Why do people prefer Sony Hybrid tips?
May 20, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #16 of 28
Quote:
I like them for their ease of creating a seal and also they don't make my ears itch like regular silicon tips do. Not sure why that is.

Does anyone know if there are any Hybrid tips larger than the largest size in the standard four-size pack? This is the one I got:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-WHI-Replacement-Earbuds/dp/B001RB24V4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1305851424&sr=8-2

The largest size fits well in my right ear, but is a bit too small in my left ear.

Yes there is one size larger according to ClieOS' tip chart, LL (light purple).  However, Sony wants an arm and a leg for them.... $13.95 for one tip + $6.95 for shipping the entire order.

https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/viewItemDetail.do?operation=getItemDetail&itemID=662891&category=6&categoryName=Headphone

May 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #17 of 28
I used them on my Denon AH-C351 and found that they improved both isolation and bass just enough for me to love them. Were definitely worth the 9 euros or so I paid for them!

May 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #18 of 28
The reason why I use them is that they create a perfect seal, it's amazing in a way, with most of my headphones.  The only exceptions so far are the MEE A151s and the Apple IEMs (the stock smalls seal perfectly for me, IDK why).  They will fit smaller nozzles if they have not been stretched before (IE are new or have been on small nozzles only).  They will fit mid-sized nozzles with a small stretch (RE0 being the biggest one I got it on because the front of the nozzle is larger, the rest is small), but I haven't been able to get them on large. 

The second reason is the comfort.  They are really comfortable for me. 

May 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #19 of 28
Wow...that is just absurd. Absolutely absurd. Thanks. At least I know they're out there. No way I'm paying that much for one, though.

Quote:
Yes there is one size larger according to ClieOS' tip chart, LL (light purple).  However, Sony wants an arm and a leg for them.... $13.95 for one tip + $6.95 for shipping the entire order.

https://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/viewItemDetail.do?operation=getItemDetail&itemID=662891&category=6&categoryName=Headphone

May 20, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #21 of 28

Quote:
I think ebay has some cheapo sony hybrid clones that people report to work pretty well

I bought a 9 pairs.  Gonna see how they are.  Coming in Monday since mail doesn't come on weekends.

May 20, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #22 of 28
Great seal with my RE0s, couldn't get a good seal with the stock tips.  Tried to use them with my UM3x, but the stem was too skinny.

May 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #23 of 28

Quote:
Great seal with my RE0s, couldn't get a good seal with the stock tips.  Tried to use them with my UM3x, but the stem was too skinny.

You can use the plastic tubes off old foams or something and wedge that between the stem of the IEM and the tip.

I ordered the 4 pack in white from Amazon to try with my PFE's. I would try the tips with my 215's but the stupid pack only gives one of each size, which is irritating...

Apr 10, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #26 of 28

Just wanted to let you know,i purchased these direct from Sony and they're on their way to me!!. I almost bought ONE for$55!!. I may sell some on Amazon for$30 to see if I can make some cash. I signed up for their "proparts," so maybe that's the angle...

Apr 10, 2015 at 1:19 PM Post #27 of 28
The largest size Sony tips with the foam inside is the perfect combination between comfort, seal, and isolation. For me that is. I've replaced many universals that didnt fit with the Sony ones.

Apr 2, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #28 of 28
Using and getting great results from changing over to the Sony Hybrid Tips is maybe not going to work for all.

Obviously fit is very personal, but they do work well and upgrade the sound on many of my favorite IEMs.

Most noticing the Piston 3 change. Not only do the Hybrids get the comfort goal and bass seal fit, the hybrid tip gets the Piston 3 nozzle pushed way close to the outer edge. This actually goes to remedy much of why people have issues with the bread and butter treble character. Now the treble is expanded out into the soundstage and somehow the whole signature simply comes out more cohesive? A real gift for those wanting to take the Piston 3 to the next level obtainable!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back