Why do CDs need to be mastered differently to Vinyl?
Apr 13, 2010 at 5:27 PM Post #46 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shark_Jump /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to it.

Here you are : samples from Depeche Mode - Strangelove (maxi mix).

First one taken from the original mastering : Maxi1.ogg

1992 re-release, bit-wise identical to the 1987 original CD single except fade-in and fade-out.

Second one from a remastering done in 2004 : Maxi2.ogg

Waveform comparison :

maxi.png

There are several differences between the samples. Of course, the volume is higher on the remaster.

Then, the equalization is different. Bass and treble were boosted on the remaster. It's a bit too much, but this track can stand it quite well. For other songs, such an equalization is often unlistenable.

Then, dynamics are compressed. Though it is technically easy to find loads of remastered songs with shortened dynamics, it is quite difficult to find a song where this is musically obvious. Especially since most pop music originals are not very dynamic to begin with.
But I think that this example is good. The original's rhythm is underlined with dynamics drums-like instruments, and the loss of dynamics in the remaster comes together with a loss of musical rythmic presence.

The remaster is also clipped, but this is not audible in this part. Several seconds later, however, the chorus has its treble horribly muddled by clipping.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #47 of 47
Thanks Pio, excellent work to find a remaster.

I have had a listen for a few times. I nearly blew my ear drums out the first time I played the second version. That is a huge increase in loudness.

I agree with your comments. With the second version it feels like their are no musical pauses, everything is more up front, in your face and fighting for attention. However I do find it difficult to compare details, I think this may have to do with the song itself as it is quite a busy track.

Also not sure if I'm imagining it, but the funky guitar plucks at the end sound like some detail is lost on the second version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back