why do people dislike itunes?
Dec 3, 2009 at 12:33 AM Post #76 of 281
Off topic: Krmathis, I like the change in your avatar.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #77 of 281
All of the below on a stock MacBook Pro with 2 gigs of ram, all tunes on an external USB drive, with Safari, Mail, Address Book, Calendar and Radio Shift open:

Scrolling in list view: instant.
Start a song in list view: Instant
Kill: less than a second.
Start up: 3 seconds

I'm not really trying to argue with you guys and I'm willing to try alternative software if you can make a good Mac recommendation, but I really haven't a clue what you're talking about.

P

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #78 of 281
Actually, I like older versions of iTunes better than the newer ones. Anyone remember the 'brushed metal' look?

The plain grid option is iTunes best feature IMO. It makes my library just a lot easier to get around in and easier to organize than others I've used. The more Apple gets away from that with stupid 'Cover View' etc., the more I'll get away from using the app.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #79 of 281
I am more of a fan of VLC Player. I just switched to Windows 7 and transferred my songs back to my computer via external hard drive. Half the songs I clearly own and that are on my computer, iTunes says "cannot be found" and whenever I want to hear a song I have to look for it on my computer so I can play it. This becomes a pain if you want to listen to a complete album.

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #80 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by TF2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am more of a fan of VLC Player. I just switched to Windows 7 and transferred my songs back to my computer via external hard drive. Half the songs I clearly own and that are on my computer, iTunes says "cannot be found" and whenever I want to hear a song I have to look for it on my computer so I can play it. This becomes a pain if you want to listen to a complete album.

OK, I get this problem, too. It is my one beef with iTunes. Does anyone know how to fix this?

P

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #81 of 281
My brother was given an ipod nano and since he was computer illiterate, had no computer, and owned no music and wanted mine, I was the good brother and did everything for him. Well, I hated being stuck having to sync it with itunes. I hated the fact that when he wanted to buy an album he could have it on his crappy sounding ipod, but if I wanted it on my much better sounding and cheaper Sony I had to burn it, losing the song titles and cover art, then have to rip it, just to drag and drop it which I should be able to do anyway. That's my biggest beef with itunes. It's designed to keep people stuck using ipods and itunes. I guess I'm just a free spirit if you will. Anyway, he finally got a computer, learned how to use it and decided he didn't like it either. He also listened to my Sony which costs $30 less than his ipod, decided he didn't like the ipod either and gave it to his wife. We both now have Sony X1050's, use foobar2000, and will never look back. Ahhhh, Free as a bird.

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:39 AM Post #82 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phelonious Ponk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I get this problem, too. It is my one beef with iTunes. Does anyone know how to fix this?

P

do a google for:
itunes cannot find files

Well-documented. Basically iTunes is looking for things that are no longer there.

I don't have iTunes installed so it's hard for me to offer a walkthrough, but it's a very common problem with iTunes and one of the downsides of its way of doing things.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:18 AM Post #83 of 281
I actually have 3 big complaints with itunes/ipod.

If you browse away from the album you are playing, looking at other albums, or fixing/editing names, etc, it will stop playing the album, and you have to go back and tell it to keep playing. I find this incredibly annoying and stupid.

you can't delete songs within smart playlists. I understand why, cause it's only the playlist, but I want to be able to edit/delete duplicates of my recently added songs

if you add playlists onto your iphone/ipod, it puts the artist names of each track into your list of albums, even if you just have one song by them. Since my iphone has limited space, mixes and compilations make a lot of sense, but since I don't have space for the entire album the songs are from, it makes my artist lists completely unusable, full of 1 song listings. There should be some way to turn this off, like the group compilations option

there was one other thing, i can't remember. But generally I love how the newer itunes keeps music files organized. it's way less work than the older versions.

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #84 of 281
I have one big compliment for both the iPod and iTunes:

1) They both can do gapless playback, even with MP3 files.
biggrin.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #85 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhythmdevils /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you browse away from the album you are playing, looking at other albums, or fixing/editing names, etc, it will stop playing the album, and you have to go back and tell it to keep playing. I find this incredibly annoying and stupid.

Yep this is annoying however one solution I have found is using iTunes DJ, I know the name is stupid but it works like a Now Playing Queue that other apps use.

Quote:

you can't delete songs within smart playlists. I understand why, cause it's only the playlist, but I want to be able to edit/delete duplicates of my recently added songs

Yeah I do not get why you can not delete songs while viewing them in the smart playlists. I understand not "removing" them from the playlist, but if I want to use a smart playlist to find a set of songs to delete from my album this would be handy. I guess the issue is a usabilty one, since they use "delete" action in a normal playlist to just remove the item from the list and not from the library.

Quote:

if you add playlists onto your iphone/ipod, it puts the artist names of each track into your list of albums, even if you just have one song by them. Since my iphone has limited space, mixes and compilations make a lot of sense, but since I don't have space for the entire album the songs are from, it makes my artist lists completely unusable, full of 1 song listings. There should be some way to turn this off, like the group compilations option

Not sure what you would expect to happen here.?

Dec 3, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #86 of 281
i have a MBP thats about 4 years old with 1 gig of ram and ive got a library of about 3000 lossless ALAC songs, and i was getting really upset with it slowing down when i tried to scroll, and i would shut down the app and bring it back to make it fast again, i had to do this all the time. But i didnt know of any other app to use, but i just started using Play, and it works like a dream, great app. The only thing i wished it would do is when you pick a song in the library to play it would just keep going down the list when the songs over, instead if theres nothing left in the queue it quits playing music, my only gripe, but now i just have to add the whole album before i play it, no biggie, specially not for a way more responsive program overall. And ive been using XLD for music ripping forever now, since it uses accurate rip.

im a happy camper without itunes now, though i stil use it for my iPhone, but i dont sync it that often.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:07 AM Post #87 of 281
Using a Mac and an Airport Express to wirelessly stream to external speakers I don't really see any other useful alternative to iTunes.

My only gripe though is lack of FLAC support. It seems you need to convert to a compatible format in order for it to stream properly.

As far as the way iTunes organizes, I prefer to turn off 'keep iTunes media folder organized' and do everything manually.

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #88 of 281
I think Play is great too. Try playing the same file (ALAC or MP3) in both iTunes and Play. The latter sounds much better, must be that 32bit floating point thing that all files go through. So i'm a play convert, I only now use iTunes for syncing, Play for everything else. Awesome no-frills program, with FLAC support etc (who needs artwork?)

Dec 3, 2009 at 7:36 AM Post #89 of 281
i'll try play.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #90 of 281
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a MBP thats about 4 years old with 1 gig of ram and ive got a library of about 3000 lossless ALAC songs, and i was getting really upset with it slowing down when i tried to scroll, and i would shut down the app and bring it back to make it fast again, i had to do this all the time. But i didnt know of any other app to use, but i just started using Play, and it works like a dream, great app. The only thing i wished it would do is when you pick a song in the library to play it would just keep going down the list when the songs over, instead if theres nothing left in the queue it quits playing music, my only gripe, but now i just have to add the whole album before i play it, no biggie, specially not for a way more responsive program overall. And ive been using XLD for music ripping forever now, since it uses accurate rip.

im a happy camper without itunes now, though i stil use it for my iPhone, but i dont sync it that often.

I noticed the lagging when scrolling as well. It's annoying as hell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back