Why did the 1970's 'wood trim everywhere' fell out of favor?
Sep 19, 2010 at 8:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Banned at his own request
I am born in the 90's, however every time I look at those old(er) electronics with nice wood-grain vinyl veneers, I can't help but ask, why don't we have those made new anymore?
Also those station wagons with wood-grain side panels. I have never seen one in person, however those pictures on the web just make me think 'those look darn awesome, I want to drive one'.
So why don't we have wood-trim things anymore? I know, this may be a dumb question, but it's been bugging me for a while.

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:24 PM Post #2 of 27
Quote:
I am born in the 90's, however every time I look at those old(er) electronics with nice wood-grain vinyl veneers, I can't help but ask, why don't we have those made new anymore?
Also those station wagons with wood-grain side panels. I have never seen one in person, however those pictures on the web just make me think 'those look darn awesome, I want to drive one'.
So why don't we have wood-trim things anymore? I know, this may be a dumb question, but it's been bugging me for a while.

I must admit that a wood trim on electronics is a definite plus, but cost of manufacturing is probably one reason why we don't see it anymore.  Styles change all the time, and I'd bet that 99% of the population would rather have a sleek silver amplifier than a box-looking amp with a wood trim.

I used to see the cars with the wood paneling when I was a kid; believe me, they look even better in person!  The second you see one, you instinctively want to go on a camping trip.  No idea why...
tongue_smile.gif

As a side note, I'm glad wood paneling in living rooms has gone the way of the dodo.  Although, I'd probably prefer that to stucco.
eek.gif

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #3 of 27
Well, I'm happy that not so many cars have wood paneling these days... There's a very ugly PT cruiser looking thing from I believe Chevrolet that was in production within the past few years.

Wood is still used as an accent with many types of hi-fi equipment-- not quite as liberally used though. I have speaker stands made by Monster a few years ago that have wood veneer and many speakers, turn tables, headphones and other stuff!

Sep 19, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #4 of 27

Quote:
Well, I'm happy that not so many cars have wood paneling these days... There's a very ugly PT cruiser looking thing from I believe Chevrolet that was in production within the past few years.

Wood is still used as an accent with many types of hi-fi equipment-- not quite as liberally used though. I have speaker stands made by Monster a few years ago that have wood veneer and many speakers, turn tables, headphones and other stuff!

Fake wood paneling is the most heinously ugly thing to ever grace automobiles and most electronics. Counterexamples? The Aristaeus is gorgeous (I think that it's wood on the front panel, right?). It's a beautiful accent, but not cheap, I'm sure.

Sep 19, 2010 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 27
Wood veneer is often REALLY tacky - I'm glad it's no longer covering the bulk of mass produced products

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 27
I agree on the veneer and, sometimes, solid wood cases. One of my favorite pieces of gear is an old (ca. 1961) Scott 350B FM tuner. It has a champagne faceplate inside a wooden box. I think it looks wonderful and I might copy the look for a piece of gear or two.

Oddly, the wood is often less expensive than a lot of the aluminum cabinets. The problem is that it takes more labor to finish it correctly. The boiled linseed oil I love has to be applied once a day for a week then once a week for a month. Then it should be gently rubbed out with steel wool and waxed a few times. Considerably more work than aluminum.

Station wagons with vinyl woodgrain siding? That brings back more than a few memories. One of my highschool buddies had an old Chevy like that. And what a character - he has red curly hair, glasses and looks sorta like a stereotypical geek. But he's damned smart, funny and a thoroughly good guy. His parents gave him the wagon and there were many adventures in it. Drag racing, smoky burnouts, loading it full of squealing girls in the marching band, and occasionally "surfing" on top while driving around parking lots. I'm not sure how I lived through those years, not to mention the serious misbehavior in undergrad.

Anyway, my favorite stunt with the wagon involved its key. The wagon was so old and the key so worn that you could pull it out of the ignition while driving and it would still run. My friend used to pull out the key while driving along and hand it to whoever was riding shotgun.

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 27
There are a couple of really cool new pieces out there with wood. I was born in 1962 and in my early teens in 1976 when wood was at it's apex. The feel is there the look is grand. Maybe the use of wood in headphones will bring back a resurgence. People used to place things like burning candles and Jack Daniels bottles to add mood! HAHA
I feel aluminum may be a good heat sink with wood being an insulate. My Scott amp was missing the wood box but yes, those were the golden age of HI/FI. All those magazine adds showing mancaves with green shag carpet and dark wood amps.................................!

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:27 AM Post #9 of 27
I really like electronics with wood trim or, even better, wood cases. Especially dark, polished oak-type wood. I almost bought the Denon D5000 just because of the classy looking wood cups.

Wood trim on the sides of station wagons...not so much. I'm so glad it got phased out on cars.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #10 of 27

They are called WOODIES and someone here must remember that old Beachboys song Surf City.

Should have said Jan and Dean,who made it a hit.

Those were the days.

Sep 20, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #11 of 27

They are called WOODIES and someone here must remember that old Beachboys song Surf City.

Should have said Jan and Dean,who made it a hit.

Those were the days.

Of course I remember the days when having an old woody or vintage VW Thing with a surfboard in the back was a lot cooler than a megabuck German sedan.

Our middle-school teacher taught us how to do the Surfter Stomp and Dick Dale used to perform regularly around the beach cities.

And my father's yearbook is signed by Brian Wilson - they went to school together.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #12 of 27
Sep 21, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #14 of 27
My Father and Mother conceived me in 1961 in a Mercury Woody in a parking lot, while Dick Dale was playing guitar at the Rondavue Ballroom in Newport Beach California. A couple of years ago I told this to Dick Dale over the phone and all he could say was "Heavy". HAHA

Sep 21, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #15 of 27
agree with the wood trim looking great with audio devices..love the luxman D-38u and SQ-38u integrated amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back