Why do/don't "audiophile" cables improve sound?
Dec 9, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #136 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by LawnGnome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The real question is.

If you guys beleive in cables so much, why aren't your systems hardwired?

A hardwired system would remove 2 unsoldered connections, 4 soldered connections from each channel.

IF there would be an improvement, logically this would provide a much better solution, and at far less cost.

Because if you think capacitance and inductance of cables that differ by a few pico measurements is important, look at what those RCA or 3.5mm connections add.

Actually I am getting my vCap dock hardwired. I do believe in it.
biggrin.gif
For other things like my RCA interconnects, I will take the hit the connectors make so that I can keep them as I upgrade. Replaceable parts were such a great invention.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DoomzDayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh ok, well that's good. so when i cut this HD650 cable to 1/3 or 1/4th the length, it will be like an upgrade unless my source isn't in my pocket?

It should have a slight positive effect in theory. Using a cable with better matching capacitance with source or amp that is manufactured in the right braid or weave and especially shielding would arguably add much more. Is it possible that headphones that arguably don't need a higher capacitance cable would also be more sensitive to change in it?

Dec 9, 2007 at 11:38 AM Post #137 of 293
If it was for the known electrical values, why don't you talk to someone who knows what he's talking about and hasn't an interest in telling you **** to get his hands on your money?

If you know the in- and outputimpedances of your gear, it's a triviality for a technically trained person to calculate the influence of these values on the signal.

Thing is, for any reasonable combination of cable and gear, you'll get values that are far, far, far out af any frequency range that might be of interest for you.

Problem with these values is, the snake oilers tell you about the effects (which are true) without informing you about the proportions and scales you're about to throw your money at. I wouldn't give a single penny to so someone who tries to play such tricks on me.

I mean, if the -3db point of your cable drops from 10Mhz to 8Mhz if you cut it in half, would you really care?
(Just as a reminder: Even if you could experience a difference in this regions: There's nothing on the CD over 20KHz).

Here's a (unfortunately german) Excel-sheet to calculate a cables properties:

File-Upload.net - Ihr kostenloser File Hoster!

Dec 9, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #138 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We wouldn't really have to worry about capacitance, inductance, and impedance quite as much if we could all use shorter cables.

With the cable lengths used in most stereo systems, none of that makes any difference at all.

See ya
Steve

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:18 PM Post #139 of 293
Quote:

Why do/don't "audiophile" cables improve sound?

You don't seriously expect a definitive answer from this forum, do you?

Quote:

I'm saying if cables made a noticeable difference, we could measure it. But we can not. So they do not make a difference. Unless there is some sort of unmeasurable "magic" property to cables that breaks the laws of physics.

Different cables measure differently. They have different C, L and R and other deviations primarily resulting from the dielectric properties. But it's true: those don't reflect the characteristics some audiophiles believe to hear. However, different cables also cause signal-shape variations. They're just not accepted by EEs as a possible source of «cable sound», because they seem too tiny to be perceivable, and moreover most of them are apparently located in the ultrasonic range.

Quote:

In terms of audio reproduction, humans have it down to a pretty good science.

Are you sure? I think at least 90% of the cable-sound skeptics believe in audible differences between different electronics components (amps, digital players). But if you look at their data, there's no reason for most of modern amps and CDPs to show sonic differences: ruler-flat frequency responses, negligible distortion and noise... So you really can tell which measuring values are responsible for which sonic characteristics with, say, solid-state headphone amps with less than 0.2 dB drop-off at 20 Hz/20 kHz, less than 0.1% THD and IMD and less than 1 ohm output impedance? I bet you can't, and it will be hard to find an EE who can.

Quote:

«Can depth and width of soundstage, and change in tone be measured? Because i have had all these changes when switching cables in my speaker system. The overall freq. response may not have changed but the presentation was a big difference.»
Yes, those are all functions of the waveforms. People tend to give sound properties that it does not have. There is no magic to it. It is all about accurately produced waveforms.

I fully agree with this. IMO width and especially depth of soundstage are the result of accurately reproduced waveforms throughout the whole reproduction chain, facilitating the left/right localization and the perception of distance of the sound sources thanks to the high detail resolution, thus the differentiation between direct and reflected sound on the recording.
The above experience report is a hint that cables can indeed have an impact on signal accuracy.

Quote:

Accepting something to be true when it is unproven to be true is intellectual curiosity.

Bravo! Of course nobody will accept something to be true without corresponding experience. In my younger years I was a proud member of team cable-sound skeptics/deniers. But one day my «intellectual curiosity» drove me to replace the cabling of my speaker setup by some pretty looking high-end cables. The result was pretty unexpected: The sound had changed, and I didn't like the new characteristic at all. I was lucky that my dealer accepted a return, although not at full refund (not least due to the fact that my soldering at that time was less than perfect). A while later I had the idea that it might just have been the result of a mistuning of my carefully tuned setup, particularly because of the 3rd- and 4rth-order filters used in my then homegrown speakers -- which react pretty critical even to small changes in the chain.

