Why do most headphones have recessed mid range?
Mar 5, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #31 of 59
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Beyerdynamic-DT-770-PRO-80-Closed-Studio-Headphones-Full-Warranty-Auth-Dealer-/131125471343?pt=US_DJ_Monitoring_Headphones&hash=item1e87afe86f

Open box, but from an authorized reseller with warranty. 

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #32 of 59

I'd really suggest hopping on eBay and getting a new pair there, dude. The 80 is a significantly better product.

Is it really *that* much better? I don't really like buying used. I like having warranties on things. Is there any comparisons out there?

The 80 ohm is 165 used while the 32 ohm is 175 new, with warranty

haha stop failing at using ebay http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=DT770&_dcat=14985&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3

There are news ones on there for 175!

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #33 of 59
Aha! Sorry at being bad at using ebay. Luckily I found pair for 175, and its in my state and city. New, factory sealed, and has manufacturers warranty.

Uh also, Do the earpads make a huge difference? I am seeing ones with velour and ones with a leather type material. What would you recommend?

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #34 of 59
Aha! Sorry at being bad at using ebay. Luckily I found pair for 175, and its in my state and city. New, factory sealed, and has manufacturers warranty.

Uh also, Do the earpads make a huge difference? I am seeing ones with velour and ones with a leather type material. What would you recommend?

Velour is a little less isolating but so comfortable. A guy I know whose favorite is DT770 described the Beyer velours as "having a pair of cats wrapped round my ears."

Mar 5, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #35 of 59

Velour is a little less isolating but so comfortable. A guy I know whose favorite is DT770 described the Beyer velours as "having a pair of cats wrapped round my ears."

Cats?! I love cats! Sadly I think I need the isolation a bit more than cats.

Note to self, buying delta fans wasn't the best move.

Thanks for all your help everyone, I really appreciate it.

Also is ebay like amazon in that if you simply don't like the product you can return it? I (obviously) haven't used ebay much.

Mar 6, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #38 of 59
It's strange, i don't think most headphones have recessed mids at all, if anything i think most headphones are overly forward in the mids. I think people see a V shape as having recessed mids, which is of course correct but it's actually the accentuated bass and treble that creates this illusion imo.

Mar 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #39 of 59
  It's strange, i don't think most headphones have recessed mids at all, if anything i think most headphones are overly forward in the mids. I think people see a V shape as having recessed mids, which is of course correct but it's actually the accentuated bass and treble that creates this illusion imo.

He was referring to the graphs when he said "most headphones," and yeah it isn't that they're actually recessed but they tipped up bass and sometimes there's a spike in the treble. Of course when most headphones have very forward mids, it's by design that the driver size can't produce enough bass or treble and midrange is considered more important than either, or in cases where the graph actually shows a higher bass response, it comes down to psychoacoustics. Either the bass doesn't develop the impact as people are used to getting from speakers, or it stages the bass drum behind the other instruments. I've read reviews on some DACs or CDPs as having "good bass," then  try it on my HD600 and Cantate.2, and the bass drum is in front of the vocals. The Cantate.2's PCM2702 has deep, natural-sounding bass drum hits and they're behind the vocals (how far behind depends on the recording), but I'm sure some people might think this combo doesn't have enough bass because their minds focus too much on the midrange.

Mar 6, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #40 of 59
Interesting. Thanks for explaining things guys. Also the receiver I was talking about. It seems to be extremely old, from 1970 something. What do I need to plug things into it? I am almost positive its an RCA jack on the back.

Any loss in quality going from 3.5 to RCA?

250 Ohm DT770 or 80 Ohm DT770? Considering the 250Ohm is 25 bucks cheaper. ( doesn't sound like alot but I can justify spending 150 on headphones but 175 is pushing it. Its stupid, I know)

Mar 6, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #41 of 59
Interesting. Thanks for explaining things guys. Also the receiver I was talking about. It seems to be extremely old, from 1970 something. What do I need to plug things into it? I am almost positive its an RCA jack on the back.

Any loss in quality going from 3.5 to RCA?

Is that 3.5mm from a sound card or portable player? I wouldn't worry too much about it. If anything a portable player won't have the same specs as a lineout designed to feed a line input like that but you could use that for now.

Mar 7, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #42 of 59

Is that 3.5mm from a sound card or portable player? I wouldn't worry too much about it. If anything a portable player won't have the same specs as a lineout designed to feed a line input like that but you could use that for now.

Its just from my onboard sound. I don't have any portable players so its not a big deal. Travelling around and listening to things isn't my forte.

Mar 7, 2014 at 5:07 AM Post #43 of 59
Its just from my onboard sound. I don't have any portable players so its not a big deal. Travelling around and listening to things isn't my forte.

Just use the soundcard for now, research on settings to optimize first. Better to get the soundcard when you can really tell if there's something lacking with that first, especially if you get to listen to your amp and headphone with a different source.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM Post #44 of 59
hisagishi said:
 I was just wondering why almost any headphones I have looked at have recessed mids?

Because most headphones come from corporation-run manufacturers that value the mainstream customer's tastes (emphasized treble and bass, recessed mids) than reproducing true, accurate sound with their products.

Full disclosure: I am new to audiophilia and I am not an industry analyst. Cheers!

Apr 20, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #45 of 59
558's do not have a recessed mid-range, but yes they can come out as muddy sometimes. 
598's sound a little better than the 558's. 

I wish I could find a headphone that does bass and mids very well. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back