why do people dislike itunes?
Feb 19, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #136 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by bowraboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A lot of people (usually Windows users) seems to think the more mucking around you have to do to get something done is better and it makes them feel superior because they can get it to work.

I love iTunes but I am a Mac user.

And not that there's anything wrong w/ that... I'm a Mac user, but can still appreciate a desire to mod/fiddle w/ things. I like iTunes just fine, but can see people who have a predilection for modding things to not like it.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #137 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by feverfive /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And not that there's anything wrong w/ that... I'm a Mac user, but can still appreciate a desire to mod/fiddle w/ things. I like iTunes just fine, but can see people who have a predilection for modding things to not like it.

Exactly so. Well said. As a fiddler at heart, I can recall my Windows days when I fiddled with many players and had more than one installed. I actually enjoyed this. So I don't have a problem with preference. What I have a problem with is the qualitative slur that goes with one's preference. A slur of superiority. A slur that conveys that those who aren't using that particular solution are depriving themselves. With that slur coming across, I'm quite happy to counter with a similar slur.
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #138 of 281
I hate iTunes for 2 reasons.

1. It's a resource hog and even though it doesn't slow it down too much in day to day computer use (although it still has an effect), it kills my performance in games.

2. It sounds very bloated and unnatural for some reason.

Feb 19, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #139 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hate iTunes for 2 reasons.

1. It's a resource hog and even though it doesn't slow it down too much in day to day computer use (although it still has an effect), it kills my performance in games.

2. It sounds very bloated and unnatural for some reason.

Point 1 - Many media players are resource hogs, particularly any with a library management system foobar included if you set it up for media management. iTunes may be slightly worse than others but is by no means the worst.

Point 2 - This is either in your head or you are using the EQ or Soundcheck settings. The software player really should not change the sound at all if you disable any DSP functions which iTunes allows you to do.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #145 of 281
Not even reading this thread in it's entirety BUT.

I dislike iTunes on anything but a Mac because it is sluggish, installs a lot of background software (iTunesHelper, iTunesUpdater, Bonjour Service, iPod Service, QuickTime Background Service, AppleUpdater, etc.), and is ugly compared to how I can dress the alternatives.

Feb 20, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #146 of 281
i use itunes on my macbook pro to send my music to optical out. it works great for me, easy to use, sounds great. I'm in the "Let iTunes organize my music for me" camp, and I've never had any issues with itunes forgetting where it put my music... but I suspect those problems are windows-only problems

Feb 20, 2010 at 8:35 AM Post #147 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its very sluggish and I hate the fact that it doesn't play FLAC,is that enough.

Fluke fix that though...

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:14 AM Post #148 of 281
Sluggish? iTunes works great on my 3+ years old Macbook Pro w/ 2G ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fluke fix that though...

Great..I'll try this tonight
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #149 of 281
Quote:

A lot of people (usually Windows users) seems to think the more mucking around you have to do to get something done is better and it makes them feel superior because they can get it to work.

LOL! That made me chuckle
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #150 of 281
But I like mucking around.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back