why do i need a DAC for my X-fI?
Jul 19, 2007 at 6:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Chris_Himself

Member of the Trade: HPL Audio Cables
the title pretty much says it all.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #3 of 20
Yeah, don't let the people here convince you that you need an external DAC or a dedicated headphone amplifier. If it sounds good then it is good!

If you're looking to upgrade your source, then you could get an external DAC. Also, for clarification, there is already a DAC (digital to analog converter) in your X-Fi (you have to convert digital sound, such as in mp3s or music CDs, to analog in order to be able to listen to them). It's just that some DACs are better than others, either technically or on sonic merit (the two don't always go together).

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #4 of 20
oh so my amp can just go straight into teh X-Fi

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 20
Sure if you have the right cable. DAC is as people have said just an upgrade in sound.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:54 AM Post #6 of 20
The reason why people get external DACs is because sound cards are not ideal hosts for DAC chips. Noisy computer electronics and all that. More ideal to have the DAC outside the computer where it won't be affected by spinning drives and EMI.

Make sure you connect your amp to the X-Fi's line out, not the headphone jack, because that would be bad.
wink.gif

Also you should max out all the software-based volume sliders, because that digital control of volume is just software-based attenuation.

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 20
A DAC really isn't necessary unless you find your computer really noisy. Another reason to use a DAC is if it has a built-in amp, like the 0404. It lets you use the X-Fi's processor for games and have clean sound from your amp.

Jul 19, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 20
I can't believe I'm reading all this blasphemy! What is this world coming to? People on head-fi telling others *not* to spend money? ****!

Seriously, mod the X-FI and it'll hold your interests a while longer.

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #10 of 20
If the only reason to get an external DAC is to combat computer noise then there would be no need to upgrade any sound card above about $200. My Juli@ and the X-fi (especially with the DAC from the E-mu M series) are both dead quiet. Would there be a big difference in detail level between those cards and a high end external DAC?

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:24 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by neergan1216 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A DAC might not be any improvement.

Excuse you?
eek.gif
Any DAC will be a (big) improvement over an X-Fi.
Not because an X-Fi is that bad, it's because using an external DAC is that much better than a soundcard. Trust me, I've heard the difference.

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by AS1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Excuse you?
eek.gif
Any DAC will be a (big) improvement over an X-Fi.
Not because an X-Fi is that bad, it's because using an external DAC is that much better than a soundcard. Trust me, I've heard the difference.

I pretty much agree. Im sure there are really cheap external DACs out there that would not improve sq much, but for the most part they really do help.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #13 of 20
ok so would it be better to run the amp from the card or from a dedicated DAC.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:46 PM Post #14 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok so would it be better to run the amp from the card or from a dedicated DAC.

it doesn't matter. the x-fi is also a DAC. of course, there are better-sounding external DACs but the modded x-fi can easily compete in the $500 class of external DACs. i'll stand by this statement until i hear something eye-opening in this price category.

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 20
Upgrade the opamps on your X-Fi. What you're mostly hearing is the poor opamps. There are other options like using a passive out from the X-Fi DAC itself (ala iMod). Running an amp from your X-FI is amping the output of the X-Fi opamps. Since that's the weakest link, getting rid of it or replacing it will do wonders. After that you can decide what's best for you. The DAC choices are vast. Everytime I think I've settled, something new comes along and makes me go hmmm.

X-Fi modding thread:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=229350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back