6 of 28
The hybrids fit any phones with the larger or medium sound tubes. They do not work with thinner tubes, like Westone, Atrio or some Shure models. However, to get them on, say the Senn IE8, takes a certain technique (the side stretch is the best way to describe it). But they will go on. I think the RE0s have that large sound tube typical of canal phones, so the hybrids should be workable.

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:11 AM Post #7 of 28
Yeah actually, they should work now that i think about it, because they have the larger tube.

I still wonder how the isolation compares to the olives thought hmmm.

Nov 10, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #9 of 28
I see. I also think the part that actually goes over the sound tube is thicker too than most.

Nov 10, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #10 of 28
I can't speak for other models, but the Sony tips fit the Sonys
wink_face.gif
, and Klipsch IEMs well.

The relatively "rigid" silicone core that attaches to the IEM creates a fair seal for Klipsch models, and the length of the shaft is just about right.

They do remind me of the tips which came with my Walkman. The Hybrid tips are comfortable, but IMO not superior to the stock Klipsch gel tips. The latter are oval-shaped, seem softer, and create a better seal with my ears.

If Klipsch stocks work for you, the hybrids aren't superior IMHO

Nov 10, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #12 of 28
They fit fine on the RE0's although I still like the stock single flange better. Tried both of them last night. The Sony's are definitely softer and more comfortable. The seal was about the same for both. I like the sound of the stock better. The Sony's are bit longer and the opening is a bit smaller than the stock silicone tips.

As noted elsewhere they also work well on the SoundMagic pl50 although I'm trying out some Shure olive now.

May 19, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #13 of 28
I like them for their ease of creating a seal and also they don't make my ears itch like regular silicon tips do. Not sure why that is.

Does anyone know if there are any Hybrid tips larger than the largest size in the standard four-size pack? This is the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-WHI-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24V4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305851424&sr=8-2

The largest size fits well in my right ear, but is a bit too small in my left ear.

May 19, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 28
I have to admit I did not think they would work well at all, fellow member CEE TEE sent me 2 samples for my Monster Turbine Coppers after all the tips that came in the box, none of them worked for me. 

I am glad to report that, after many months of the coppers sitting on a the box, I can finally hear the sound I was supposed to hear. 

+1 for these Hybrid tips, as if you had the same problem I did ( none of them would fit well = poor sound)  these should solve your problem. 

And a big thanks to CEE TEE :)  

Thank you... 

May 20, 2011 at 12:25 AM Post #15 of 28
I had ordered the Hybrid tips a couple of years ago, and tried them on a pair of Sennheiser ie7's. I had determined that with the tip installed, it decreased the diameter of the sound tube, and in turn I figured it would diminish the sound coming out. I might have to find those tips and retry them again.

dj

Users who are viewing this thread

Back