Why do no audiophiles listen to electronic music?
Jun 5, 2013 at 8:58 AM Post #32 of 238
Quote:
hehehe cuz most audiophiles r nothing but a bunch old folks dats y...lool

At least we type properly. 
tongue.gif

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:03 PM Post #33 of 238
Younger people type well too!(ahem)

Jun 5, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #34 of 238
I did not read this thread, but I know plenty of people that are heavily into electronic music and are definitely audiophiles. 

I have been DJing for 12 years, produce a little, and listen mostly to electronic dance and experimental. Everything I buy is for that end, headphone-wise. Want a recommendation for the best electronic music listening setup on the planet? Let me know : ) I've been at this a long time. 

Jun 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #35 of 238
What would you recommend then?

Jun 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #36 of 238
I need to know several things. 

One thing I discovered with electronic music is that for me, a large soundstage is preferred. Gives ambient room to make a 3-d landscpae, gives trance an enveloping feeling. 

What are your main genres of electronic music? The problem with mixing audiophiledom and electronic music is that it's usually produced and mastered horribly and great audio exposes that. 

Think about it. A DJ mix will have 15 tracks, all from different producers, then mixed together, then mastered to sound the same across the whole mix. It's a train wreck. 

How do you like your bass? You want it tight as a bell? Bounce a quarter off it? A bit leaner? Or you want some meaty reverb in it, where the texture isn't so evident, but it moves your soul more. 

Tell me what you like and what you listen to and what you want to hear. 

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #37 of 238
I totally agree with what you are saying. Electronic music and audiophiledom don't mix at all. I listen to trance, electro house, Dubstep and drum and bass. I like the bass strong and prominent, but not at the expense of everything else.

I just got a pair of Yamaha EPH 100 and from my initial tests they sound good.

Jun 6, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #38 of 238
Nice!

My end-game rig for the genres you speak of are the TH900 for sure, coupled with a good tube amp like the Liquid Glass. Then roll i some tubes like the Genelax Gold Lions for a smooth upper and, lush mids, and robust, tight bass. Those tubes smooth and sparkle out the high end just right so you can listen a little louder, the mids envelop you, and the bass is textured and rich. 

I have heard nothing better for electronic. I demo'd every possible headphone that would be top of the line for electronic, and the TH900 crushes them all. 

Audeze was SO very unimpressive. 

Jun 9, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #39 of 238
I have plenty of Electronica that's produce and mastered very well, so I don't know what all this talk about electronic music and audiophiles not mixing. That's absurd.

When you dive into more downtempo and ambient styles of Electronica... Solar Fields, CBL, Bluetech, Androcell, Kilowatts, Sync24, etc... the music sounds amazing on good gear because the texture, separation, clarity, etc... are vital to the experience.  

Jun 10, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #40 of 238
You're talking about single musician/producers. That's not what I am taking about. Go back and read - it's not absurd. It's very straightforward and logical. 

Some producers put out good stuff for sure. Although a lot of them still don't have the budget to make it stellar. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #41 of 238
Quote:
You're talking about single musician/producers. That's not what I am taking about. Go back and read - it's not absurd. It's very straightforward and logical. 

Some producers put out good stuff for sure. Although a lot of them still don't have the budget to make it stellar. 

Ok, let me quote you - "What are your main genres of electronic music? The problem with mixing audiophiledom and electronic music is that it's usually produced and mastered horribly and great audio exposes that." Then you went from that huge overgeneralization to talking about your DJ experience, and that correlation made no sense to me. Most people talking about audiophilia and Electronica here will be using it to listen to single producers at home. The DJing train-wreck you are talking about happens at clubs and on compilation albums, which is only a piece of the entire genre. Plenty of artist put out quality stuff. 

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #42 of 238
There definitely are! The Future Sound of London and Infected Mushroom have some of the most outrageously awesome produced stuff around!

I was mistakenly assuming, based on his list, that mixes would have been a part of the listening. 

I still maintain my generalization: Most electronic musicians do not have the means to produce at the level of Norah Jones. Aside from a few outstanding electronic composers/producers, the rest spans from just ok, to downright horrible in production quality. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #43 of 238
I hear you, there is a lot of crap out there. But like most things great, you have to put more conscious effort in finding it. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #44 of 238
I listen to a lot of electronic music. I especially love electronic music with my ER4S.

More notably, psychedelic trance. You just hear all these exotic sounds whizzing, turning, melting, modulating all around you. It's a truly surrealistic sound experience. I highly recommend it!

A few good ones have been recommended so far, like Infected Mushroom and FSOL. Shpongle is another one of my favs, and Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Here's one of the ones that are more out there.
basshead.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8stImxW6A

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:50 PM Post #45 of 238
Quote:
I listen to a lot of electronic music. I especially love electronic music with my ER4S.

More notably, psychedelic trance. You just hear all these exotic sounds whizzing, turning, melting, modulating all around you. It's a truly surrealistic sound experience. I highly recommend it!

A few good ones have been recommended so far, like Infected Mushroom and FSOL. Shpongle is another one of my favs, and Carbon Based Lifeforms.

Here's one of the ones that are more out there.
basshead.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vv8stImxW6A

Tales of the Inexpressible is one of my 2 channel reference discs.  At the very end of "My Head Feels Like  Frisbee" (~39:01-03 in the video below), there is a buried recording in the left channel of a heavy wooden door with a metal knocker swinging open and then slamming shut.  In a 2 channel system with good imaging, the sound projects as coming from behind you to the left.  Done well, it fools me every single time and I turn my head to see who has walked into my apartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back