Why can't I find a headphone that will finally replace my 6xx.
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

izzy2004

New Head-Fier
This is starting to piss me off. I bought...

Beyers 1770x GO
Argons
ZMF Aeolus
Hifiman Drop XX

All all them bleh hold nothing to the 6xx which can sound exceptionally clear, be very compfortable to wear, and produce a good thumping (yet slightly lacking) bass. All just with a portable Xduoo XD05Balanced + a phone with Viper4Android. Off topic but.. I am surpised I dont see V4A mentioned here more often this little module alone worth more than all my amps combined.

But back to topic. Can someone please suggest something for me there? I am about to buy a Susvara... Im not thinking straight anymore. I swear to god ill drop that 6k faster than I threw those muffled argons straight into the couch cushions in disgust. Included is a pic of the non portable setup I have which I never use. Sad. Any suggestions would be greatly and deeply appreciated.

Cheers.

b0d11bb9db.jpg

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #2 of 38
Hyland Audio Jupiter One.
Or if you want to go big, ZMF Varity Open (from what I've read, no personal experience there).

Finally... Maybe you just really like the 6XX? I've heard them a few times, my best friend has a pair. I was unimpressed, he loves them and doesn't understand why I have so much gear. It may be time to stop fighting yourself here.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 38
If you’re really used to a certain sound, anything new will sound like crap at first. Sounds to me like you need to cleanse your aural pallet of the 6xx. And you do that by listening to other headphones for extended periods. You can’t expect to switch to a new headphone and have it sound amazing right off the jump. That rarely happens for me. I have to adjust.

Hey at least you can still enjoy headphones. I’ve spent too much time with my 2 channel loudspeaker setup this summer and every headphone I own now is underwhelming.

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #4 of 38
Time to try out the Susvara, Solitaire, D8K, TC but don't forget the SR1a before moving into STAX territory.

Welcome to Head-Fi.

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 38
Stick with your HD6XX:)

..and no please do not buy the Susvara. The reason you are finding it difficult/impossible to dethrone the Sennheiser is because you are substituting it with cans that are not comparable sound signature wise. The Susvara has the classic planar magnetic mids ie very laidback - most especially compared to your Sennheiser (you will dig the Sundara more methinks).
ZMF often gets mentioned when fans of the classic 600/650/6XX talk about upgrading…but they’re not openbacks, they’re heavy and not in the vicinity of sounding as realistic nor as full in the midrange (neutral) as a classic Sennheiser.
If you want an ‘upgrade’ or merely to hear some other candidates, then I would look at something like the ATH-R70X, the Sundara or something like the Focal Elex/Clear. All headphones that, like the 6XX, gets the midrange right. Like ZMFs they all come with better bass extension..yet ultimately sound way more natural as well as being real open headphones:wink:

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 38
I had the same problem .. I do prefer my blackwood Aeolus over HD650 now. The sapale was a little too slow sounding for me. I had both at once much prefer the blackwood Aeolus. Not sure what you are looking for you can't fix what's not broken. Also better amps make HD650 better. I opted to get a used blackwood Aeolus and keep my mid priced amps instead of getting the $2000-$2800 amps for my HD6xx. Dna starlett and hd650 was end game for me though. Hopefully I can hear Aeolus out of that amp someday.

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #7 of 38
Stick with your HD6XX:)

..and no please do not buy the Susvara. The reason you are finding it difficult/impossible to dethrone the Sennheiser is because you are substituting it with cans that are not comparable sound signature wise. The Susvara has the classic planar magnetic mids ie very laidback - most especially compared to your Sennheiser (you will dig the Sundara more methinks).
ZMF often gets mentioned when fans of the classic 600/650/6XX talk about upgrading…but they’re not openbacks, they’re heavy and not in the vicinity of sounding as realistic nor as full in the midrange (neutral) as a classic Sennheiser.
If you want an ‘upgrade’ or merely to hear some other candidates, then I would look at something like the ATH-R70X, the Sundara or something like the Focal Elex/Clear. All headphones that, like the 6XX, gets the midrange right. Like ZMFs they all come with better bass extension..yet ultimately sound way more natural as well as being real open headphones:wink:
I know what you are referring to when you say they aren't exactly open backs... they don't sound realistic no and by god are they heavy. Once thing I really love about the 6xx and their cheap crappy plastic is just that. The glorious lightweight indestructible plastic. I was considering ordering a 800S from amazon just to try them out. Think I should try those? And Ill check out those ATHs. Focal Utopia is another I was considering however Elex/Clear are also right there.

Mostly since getting into the headphone cult I just feel like I could find something much better sounding than my good ol 200 dollar 6xx. I was hoping for something even more detailed and able to bring me joy with wub wubs as I like DnB on occasion. If I blow 3 grand on headphones they gots'ta sound better and Ill finally be content.... right?

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:51 AM Post #8 of 38
Time to try out the Susvara, Solitaire, D8K, TC but don't forget the SR1a before moving into STAX territory.

Welcome to Head-Fi.
Thank you. Its been about 2 months and the past month I find myself spending about 20 hours a week researching headphones and reading reviews. Always about to buy something yet next day compeletely changing my mind and finding a different "that's the one".

