why do i need a DAC for my X-fI?
Jul 20, 2007 at 9:49 PM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
modded x-fi can easily compete in the $500 class of external DACs. i'll stand by this statement until i hear something eye-opening in this price category.

Better than OMZ or your ZapFiltered Zhaolu? Big Wow, if that's the case. I'm eyeing the Opus, right now.

Edit: Grr, I read it as better, but you said compete. Big Big difference, so strike my comment.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by holland /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Better than OMZ or your ZapFiltered Zhaolu? Big Wow, if that's the case. I'm eyeing the Onus, right now.

Edit: Grr, I read it as better, but you said compete. Big Big difference, so strike my comment.
smily_headphones1.gif

lol sorry... i meant the commercial DACs in that price range. the DIY DACs you can make for $500 are in another class in terms of bass, soundstage, and dynamics.

Jul 20, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #18 of 20
i dont even know how to recable, how would i know how to properly tamper with a 140 dollar sound card?

Jul 21, 2007 at 6:33 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont even know how to recable, how would i know how to properly tamper with a 140 dollar sound card?

Based on the specs for your X-Fi Extreme Music card, you already have a pretty good DAC:
http://www.creative.com/products/pro...ct=14066&nav=1

Get a simple amp and connect it via the line out (following the suggestion from one of the other posters) -- and, wallah, you've got a pretty good sound rig. I went that route, too, but opted for the X-Fi Elite Pro because of the console and better DAC (on the card). The console provides all kinds of ins/outs, iincluding optical, coaxial, and analog. The software suite is great, too. In the beginning, I hooked up a simple amp via the line out from the card. Later, I added other amps, transports, DACs -- but I still use the X-Fi as the main hub for the computer as source. Lately, though, I've been using the USB port and bypassing the X-Fi, but it's still there in the lineup and used regularly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back