Why can't I find a headphone that will finally replace my 6xx.
Oct 16, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #32 of 38
This is starting to piss me off. I bought...

Beyers 1770x GO
Argons
ZMF Aeolus
Hifiman Drop XX

All all them bleh hold nothing to the 6xx which can sound exceptionally clear, be very compfortable to wear, and produce a good thumping (yet slightly lacking) bass. All just with a portable Xduoo XD05Balanced + a phone with Viper4Android. Off topic but.. I am surpised I dont see V4A mentioned here more often this little module alone worth more than all my amps combined.

But back to topic. Can someone please suggest something for me there? I am about to buy a Susvara... Im not thinking straight anymore. I swear to god ill drop that 6k faster than I threw those muffled argons straight into the couch cushions in disgust. Included is a pic of the non portable setup I have which I never use. Sad. Any suggestions would be greatly and deeply appreciated.

Cheers.

b0d11bb9db.jpg

It sounds like you found the endgame headphone for you, I personally suggest simply sticking with the HD 650 and not worry about other headphones unless you may want a different sound signature to compliment them. I wouldn't worry about trying to find a replacement/upgrade to them.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #33 of 38
Thank you. You convinced me to try them. I recently got the LCD-X but after a day of listening im returning them. Honestly even with good eq wizardry they sound identical to my hd6xx but with a lot less bass.

Oh good - one thing I will say is the 800S take a few moments to reveal their party trick(s) (at least for me). When I first heard them, I tried to understand all they had to offer but it has taken several hundred songs for me to appreciate all of the capability these 'phones have...

Happy listening :)

p.s. - some song recommendations to get you started:
  • Feel [feat. Lianne La Havas] by Jacob Collier
  • Your Power by Billie Eilish
  • Resynthesis 3D by Max Cooper (this one will show you the soundstage)

Oct 19, 2021 at 12:32 AM Post #34 of 38
This is starting to piss me off. I bought...

Beyers 1770x GO
Argons
ZMF Aeolus
Hifiman Drop XX

All all them bleh hold nothing to the 6xx which can sound exceptionally clear, be very compfortable to wear, and produce a good thumping (yet slightly lacking) bass. All just with a portable Xduoo XD05Balanced + a phone with Viper4Android. Off topic but.. I am surpised I dont see V4A mentioned here more often this little module alone worth more than all my amps combined.

But back to topic. Can someone please suggest something for me there? I am about to buy a Susvara... Im not thinking straight anymore. I swear to god ill drop that 6k faster than I threw those muffled argons straight into the couch cushions in disgust. Included is a pic of the non portable setup I have which I never use. Sad. Any suggestions would be greatly and deeply appreciated.

Cheers.

b0d11bb9db.jpg

From what I can tell it's actually quite simple - no need to get angry :)

- If money is no factor to consider: just continue to buy new headphones blind and "try and error" until you find one you like better - at some point you will eventually find one and if not it might still be an interesting journey. There are lots of options - a TOTL STAX or any other Electrostat, some Abyss headphone, the Susvara - all headphones I can recommend.

- If money is a factor to consider: find ways to test the headphones before you buy them - for example test them in a shop. If the next suitable shop is far away combine the visit with a city trip for example.

- Middle way: Buy used headphones and sell them again if you don't like them.

- What doesn't work well: Buying headphones depending on other people's recommendation. We just hear all to different, have different preferences, different gear that causes different synergy etc. etc.

Best of luck :)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #35 of 38
From what I can tell it's actually quite simple - no need to get angry :)

- If money is no factor to consider: just continue to buy new headphones blind and "try and error" until you find one you like better - at some point you will eventually find one and if not it might still be an interesting journey. There are lots of options - a TOTL STAX or any other Electrostat, some Abyss headphone, the Susvara - all headphones I can recommend.

- If money is a factor to consider: find ways to test the headphones before you buy them - for example test them in a shop. If the next suitable shop is far away combine the visit with a city trip for example.

- Middle way: Buy used headphones and sell them again if you don't like them.

- What doesn't work well: Buying headphones depending on other people's recommendation. We just hear all to different, have different preferences, different gear that causes different synergy etc. etc.

Best of luck :)
Yes this is basically what my mindset has become. And its not like im keeping them all, I plan on getting around to telling them... any day now... But they do look all nice lined up on their headphone racks... :)

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #36 of 38
Oh good - one thing I will say is the 800S take a few moments to reveal their party trick(s) (at least for me). When I first heard them, I tried to understand all they had to offer but it has taken several hundred songs for me to appreciate all of the capability these 'phones have...

Happy listening :)

p.s. - some song recommendations to get you started:
  • Feel [feat. Lianne La Havas] by Jacob Collier
  • Your Power by Billie Eilish
  • Resynthesis 3D by Max Cooper (this one will show you the soundstage)
Thanks Nate, ill check those song out. I have delayed my 800S purchase as this amazon sale for 300 bucks off randomly dissapeared as I was about to get them. And somehow afterwards I managed to convince myself to buy a pair of 2000 dollar IEMS.. maybe just out of sheer curiosity. Ill let you know what a pair of 2k earbuds sound like haha. Feels so silly paying that much for a cellphone accessory.

Oct 21, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #37 of 38
I'm basically in the same position as you're in right now.

I have a HD580 which I deeply enjoy listening to... but then there are times where I dream of deeper bass extension and a larger soundstage.

It is at these moments (of weakness?) that I go online and do the same running around in circles as the many times before.

Talking to myself along the lines of "No, I don't want the Beyer peek, been there, done that"
"I want build quality and replaceable parts, so brand X or Y is out of the equation" and "I don't want to sell my firstborn for a freakin headphone".

So yes, highly relatable post and I think alot of folks here are right in pointing out that we may very well just be happy with what we got. Accept it and move on (to greater things?). I mean, I suppose it would be a tad ironic to write that life's too short to be chasing headphones on this here website, but really; If you're done, you're done.

EDIT: we're not quite in the same position though, as I'm in the process of scaling down. Just sold a €400 headphone amp, as I found that I am content with the headphone-output of a 70's vintage receiver I inherited from my dad. Also, I cannot for the life of me imagine spending 2K on earbuds :')

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2021 at 9:01 PM Post #38 of 38
Thanks Nate, ill check those song out. I have delayed my 800S purchase as this amazon sale for 300 bucks off randomly dissapeared as I was about to get them. And somehow afterwards I managed to convince myself to buy a pair of 2000 dollar IEMS.. maybe just out of sheer curiosity. Ill let you know what a pair of 2k earbuds sound like haha. Feels so silly paying that much for a cellphone accessory.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tsav’s-sennheiser-b-stock-sale-amazing-prices.960253/

5B2674C8-8968-49EB-8698-092B2A3497CC.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back