Why do most online stores have such crappy service?
Feb 26, 2008 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

BoxBoxBox

Aka: AndrewG
The past few months I've encountered crappy service from pretty much every business I've e-mailed. I'm lucky if I get a response half the time. TTVJ and soundstagedirect don't even bother responding to my e-mails, other companies take weeks to respond, and others, like ebay sellers don't respond at all. Worst is when they have half a sentence as answers that don't even address all my points.

I realize these businesses are probably all busy, but part of running a business is having decent customer service -- unless they're simply training to own mega corporations, so their path of keeping the customer out of the loop is the correct one. If the volume is too high, they could easily hire someone minimum wage to handle it.

It just reflects badly on these companies, as if all they're concerned about is getting their products and selling them ASAP and have no concern at all about the people that are actually making their business successful, that the customer is just a necessary evil. I used to think it was just B & M stores that were sleazy like that, but no, it's everyone.

Feb 26, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #3 of 13
Definitely call, I know someone who runs a small business over the internet and he easily gets 100-150 e-mails a day, most of which contain questions which could easily be answered if people looked around the web site.

Feb 27, 2008 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 13
Because you use online stores with crappy service?

Seriously, I only use stores like B&H photo, 6th ave. etc. and I've had excellent service.

GAD

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:14 AM Post #5 of 13
I had great service from ttvj, but I did call.

Feb 27, 2008 at 8:29 AM Post #6 of 13
You get what you pay for. If you want prices cut barely above wholesale, they're not going to hire anyone good, or anyone at all for customer service.

It's worth paying a few extra dollars for better service if you ask me.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I definitely think so too. I looked at two similar items, in the same location, on ebay today, one more expensive than the other, and the cheaper item took 3-4 weeks to arrive in past transactions compared to 1 week for the more expensive item.
The higher-priced item's seller also demonstrated greater professionalism. I would expect that the level of service in general would be as good as their ability to move goods fast (or slow).

When I buy something I am buying more than the physical item - I am paying for a reliable and comfortable service before, during and after purchase. After purchase is extremely important and generally overlooked I think.

The best way to accurately judge potential service quality is by gathering feedback.

I've dealt with some very good companies and individuals online. My negative experiences could have been avoided if I wasn't so forgiving and had followed my gut instinct. Which I try to do now.

IMO there is no excuse whatsoever for bad customer service. The good thing about commerce today is that you have a lot of choice in who you give your money to. I don't reward poor customer service.

I'm sorry about your bad experiences. It's experience nonetheless and I'm sure that if you put some pressure on them by telephone you'll get a hold of them.

Feb 27, 2008 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You get what you pay for. If you want prices cut barely above wholesale, they're not going to hire anyone good, or anyone at all for customer service.

This is the way it works.

Feb 27, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 13
They cut costs (ex. on service) to keep the prices down. Thats just how it works.
You get what you pay for!

Mar 2, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #11 of 13
since they are so far away and you can't do anything. you have to be careful with which companies you do business and check the ratings as well as use a card which protects you

Mar 5, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxBoxBox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The past few months I've encountered crappy service from pretty much every business I've e-mailed. I'm lucky if I get a response half the time. TTVJ and soundstagedirect don't even bother responding to my e-mails, other companies take weeks to respond, and others, like ebay sellers don't respond at all. Worst is when they have half a sentence as answers that don't even address all my points.

I realize these businesses are probably all busy, but part of running a business is having decent customer service -- unless they're simply training to own mega corporations, so their path of keeping the customer out of the loop is the correct one. If the volume is too high, they could easily hire someone minimum wage to handle it.

It just reflects badly on these companies, as if all they're concerned about is getting their products and selling them ASAP and have no concern at all about the people that are actually making their business successful, that the customer is just a necessary evil. I used to think it was just B & M stores that were sleazy like that, but no, it's everyone.

we have put in a new Customer Service link on the homepage that goes out to 6 people and you will get a response within 4 business hours

Mar 6, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 13
oh lol.
Also, I've never really experienced problems. I've actually had exceptional service from headphonic and COEM audio. Marcus replies very fast, and COEMs IM option is alright too. Good stores, planning on dealing with them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back