Why do my cables do this?
Jun 26, 2021 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

tysonultima

New Head-Fier
As you can see there are bends in the cable right under the connector and then further down. It has happened with these cables, my other focal clear cables (the XLR version), and has even happened with my Mr Speakers Ether DUM cable. It gets to the point where the cable inside breaks out of the outer sleeving because it bends so hard. I would like to get new cables, but I want to know what I can do personally to prevent this from happening again.

Attachments

• processed.jpeg
    processed.jpeg
    806 KB · Views: 0
Jun 26, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 7
If it were just the Focal cables I'd say "because they're trash" but your inclusion of the DCA cables throws me off. I'm honestly not sure. Never had this issue. Short of making sure they're un-twisted every time you use them / plug them in, don't know how to avoid it because I'm not sure what's causing it.

Jun 26, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #4 of 7
As you can see there are bends in the cable right under the connector and then further down. It has happened with these cables, my other focal clear cables (the XLR version), and has even happened with my Mr Speakers Ether DUM cable. It gets to the point where the cable inside breaks out of the outer sleeving because it bends so hard. I would like to get new cables, but I want to know what I can do personally to prevent this from happening again.
Hi there,
This looks a lot like what happens to my HD 650 cable, though mine never gets so bad. It happens when you repeatedly pass the main length of the cable between the Y-split and the headphones, causing it to twist. You can usually fix it by detaching the cable from the headphone and allowing it to untwist, though that DUM cable looks like maybe you'll have to coax and massage it back into its sheathing and maybe untwist it manually.

This happens to my headphones because of the way I hang them on a hook. I almost always hang the headphones first then the cable; then I pick them up again headphones first, cable second, causing a twist. I can imagine something similar happening if you lay them flat with the cable between the cups.

Good luck, I hope this helps!

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #5 of 7
You should unplug the cables from the headphones and twist it in the opposite direction to get rid of the kinks. Since it has happened to multiple cables, it may also have to do with how you are storing them, make sure you are leaving the cables bent under the headphone if you put them on a headphone stand.

Also side note, I would definitely consider upgrading your cables for the Clears. I have gone through the Elear's, Elex's, and currently own the Clear's and Celestees. All the cables have been very subpar and tend to keep the cable memory.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back