why do cd's scratch?
Oct 7, 2003 at 1:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ilikemonkeys

500+ Head-Fier
we can send a man to the moon, we can put a Starbucks on every conrer of the world, and I can teach my mother how to e-mail, but we cant make a cd that wont scratch?

Is there a shadow government that oversees this? Are there dark forces preventing consumers from long cd life pleasure?

Am I alone in this quandry?

BILL

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:12 PM Post #2 of 16
The reason why CDs scratch is so that minidiscs can exist
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2003 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 16
Ilikemonkeys,

I have gone through several discs of The Wall by Pink Floyd. Each time tracks Empty Spaces and Young Lust are the first to go (on disc one) followed by Hey You on disc 2.

Then there is Tool album - Lateralus. The song "Lateralus" and Disposition are notorious for getting scratched. I have only purchased this album once, but I know 2 other guys who have had problems on multiple discs on the SAME tracks.

It could all be a coincidence, but now that you mention the dark forces preventing consumbers from long cd life pleasure and the shadow government, I just am not so sure anymore
wink.gif

Oct 7, 2003 at 3:01 PM Post #5 of 16
Maybe when we can manufactur cheap diamonds, we can use that as the surface? *shrug* Otherwise any other softer material is at the mercy of scratching.

Oct 7, 2003 at 5:41 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by lan
Maybe when we can manufactur cheap diamonds, we can use that as the surface?

No, that will never happen. For every scratched cd the industry counts on another CD purchase. Why would they try to fix a problem that earns them money?

Oct 7, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #7 of 16
I thought ilikemonkeys was talking more about technical perspective rather than if it would actually be implemented.

Oct 7, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #8 of 16
Any good hip-hop DJ will tell you that LP's "scratch" better than CD's...
biggrin.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 12:57 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by ilikemonkeys
we can send a man to the moon, we can put a Starbucks on every conrer of the world, and I can teach my mother how to e-mail, but we cant make a cd that wont scratch?

Is there a shadow government that oversees this? Are there dark forces preventing consumers from long cd life pleasure?

Am I alone in this quandry?

BILL

I have more than a 1000 Cd's and about 200 music DVDs, none of them have any scratches at all, my personal reco:

1. Cd's are for home use...(cars, buses, bikes, plains, etc....burn a copy....period, no other way)
2. Cd's require attention, (if you are planning to do anything else, finish first what you are doing, and then manipulate the Cd's)
3. All wallets sucks, Jewel cases are made for the Cd's, not the wallets...the wallets are for the copies, all wallets will scratch the CD sooner or later.
4. If a CD got scratched, replace it, instead of repairing, repairs sucks....
5. And this is the more important....CD are meant to play them, not to play with them, so Cd's are for adults, keep them away from kids!!!!!!!!

I think that if you follow those rules you will have no problems, or at least a lot less....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #12 of 16
I was one of the early adopters of the CD back in the mid-80s. When they first came out (and for the first 5-10 years), CDs were VERY difficult to scratch in a way that would harm playback. In fact, that was one of the big pluses that lured consumers away from LPs. The jewel cases were also made MUCH better than the ones today.

Around the early 90s or so, I think the recording industry began to wake up to the idea that "Perfect Sound Forever" was NOT such a good idea. Thus, the modern CDs, which are thinner, easier to scratch, and protected less, became the norm.

Oct 8, 2003 at 2:42 AM Post #13 of 16
I burned all my CDs this summer to CDRs. I took all the originals and stored them in a safe place. As I get new CDs I burn them to CDR. I'm hoping that when I'm 60 (I'm 19 now), my grandkids will be making fun of my "ancient" CD collection that still plays perfectly.

Oct 8, 2003 at 10:10 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Daemoth
I burned all my CDs this summer to CDRs. I took all the originals and stored them in a safe place. As I get new CDs I burn them to CDR. I'm hoping that when I'm 60 (I'm 19 now), my grandkids will be making fun of my "ancient" CD collection that still plays perfectly.

I'm similar in this regard.. I only ever pull out the originals to rip to disk or make a cd-r.. usually as soon as i get it home from the store.. then it's promptly put back in the case and stored away nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2003 at 6:41 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by Sovkiller
I have more than a 1000 Cd's and about 200 music DVDs, none of them have any scratches at all, my personal reco:

1. Cd's are for home use...(cars, buses, bikes, plains, etc....burn a copy....period, no other way)
2. Cd's require attention, (if you are planning to do anything else, finish first what you are doing, and then manipulate the Cd's)
3. All wallets sucks, Jewel cases are made for the Cd's, not the wallets...the wallets are for the copies, all wallets will scratch the CD sooner or later.
4. If a CD got scratched, replace it, instead of repairing, repairs sucks....
5. And this is the more important....CD are meant to play them, not to play with them, so Cd's are for adults, keep them away from kids!!!!!!!!

I think that if you follow those rules you will have no problems, or at least a lot less....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Those are my 5 commandments!
From Case to CDP. From CDP to Case. No CD wallets!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back