Why do people like bass so much?
Sep 26, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #46 of 177

Quote:

I'm offended by that. Mine was 143.6 when mic'd at a competition. That was years ago, and now have nothing of the sort in my car. 

That will blow your eardrums.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #47 of 177

Quote:
That will blow your eardrums.

I know..I drove around with it like that for a year or so. At competitions, you aren't allowed to sit in your car while having it mic'd. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #48 of 177
Here's another question...why do so many people like treble so much?
tongue.gif

i think it has something to do with their hearing range. lot of people nowadays have hard time hearing above 16khz so headphones with boosted upper highs tend to sound ''right'' and so forth. same for other frequency ranges and people's hearing capabilities.

i don't like bass heavy headphones or bass heavy speakers. i have experience and heard some big Rockford Fosgate ''Power'' subwoofer line-up but while it can be fun sometimes i'm not big fan of having headachs. i do like speakers or headphones capable of bringing out the deep bass rumble if the source in the first place has it. only headphone i own myself that i consider with the strongest bass is my 240 sextetts LP. throw them something with 20-25hz bass and they will rumble your ears but of course need some power behind them. but since they can extend up to 19khz well they tend to be my brightest headphones as well with lot of recorded material. i'm very sensitive to treble and bass still so any type of boost can be annoying on my ears.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #49 of 177

Most consumer-level stereos 20 years ago couldn't really reproduce bass very well, so decent bass was striking.

naw man. there was some heavy hitters 20 or so years ago. lot of rack stereo systems always supplied Technics and Pioneer floor towers in theirs systems which can hit pretty hard and Advent was known during the 70's for their crazy bass extension and only speakers at that time that can extend down to 20hz and Advent was very consumer friendly as well with their prices.

same goes for headphones.lot of planer magnetic headphones such as the yamaha hp-1 had some nice powerful hitting bass. the pioneer monitor 10 can extend down to 20hz no sweat and still extend down to the 10hz region if you wanted them to. there were lot of good speakers and headphones at the golden era of audio. just back then it was all about '' high fidelity'' than who can make the loudest and strongest trunk fart like nowadays in the mainstream music scene.

Sep 26, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #50 of 177

Quote:
I beg to differ with you about "Most consumer-level stereos 20 years ago couldn't really reproduce bass very well"!!!! Not True, The real JBL's and Altec "voice of the theaters" could knock your socks off

Stretching the definition of consumer-level audio by quite a bit there, I think. Hell, the voice of the theater is well in prosumer/pro range, and was installed in actual theaters quite often.

20 years ago was 1991. There was radio shack, there was circuit city (at least around here), and stereo systems that could produce reasonable bass were rare as hen's teeth in the homes of most people, which was my point. Back then, $150 or so would get you stuff that sounded pretty mediocre by today's standards. Neighbors with loud music were the occasional oddity, rather than the standard scenario we have today. Hell, people used to listen to the speakers that came with their TV, too!

Now, if you spent all your time hanging out in audio shops and all your friends were audio enthusiasts, it might have been different, but you won't lock on to bass as the first thing you notice, either. You aren't really in the group we're talking about, you're "elite", or whatever.

Again, I said "most". Sure, there were a few people that might have large floorstanders, but it was nothing like today where the average middle class home has a handful of subwoofers and so on.

I'm not talking what someone would have after dropping $3000 on a stereo (1991 dollars, remember), I'm talking what the average joe would have at home - some craptacular faux-component system with particle-board special speakers.

You can pick out some expensive or esoteric examples of stuff that did it back then, but that is really missing the point.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #51 of 177
Yes, the consumer market is different from 20 years back. Subwoofers used to be exotic tech - I remember getting a 15" one from DAK back around '89. Had it hooked up with a pair of old speakers that I had replaced the tweeters and mids in. It sounded OK and my parents ran it up until a few years ago when I gave them my AMT-1 pair, which is much better.

Subs seem to have come into vogue in the mid-90s when "home theater" was pushed hard, cheap car subs came out and music got really heavy. The Loudness War started turning up, too.

Also, audiophile gear seemed a little more common back then. I remember several friends with good gear. One father of a childhood friendran some monstrous line arrays. I don't remember the brand, but they were about seven feet tall. Impressive. Another had Klipschhorns.

Which reminds me, there is a big old singledriver in my parents' attic. I haven't seen it in probably 25 years and don't know what it is, but I think the cone and surround are in poor shape. Anyhow, their house was a total bachelor pad when they bought it. The speaker had been built into a cabinet near a bar. They took it out during remodeling and stored it. I'll have to check it out - maybe it would make for a nice mono rig.

Sep 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #55 of 177
I beg to differ. I have a stupidly massive skull, which is probably solid all the way through and all my headphones are "treble-happy" with light bass.

Sep 29, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #58 of 177
I think it's because of what we perceive as "needing more of." Look at the typical environments that people listen to music in. In the car, on the bus, in a noisy club. All of these environments tend to attenuate low frequencies more than high frequencies, either because of surrounding noises or because of the shape of the environment itself. Since we perceive that we need "more bass" then people want to buy bass-heavy gear. Very rarely do folks sit down in a quiet room and listen to an album on speakers or headphones anymore (although I suspect there may be more of us on these forums than average.) If they tried that, they might suddenly find that their gear has TOO much bass.

Sep 29, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #59 of 177
I like the bass to be present when I listen to music just because it makes it feel more complete. I also like a lot of techno so bass is an integral component to the genre. When I listen to metal or classic rock, bass doesn't play as much a critical role. I guess it all depends on what genre you like listening to. To each his own.

Sep 29, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #60 of 177
I did get the joke. My skull isn't really solid 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back