Although the seed was sown, it took a while until my next cable experiment. I began to build my own cables. The more I dived into the matter, the more convinced I was that cables do indeed alter the sound in characteristic ways, depending on geometry and materials. After having made hundreds of interconnect, digital and headphone cables I now have a small collection of homegrown references. In some positions within the system I prefer them to the few commercial products I own, in others I prefer the latter. Particularly headphone cables don't seem to like my cable philosophy as much as my (clearly shorter) interconnects.

Actually of all sorts of cables headphone cables show the greatest sonic deviations to my ears -- I'm quite sure that even most of the dye-hard skeptics couldn't ignore them.

Although I'm generally open to hypotheses outside the classic physics (i.e. the current state of science), I'm fairly convinced that the perceived sonic differences are finally measurable, even with today's equipment. We just have to know where to look at. Obviously the conventional measuring criteria -- THD, IMD, S/N, FR, impulse response, decay spectrum... -- fail with cables. Well, it depends on the understanding of the term «conventional». After all phase measurements are quite common. They just don't seem to make sense with cables. IMO that's the track that should be followed. This implies that I consider the skin effect relevant for the audio band.

I had one experience which confirms this idea: A friend of mine had a set of «GaborLinks», some metallic elements in a wooden box switched into the signal path with the purpose of manipulating the (high-frequency) phase response by means of the skin effect -- and this in the picosecond range. We had 20 or 30 different pairs to test. The astonishing result was that we were virtually unanimous in describing the characteristics with each pair of elements and had the same few favorites. The inventor (? -- at least a militant proponent; people who understand German may want to have a look at this Hi-Fi Forum thread) of the idea, Uwe Machenschalk, equates the effect with cable effects.

So it seems to me that microscopic phase-distortion patterns (going hand in hand with corresponding microscopic frequency-response distortions) could be the cause for the cable sound. Something the conventional electroacoustics don't care about these days, although it would be within the reach of existing measuring instruments. This theory also corresponds with my own experiences as a speaker builder, namely during my extremely pedantic crossover-network tuning which seemed to show that even tiny, barely measurable phase and FR deviations matter.

I do understand that people with a scientific background who at the same time don't hear sonic differences with cables become convinced skeptics (or «nonbelievers», resp.). I just wish this approach wouldn't lead to the kind of sarcasm and enmity that's often to be encountered on this forum (as in others).

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #141 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
JaZZ, did you DBT the cables to see if you actually did hear a difference, to make sure that your subconscious wasn't just making you think they made your setup sound better?

No -- DBTs are not allowed for Head-Fi members! (See forum rules!) But between you and me: I passed a headphone-cable blind test with two (Head-Fi) friends, my first and only one. BTW, the «cables» (which ones are you talking about?) didn't automatically make my setup sound better, just different.

Dec 10, 2007 at 10:03 PM Post #142 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaZZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't seriously expect a definitive answer from this forum, do you?

Different cables measure differently. They have different C, L and R and other deviations primarily resulting from the dielectric properties. But it's true: those don't reflect the characteristics some audiophiles believe to hear. However, different cables also cause signal-shape variations. They're just not accepted by EEs as a possible source of «cable sound», because they seem too tiny to be perceivable, and moreover most of them are apparently located in the ultrasonic range.

Are you sure? I think at least 90% of the cable-sound skeptics believe in audible differences between different electronics components (amps, digital players). But if you look at their data, there's no reason for most of modern amps and CDPs to show sonic differences: ruler-flat frequency responses, negligible distortion and noise... So you really can tell which measuring values are responsible for which sonic characteristics with, say, solid-state headphone amps with less than 0.2 dB drop-off at 20 Hz/20 kHz, less than 0.1% THD and IMD and less than 1 ohm output impedance? I bet you can't, and it will be hard to find an EE who can.

I fully agree with this. IMO width and especially depth of soundstage are the result of accurately reproduced waveforms throughout the whole reproduction chain, facilitating the left/right localization and the perception of distance of the sound sources thanks to the high detail resolution, thus the differentiation between direct and reflected sound on the recording.
The above experience report is a hint that cables can indeed have an impact on signal accuracy.

Bravo! Of course nobody will accept something to be true without corresponding experience. In my younger years I was a proud member of team cable-sound skeptics/deniers. But one day my «intellectual curiosity» drove me to replace the cabling of my speaker setup by some pretty looking high-end cables. The result was pretty unexpected: The sound had changed, and I didn't like the new characteristic at all. I was lucky that my dealer accepted a return, although not at full refund (not least due to the fact that my soldering at that time was less than perfect). A while later I had the idea that it might just have been the result of a mistuning of my carefully tuned setup, particularly because of the 3rd- and 4rth-order filters used in my then homegrown speakers -- which react pretty critical even to small changes in the chain.

