Why DAP makers no longer make players with Replaceable Batteries (AA, D, 9V, etc.) in mind ?
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

gerelmx1986

Headphoneus Supremus
After having a dream I had a TopDAP that ran on 6 9V batteries. I wondered my self why there are no more DAP that feature replaceable batteries.

In 2005 I had a sony Walkman E107 that ran on a single AAA battery.

Are dry cell batteries incapable of delivering instantaneous current that DAC require ?
Is 9V too much Voltage?
Dry cell maybe dont have the mAh's of today's Lithium lons?
Or pure money convenience, the battery of your DAP dies , we're waiting with the arms open for your wallet

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 9
I have a portable Minidisc Recorder that runs off one AA NiMH battery. Those were the days.

I think lions do have huge power compared to alkaline or even NiMH but I think the reason is density. They can make a device very thin and light. And, when the battery dies, most people throw the device out and buy a new one. Those phone companies are not run by dummies.

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 9
I have a portable Minidisc Recorder that runs off one AA NiMH battery. Those were the days.

I think lions do have huge power compared to alkaline or even NiMH but I think the reason is density. They can make a device very thin and light. And, when the battery dies, most people throw the device out and buy a new one. Those phone companies are not run by dummies.
I had thought on that, that with Li-ions you can make super slim battery packs vs a round AAA cell

Sep 21, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #6 of 9
I've read posts from manufacturers' reps on here saying they want to make it easy for customers to replace the batteries but if that's the case, why don't they make them easily removable like camera batteries?
Especially sony , they make cameras, which have replaceable packs. Why not their walkman players, or the DMP-Z1?

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Two reasons in my opinion:

Has anyone seen the upgrade path that headfiers follow? How long do you think someone stays happy with a DAP and isn't tempted to buy the newest thing. I'm talking about 'most' not all headfiers. Simply put, product lifecycles are much shorter nowadays.

I'd bet the average time someone keeps a DAP is about a year. Batteries are bound to last that long - since battery tech has come a ways since nimh / nicad days and can complete hundreds/thousands of cycles before noticeable degradation is observed.

these two reasons alone can explain the shift to 'disposable' electronics.

Sep 21, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #8 of 9
Two reasons in my opinion:

Has anyone seen the upgrade path that headfiers follow? How long do you think someone stays happy with a DAP and isn't tempted to buy the newest thing. I'm talking about 'most' not all headfiers. Simply put, product lifecycles are much shorter nowadays.

I'd bet the average time someone keeps a DAP is about a year. Batteries are bound to last that long - since battery tech has come a ways since nimh / nicad days and can complete hundreds/thousands of cycles before noticeable degradation is observed.

these two reasons alone can explain the shift to 'disposable' electronics.
Are you saying that manufacturers are responding to our upgrade habits by making it more difficult to change batteries? That's a bit of a stretch IMO. I think it's very clear why they do it and it's designed to encourage such behaviour, it's not a response to such behaviour. All just my opinion of course.

Sep 22, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #9 of 9
I gave wikipedia a read about the common battery sizes.

The smaller the battery, the less mAh it can hold D and C holding the most buy they're big boys, making them impractical for a DAP if you want it slim. However 9V surprised me that it doesnt hold much mAh.

I know many modern DAP need more than 4000 mAh to have decent battery, especially high power ones like fiio M15 or kann cube.

However the li-ion used by sony in the WM1A/Z has roughly the same mAh of an AA (1800mAh) and it lasts me aprox 20 hours. We all know sont DAPs may be underpowered for cans like HD800 and the likes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back