Oct 7, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 38
I had the same problem .. I do prefer my blackwood Aeolus over HD650 now. The sapale was a little too slow sounding for me. I had both at once much prefer the blackwood Aeolus. Not sure what you are looking for you can't fix what's not broken. Also better amps make HD650 better. I opted to get a used blackwood Aeolus and keep my mid priced amps instead of getting the $2000-$2800 amps for my HD6xx. Dna starlett and hd650 was end game for me though. Hopefully I can hear Aeolus out of that amp someday.
To be completely honest with you after I got that Felix Echo and Bifrost DAC. I don't notice much difference over my portable setup. Headphones are in my dreams now its all i think about. Brothers I think i am falling into the void.. the headfi side..

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #10 of 38
I know what you are referring to when you say they aren't exactly open backs... they don't sound realistic no and by god are they heavy. Once thing I really love about the 6xx and their cheap crappy plastic is just that. The glorious lightweight indestructible plastic. I was considering ordering a 800S from amazon just to try them out. Think I should try those? And Ill check out those ATHs. Focal Utopia is another I was considering however Elex/Clear are also right there.

Mostly since getting into the headphone cult I just feel like I could find something much better sounding than my good ol 200 dollar 6xx. I was hoping for something even more detailed and able to bring me joy with wub wubs as I like DnB on occasion. If I blow 3 grand on headphones they gots'ta sound better and Ill finally be content.... right?
Yes…but sadly no. It does make sense that moar money gets you better sound quality…but that is sadly not correct. Moar money gets you more weight, more luxurious materials like leather and metals…but ultimately doesn’t give you better sound.
The HD6XX is tuned realistically; it’s neutral with a bit of warmth. Another of it’s trademarks is it’s smooth treble performance. All the headphones you’ve listed actually all come with a poorer treble..especially the HD800S which sounds cold and clinical compared directly to the 6XX.
I’ve either owned or auditioned many of the headphones you are wondering about…and well there is a reason why I’ve stuck to my Sennheisers, my R70X and Sundara. It is not because I can’t afford a much pricier headphone…nahh it’s because I haven’t found anything that sounds better:)

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #11 of 38
Yes…but sadly no. It does make sense that moar money gets you better sound quality…but that is sadly not correct. Moar money gets you more weight, more luxurious materials like leather and metals…but ultimately doesn’t give you better sound.
The HD6XX is tuned realistically; it’s neutral with a bit of warmth. Another of it’s trademarks is it’s smooth treble performance. All the headphones you’ve listed actually all come with a poorer treble..especially the HD800S which sounds cold and clinical compared directly to the 6XX.
I’ve either owned or auditioned many of the headphones you are wondering about…and well there is a reason why I’ve stuck to my Sennheisers, my R70X and Sundara. It is not because I can’t afford a much pricier headphone…nahh it’s because I haven’t found anything that sounds better:)
You're a wise person and the cat picture on your avatar gets a thumbs up from me. Ill check out the R70x and Sundara. Ill just buy them both see whats what. Cheers!:gs1000smile:

Oct 7, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #13 of 38

Why can't I find a god damn headphone that will finally replace my 6xx.

This is starting to piss me off.
I bought...

Beyers 1770x GO
Argons
ZMF Aeolus
Hifiman Drop XX

All all them bleh hold nothing to the 6xx which can sound exceptionally clear, be very compfortable to wear, and produce a good thumping (yet slightly lacking) bass.

I haven't bothered replacing the HD600 I got back in 2010.

But back to topic. Can someone please suggest something for me there? I am about to buy a Susvara... Im not thinking straight anymore. I swear to god ill drop that 6k faster than I threw those muffled argons straight into the couch cushions in disgust. Included is a pic of the non portable setup I have which I never use. Sad. Any suggestions would be greatly and deeply appreciated.

Susvara is better from a technical standpoint but I seriously doubt it's what you're looking for.

Why is it so imperative to replace the HD6XX anyway? I mean the Focal Utopias were nice, but it wasn't 10X the price I paid for the HD600 nice, unless I won the lottery or something (then again if I won the lottery I'd be buying a Stella Utopia, PassLabs XA160.8, and a house with a dedicated listening room, not a Utopia headphone).

Oct 7, 2021 at 2:02 AM Post #14 of 38
This is starting to piss me off. I bought...

Beyers 1770x GO
Argons
ZMF Aeolus
Hifiman Drop XX

All all them bleh hold nothing to the 6xx which can sound exceptionally clear, be very compfortable to wear, and produce a good thumping (yet slightly lacking) bass. All just with a portable Xduoo XD05Balanced + a phone with Viper4Android. Off topic but.. I am surpised I dont see V4A mentioned here more often this little module alone worth more than all my amps combined.

Cheers.

b0d11bb9db.jpg
That hp amplifier (a Feliks?) in the picture should be a good one to use with the HD6XX for ‘stationary’ versus ‘on-the-go’ listening, if you haven’t tried. HD6XX will be tremendous with an OTL tube hp amplifier. Let’s face it, you like the HD6XX for its sound and its build. Try giving the HD6XX some upgraded cables. As for finding a comparable build elsewhere, beyond the HD600 series, you will not. How many hps can you think of that have no screws? Be content. Money that you save by not going on the headphone ‘crusades’ can go towards music.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2021 at 2:03 AM Post #15 of 38
[duplicate deleted]

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back