why do people dislike itunes?
Dec 1, 2009 at 6:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 281

etiolate

100+ Head-Fier
in several threads around head-fi i noticed that people seem to have a vendetta against itunes. lol. when i used a pc, i used foobar for a couple years. then i got my macbook pro and mac pro and started using itunes (again). i wondered why i ever stopped... ya, i uses a lot of resources, but come on, i've got gigs of memory so who cares. alac and flac are both lossless, so no difference there... the music organization and gui are much superior on itunes IMO. using itunes to rip cds is much easier too. trust me, i used to (and still do sometimes) hate how macs are like prebuilt and you don't have the options and preferences that windows has. you can't always customize the programs as you'd like. it's annoyed me many times. but with itunes, it seems to suit my needs as is. the new genius thing is cool too. i usually only listen to albums straight through, but sometimes i like to hear what songs itunes thinks i wanna hear based on a genre or song, and itunes is usually right.

is it all the DSP addons on foobar? i figured you audiophile guys would be anti-DSP.

there must be something i'm missing... indulge me.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 281
I found it to kind of bloated when I tried it years ago. I don't know if it's changed or not.

I like to use different programs for things like playing vs. ripping. I want a player that uses few resources when playing, so I can do other things at the same time. Now, today's computers are very fast and have lots of RAM, so this may not be a big issue now, but I still just believe in that spirit of minimizing things, while being reasonable. I won't go to that extreme of cMP or whatever it's called where they shut down the Explorer shell, but I'd like a media player to be fairly lightweight anyway.

Foobar seems to also be very customizable as well; I need a program that will allow me to select the SPDIF passthrough, which is not my default sound device, and use WASAPI for bit-perfect output (this means no DSP or processing at all). I don't know if iTunes would let me do that.

Also, when it comes to ripping CDs, programs like EAC and dBpoweramp (which I haven't used but have heard good things about) offer many advanced configuration options for accurate rips, including compensating for drive offsets.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:21 AM Post #3 of 281
I like a minimalist player and foobar just sounds better to me. I also like the foobar eq.

Also, I don't own an ipod anymore. My Sony has much better sound. And I prefer dragging and dropping files and not being stuck using software I don't want to use. I hated having to sync. Also, if I happen to buy a mp3 dl because I just can't wait to hear something, I want to do what I want with it when I want. I don't want to have to burn it, while losing the song titles and cover art, then have to rip it to my computer, just to be able to put it on the mp3 player of my choice. I'll get it from Amazon thank you. Itunes, imo, is a tool created to keep people using and buying ipods. Just my 2 cents. Nothing personal against those who like it.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:31 AM Post #4 of 281
IChoons is basically a front-end to a music store.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #6 of 281
On the plus side, I find itunes convenient and user friendly, for playing music, and especially for ripping CD's. On the other hand it messes up my library once in a while, probably operator error. I tend to stay away from programs that are larger than I need.

Mostly now I avoid most any bells and whistles, and just use foobar and eac. If you knew my cpu's you'd understand.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 281
Last time I used it, it still didn't have a quick playlist feature. Really annoying
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:28 AM Post #8 of 281
People disliking iTunes are not using it on Mac
biggrin.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:37 AM Post #9 of 281
Yeah Itunes is basically a front for the Apple music store. Thats why Apple time and time agains fixes loopholes in their players so that a user cannot install Rockbox on their Ipod.

I also hated the syncing feature and that I could use it on only one computer. I have honestly had it with Apple and their propriety s**t so I will get some other brand that doesn't limit my freedom so much.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 281
Quote:

I also hated the syncing feature and that I could use it on only one computer

lol. What a crappy limitation, I've got two computers and depending what I'm using I just copy to my H140. It would be a major hassle having to use that single "sync" computer, for example what if my server has the music, plus I have a lossy copy of my laptop, but I flick between each?

All I need is file browser and FAT32, so I can even use MS-DOS if I wanted. Unix, Linux, Mac OSX, Windows, NAS's, PS3, Xbox 360, OS/2 warp also. Basically any OS that sees UMS USB device, and can copy to FAT32 partition.

Dec 1, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #11 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_love_hina /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Installs bloat.
Hogs CPU.
Doesn't organize library very well.
No plugins.
Not customizable.
Baed.

x2

itunes the the second worst piece of software ive ever used

(sonys ebook reader software is the worst)

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by denydog /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On the plus side, I find itunes convenient and user friendly, for playing music, and especially for ripping CD's. On the other hand it messes up my library once in a while, probably operator error. I tend to stay away from programs that are larger than I need.

Mostly now I avoid most any bells and whistles, and just use foobar and eac. If you knew my cpu's you'd understand.

Don't use ITunes to rip anything - its an awful cd ripper - there is a good reason its quick.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:17 AM Post #14 of 281
Apple is one of those companies that seems to inspire loyalty and love beyond reason. And those kinds of companies always seem to inspire backlash as well. "It is a front end to a music store" is a perfect example of backlash. There is a clickable object on the left column in iTunes that says "iTunes store." If you don't click it, it is no more a "Front end for a music store" than any other player. It is also as complex or as simple as you want it to be. You can set it up so it automatically rips a cd when you insert one and ejects it when it's done, adding its data to a simple list that sorts the information any way you would like things sorted. It can't get much simpler than that. You just have to take a bit of time to set it up the way you want it.

P

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:19 AM Post #15 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't use ITunes to rip anything - its an awful cd ripper - there is a good reason its quick.

I've ripped nearly a thousand cds in iTunes with only 3 errors. What kinds of problems are you experiencing?

P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back