Although the seed was sown, it took a while until my next cable experiment. I began to build my own cables. The more I dived into the matter, the more convinced I was that cables do indeed alter the sound in characteristic ways, depending on geometry and materials. After having made hundreds of interconnect, digital and headphone cables I now have a small collection of homegrown references. In some positions within the system I prefer them to the few commercial products I own, in others I prefer the latter. Particularly headphone cables don't seem to like my cable philosophy as much as my (clearly shorter) interconnects.

Actually of all sorts of cables headphone cables show the greatest sonic deviations to my ears -- I'm quite sure that even most of the dye-hard skeptics couldn't ignore them.

Although I'm generally open to hypotheses outside the classic physics (i.e. the current state of science), I'm fairly convinced that the perceived sonic differences are finally measurable, even with today's equipment. We just have to know where to look at. Obviously the conventional measuring criteria -- THD, IMD, S/N, FR, impulse response, decay spectrum... -- fail with cables. Well, it depends of the understanding of the term «conventional». After all phase measurements are quite common. They just don't seem to make sense with cables. IMO that's the track that should be followed. This implies that I consider the skin effect relevant for the audio band.

I had one experience which confirms this idea: A friend of mine had a set of «GaborLinks», some metallic elements in a wooden box switched into the signal path with the purpose of manipulating the (high-frequency) phase response by means of the skin effect -- and this in the picosecond range. We had 20 or 30 different pairs to test. The astonishing result was that we were virtually unanimous in describing the characteristics with each pair of elements and had the same few favorites. The inventor (? -- at least a militant proponent; people who understand German may want to have a look at this Hi-Fi Forum thread) of the idea, Uwe Machenschalk, equates the effect with cable effects.

So it seems to me that microscopic phase-distortion patterns (going hand in hand with corresponding microscopic frequency-response distortions) could be the cause for the cable sound. Something the conventional electroacoustics don't care about these days, although it would be within the reach of existing measuring instruments. This theory also corresponds with my own experiences as a speaker builder, namely during my extremely pedantic crossover-network tuning which seemed to show that even tiny, barely measurable phase and FR deviations matter.

I do understand that people with a scientific background who at the same time don't hear sonic differences with cables become convinced skeptics (or «nonbelievers», resp.). I just wish this approach wouldn't lead to the kind of sarcasm and enmity that's often to be encountered on this forum (as in others).

If all "pro cable"-posts had this level, there wouldn't be much reason for sarcasm. First reasonable pro-cable post in the whole thread (and a lot of others) although i clearely disagree on the subject.
What makes people (read: me) sarcastic is that the majority of discutants here doesn't have and doesn't accept any kind of technical knowledge. Argumantations are build upon pure (cheap) tactics and knockout arguments. Most of the time, not even good ones.

Don't post if you didn't listen. Damn, your ears/gear must be bad. Ignore list this, ignore list that. Lalala, soon this will be over.

But anyway: Whats your point on the argumentation, that, even if the cable might do something, it wouldn't be of interest anyway because of the lack of information on the source beforehand?

Thinking it through to the end, all that the "better" cable might transfer, that the cheap one doesn't, could be artefacts of the electronic components.
Hence, the cable with the inferior transfer characteristics (outside the audible range) would be the better one.

Dec 11, 2007 at 3:22 AM Post #143 of 293
Quote:

You obviously are not very handy in EE or even DIY. (not to sound offensive)

Because you completely forgot to mention slew rate and settling time.

The specs provided by an amp/source producer aren't even half of the specs you need to measure to see the differences.

Look up some actual white papers and you will quickly see what I'm talking about.

Dec 11, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #144 of 293
Here's a very expensive cable. Well not really a cable. The very expensive Harmonic Technology's Cyberlight.

Here's its measurement

Stereophile: Harmonic Technology CyberLight Wave & P2A interconnects
John Atkinson actually said this is a defective product.

And here's the review and comment from another thread here.

Yeah, I know about the measurements. Luckily, I don't listen to measurements. What I hear is very similar to what Mikey Fremer actually said about their sound:

"The most fabulous sound

If you hear what I heard, for the first time in your life you'll hear no cables whatsoever. When you switch back to any brand of metal conductors, you'll know you're hearing cables—because what's transmitted via CyberLight will be the most gloriously open, coherent, delicate, extended, transparent, pristine sound you've ever heard from your system—at least if you hear what I heard.

There was a delicacy and purity to high-frequency transients that was immediate and unmistakable. By comparison, going back to regular cables made everything sound bright or dull or spotlit or hard, depending. The CyberLights produced an effortlessness and a pulse-like coherence that was more "musical" than anything else I've experienced while listening to recorded music. The bass was ultratight and round and "right," and the harmonic balance and overall musical decay were more natural and believable than I'd ever heard from any stereo system."

