Why do HD580 Jubilees sell for more than HD600's?
Apr 13, 2010 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

fjrabon

Headphoneus Supremus
Is it just the rarity/collectability factor? Or are they actually supposed to be better?

Typically a used HD600 goes for around $220 and used HD580 Jubilees go for about $350-$400 a lot of times.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #2 of 13
It's a matter of popularity, IMO. The HD580's Jubilee was a limited edition made from carbon fiber. And they were indeed 1/3 more expensive than later HD600.

Apr 13, 2010 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 13
I think they look better also. Not ~$200 better IMO, but if someone have cash to spare and likes to collect limited production items, it might be worth it.

Value is decided by the people. If people are willing to pay, the price will stay high.

Apr 13, 2010 at 11:29 PM Post #5 of 13
Sadly, anything limited and exclusive will command a higher price over similar if not exact models. I would love to have the Jubilees if not of aesthetic and exclusive reasons, but always get outbid. Might as well get a brand new set of HD600 or HD650 for the used commanding price of the beautiful Jubilees.

I see you're considering the HD580 or HD600. Great cans either one, but if you want to try the top tier Sennheiser HD series minus the great 800, the 580 can be had for less that $150 and the 600 for about $75 more. Either one is a great bargain price to try out and if you don't like it, you'll sell it without loss.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 13
My understanding was that the HD580 Jubilee and the HD600 are literally identical, except that the Jubilee has its own spiffy finish – which, admittedly, does look very good – and is limited edition. The HD600 adopted its more durable construction from the Jubilee, and carbon fiber was incorporated into its design. That is why I ended up buying the HD600 as opposed to the standard HD580 myself.

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valens7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My understanding was that the HD580 Jubilee and the HD600 are literally identical, except that the Jubilee has its own spiffy finish – which, admittedly, does look very good – and is limited edition. The HD600 adopted its more durable construction from the Jubilee, and carbon fiber was incorporated into its design. That is why I ended up buying the HD600 as opposed to the standard HD580 myself.

This would be correct. I doubt the Jubilee is sought after simply because it's limited edition--more importantly, it's a way to own what is essentially an HD600 without it looking, well, like an HD600.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/6556055-post14.html

Is this why you're asking? Lol

yeah, that thread brought it back to my mind, but it's always something I've wondered about. If there were any supposed sound benefits to the Jubilee, or if it's just the aesthetic/collectability factor.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #12 of 13
I have a set of Jubilees here, unfortunately with a bad driver. There is absolutely no carbon fiber that I can spot, anywhere. The carbon fiber "look" is from a nice paint applied to the molded plastic parts. It can and will chip off.

Before the driver had its issues (my fault - not the headhones'), it sounded smoother than the HD600 I previously owned (my biggest complaint about the HD600's sonics). Otherwise, the sound signature was essentially the same. With other brands (GRADO), I might speculate that a small-ish difference like this could be partially due to unit-to-unit variations, but all the Sennheisers I've heard have been extremely consistent (within the same model number) - that would be out of character for them.

The smoothness can be worth the premium over the HD600, for those that either prefer the HD600 over the HD650, or like them about equally. Those that prefer the HD650 signature (myself included) should stick with that. I bought a replacement set of HD650 drivers to put in the Jubilees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back