Why did you join headfi?
Nov 27, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #91 of 144
specific advice from (mostly) impartial sources , just ordered some grado sr80is which may be my first good sounding headphone ever .  no doubt this will lead to other, more expensive stuff

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:11 AM Post #93 of 144
I joined Headfi because I was looking for a decent wireless headphones, I think it was the Pioneer DIR800C or something earlier.
Now seven years ahead, I still don't own the damn headphones. I remember Bangraman when I joined headfi.

Dec 1, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #94 of 144
I joined Head-Fi in March of 2008 to express my enjoyment for my new found hobby, High-End Headphone Audio.  After being a lurker for months on the site, here was my 1st post:

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on Head-Fi and I just wanted to say that I now get it...

I just unboxed a set of AKG K-240 MKII's and plugged them into my home studio. I fired up "Recknor" (Apple lossless) by Radiohead and WOW!! These things put my Senn PX-100's and Numark DJ sealed cans to shame. Not only are they comfortable, but the sound quality is amazing compared to what I've been used to.

There really is a difference in high"er" end cans. I'm going to have to go through some of my half-done music tracks and mix them down again with these new puppies.

Sorry about the irrational exuberance, but I'm really digging these!

..it's been a long road and a lot of more expensive gear since then, with no regrets!

Dec 2, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #97 of 144
I unofficially joined HeadFi about half a year ago when I bought my Cowon J3.  I figured I'd want some decent headphones and looking through the ABI forums and the iaudiophile.net posts, I saw a bunch of headphones and brands that I had never heard of before, so I started skimming through the HeadFi forums.  Once I researched and bought the phones (RE-Zeros) I stopped sifting this site and it left my mind.  Also, I said unofficially because I didn't actually sign up and register as a member.

Flash forward to a last month, I started to crave for a good set of cans and started using this site to research once again.  That's when I decided to sign up.  However, I've already purchased my new set of cans a few weeks ago and I'm still here.  This site is practically up 24/7 on my browser...

Dec 2, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #98 of 144
I was looking for a new wallet, so googled 'wallet forum' and got linked to one of the posts here with something like "...and sorry for your wallet"..
started reading and next thing I knew, wallet problem solved! apparently I now no longer need a wallet! 
biggrin.gif

just kidding..

Dec 2, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #99 of 144
The foam in the earpads of my headphones wore out. Now my credit card has.  

Dec 2, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #100 of 144
The wallet stuff is hilarious but true. I think I will stop somewhere reasonable though, because I am into a sound that is "colored." You just never know though....

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #101 of 144
After graduating secondary, I didn't persue my trumpet studies in uni so I switched to the role of music appreciator. I liked portableness so I landed at abi then managed to hear about here where I proceeded to drool over most of the setups here. After lurking for about one year, sucking down information, and looking at member's setups, I joined in October and purchased my first stationary setup. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #102 of 144
My ancient (early 1980's - don't even know the model number) Audio Technica 'phones came apart for the third time, and I was tied of reglueing them and wanted to replace them . . . I was using them with an iRiver imp-550, and then there was the added thought "what about using the digital output?".   Both of these issues led me here.

I've dropped a bit of cash, of course, but this hobby is much cheaper than my other one, Leica photography. 

Dec 4, 2010 at 8:29 AM Post #103 of 144

Quote:
My ancient (early 1980's - don't even know the model number) Audio Technica 'phones came apart for the third time, and I was tied of reglueing them and wanted to replace them . . . I was using them with an iRiver imp-550, and then there was the added thought "what about using the digital output?".   Both of these issues led me here.

I've dropped a bit of cash, of course, but this hobby is much cheaper than my other one, Leica photography. 

LOL. Look, a secret that head-fiers don't want you to know is that you don;t have to spend a fortune to get good sound or even get a lot of equipment. You can make it as expensive or cheap as you want.

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:29 AM Post #104 of 144
The point I was making is that what I have spent for all of my Head-Fi related purchases is probably less than for one new lens for a Leica !  Being a retired person now, I can no longer indulge my hobbies as I used to, but one really gets alot for one's money with today's sophisticated sound equipment.  The mid-level portable DACs, amps, and headphones are really amazing, if one chooses carefully with the advice from members of this forum.  And I say this based on over 60 years of listening, first to 78's when that was all that was available.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #105 of 144
Wow! That is a lot for a lens! I bet you take some gorgeous pics though. The mid level audio stuff one sees on head-fi really is good, with only slightly less quality than the top tier stuff. Heck, most  people who are not on head-fi probably could not  tell the difference. I went to a meet and I am not even sure I liked a lot of the stuff there. I am just going to have fun getting a bunch of mid-fi or even lower tier cans and modding them and playing around with the sound. It is a fun time. BTW, I am 16. I think it is a phenomenal time to get into audio. Soon all audiophile players will have super powerful tiny amps and will be balanced, all for a reasonable price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back