So this cable do sound different, it has a lot of distortion (up to 10%). However, it sounded "musical"and "gloriously open and coherent". (Don't ask me what that mean). So maybe measurement really don't matter. Distortion actually adds to musicality and a bumped up bass response gives you ultra-tight bass instead of a boomy bass.

Dec 11, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #145 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a very expensive cable. Well not really a cable. The very expensive Harmonic Technology's Cyberlight.

Here's its measurement

Stereophile: Harmonic Technology CyberLight Wave & P2A interconnects
John Atkinson actually said this is a defective product.

And here's the review and comment from another thread here.

Yeah, I know about the measurements. Luckily, I don't listen to measurements. What I hear is very similar to what Mikey Fremer actually said about their sound:

"The most fabulous sound

If you hear what I heard, for the first time in your life you'll hear no cables whatsoever. When you switch back to any brand of metal conductors, you'll know you're hearing cables—because what's transmitted via CyberLight will be the most gloriously open, coherent, delicate, extended, transparent, pristine sound you've ever heard from your system—at least if you hear what I heard.

There was a delicacy and purity to high-frequency transients that was immediate and unmistakable. By comparison, going back to regular cables made everything sound bright or dull or spotlit or hard, depending. The CyberLights produced an effortlessness and a pulse-like coherence that was more "musical" than anything else I've experienced while listening to recorded music. The bass was ultratight and round and "right," and the harmonic balance and overall musical decay were more natural and believable than I'd ever heard from any stereo system."

So this cable do sound different, it has a lot of distortion (up to 10%). However, it sounded "musical"and "gloriously open and coherent". (Don't ask me what that mean). So maybe measurement really don't matter. Distortion actually adds to musicality and a bumped up bass response gives you ultra-tight bass instead of a boomy bass.

They throw those terms at almost any device.

Tightened bass, better extension, smoother, more life like, better separation, etc etc.

They are useless terms since they are used to describe almost damn well everything.

And who said a bass response boost tightened it? the article sure didn't.

Also, Micheal Fremer acts like a child, and seems to have the reasoning levels of a child. Read into the million dollar challenge thread, and its links to see why.

Dec 11, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #146 of 293
Quote:

And who said a bass response boost tightened it? the article sure didn't.

Well, I am not making this up. Look at the frequency response in the article. There is a bump from 10Hz to 50Hz. The review said "the bass is ultra tight". So the bump must have tightened the bass, right?

There is also large distortion from 16KHz and up. That must be where the pristine sound is coming from.

Anyway, this is the measurable difference.

Dec 11, 2007 at 12:39 PM Post #147 of 293
Quote:

You obviously are not very handy in EE or even DIY. (not to sound offensive)

...of course not!
cool.gif

Quote:

Because you completely forgot to mention slew rate and settling time.

The specs provided by an amp/source producer aren't even half of the specs you need to measure to see the differences.

Actually I was talking of real measuring data, not manufacturer specs. So you think you or any EE can predict the sonic characteristics of any amp by means of slew rate and settling time? -- To be honest: I doubt it.

The German magazine Stereoplay -- or more precisely the bunch of EEs in its editorial office -- has developed a method to «predict» amp sound or rather confirm the heard characteristics consisting of detailed analysis of harmonic distortion. According to their theory, it's rather the HD pattern than the HD intensity which makes for organic, natural and clean sound. (Note that we're still talking of THD values clearly below 0.1%.) They didn't lose a word about slew rate or settling time in their articles when it comes to amp sound, BTW.

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #149 of 293
Quote:

...of course not!
cool.gif

Actually I was talking of real measuring data, not manufacturer specs. So you think you or any EE can predict the sonic characteristics of any amp by means of slew rate and settling time? -- To be honest: I doubt it.

The German magazine Stereoplay -- or more precisely the bunch of EEs in its editorial office -- has developed a method to «predict» amp sound or rather confirm the heard characteristics consisting of detailed analysis of harmonic distortion. According to their theory, it's rather the HD pattern than the HD intensity which makes for organic, natural and clean sound. (Note that we're still talking of THD values clearly below 0.1%.) They didn't lose a word about slew rate or settling time in their articles when it comes to amp sound, BTW.

Slew rate and settling time can tell you more about sound than other specs.

Also, in the DIY forum we use Slew rate and settling time to estimate the resolution of opamps.

And we get it right. because faster slew rate, and lower settling time directly translates into better resolution.

Dec 11, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #150 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by yotacowboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And one that people can hear (as per the claims made in the article).

In a negative way, in the way of a hum sound.

Also, this isn't even a cable, it is some sort of active device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back