Why buy a Macbook?
Jun 24, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #346 of 431
Quote:
What, black?

I think he meant the LED lights, seeing as he apparently doesn't know how to disable them.
  That would be a pretty slick case without the LEDs, and there ARE nice PC cases.

Jun 24, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #347 of 431

Quote:
I find that an ironic comparison.  Honda as a company has better reliability than BMW, so it seems very contrary to your point.  BMW isn't even top ten.

LOL. that wasn't even close to my point. also, nobody buys a BMW for reliability reasons.

the point was you can piece together some garbage and get the same performance, or spend more money on something nicer that you can appreciate

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:08 AM Post #348 of 431
Quote:
LOL. that wasn't even close to my point. also, nobody buys a BMW for reliability reasons.

the point was you can piece together some garbage and get the same performance, or spend more money on something nicer that you can appreciate

Actually, BMW is one of the top ten in PERCEIVED reliability - so your random toss-away comment is actually false.

As for the "same performance" - it's usually substantially more, at a lower cost, and faster in applications even at the same.  I fail to see how that equates to garbage.

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #350 of 431
Quote:
It's garbage because it's not pretty.

Sad, but it seems like some people in this thread actually believe this.

For reference to those that believe PCs must be ugly:

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=141&cl_index=1&sc_index=38&ss_index=96

Hey, that model even looks like a Mac
tongue.gif

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #351 of 431
I really like the case I linked for the Mac Pro clone build I made.

http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=51277
http://ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=51278

Beautiful, sleek, and elegant.  Black/Silver.  It had a door for the CD drive(s), but, how often are you seeing yourself opening the CD drive, vs plugging in a USB drive?

Jun 24, 2010 at 1:44 AM Post #352 of 431
Quote:

If you are talking about a computer that "just works" you shouldn't compare it to a car that needs to be traded in every 4 years when the free maintenance runs out.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:03 AM Post #353 of 431
Jun 24, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #354 of 431
Quote:
read the thread title. "why buy a macbook", not "why buy a mac pro". I'm glad you're arguing on topic here.

A lot of people have been blurring the lines, so what?

I like the stylings of the Sony high-end offerings, HP ENVY, ASUS G-Series, and Clevo products.  Usually decently made and good looking.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #355 of 431

Quote:
A lot of people have been blurring the lines, so what?

I like the stylings of the Sony high-end offerings, HP ENVY, ASUS G-Series, and Clevo products.  Usually decently made and good looking.

so that changes things.

to me, no, a mac pro desktop is not worth the price premium. but a macbook pro is.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #356 of 431
I perfectly understand what he means when he says PCs are ugly, out of all Silverstone, Lian Li, Antec an Coolermaster there are only 2 or 3 enclosures that don't look like bland or like a geeky guy's wet dream.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #357 of 431
Quote:
so that changes things.

to me, no, a mac pro desktop is not worth the price premium. but a macbook pro is.

In theory, both of them ended up being ~$1500 off the price of a similar PC build.

One interesting thing is that I'm not really fighting against Macs anymore.  It's clear that they have less of a markup on the mid-end machines, and that's where most people would buy.  IE: You probably aren't in the market for a MBP 17" i7 with 8gb of RAM.  You're in the market for one of the middle models, such as the MBP 15" i5 with 4gb of RAM, which is a nicer price compared to PC alternatives.  If I was in the market for that level of performance, that's what I'd get.  But for top end/productivity machines, unless you're doing video editting which OSX software/hardware acceleration excels at, it's not at all worth it.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #358 of 431
Quote:
I perfectly understand what he means when he says PCs are ugly, out of all Silverstone, Lian Li, Antec an Coolermaster there are only 2 or 3 enclosures that don't look like bland or like a geeky guy's wet dream.

Heh.  I used to love those crazy cases.  I had this one when I was 17, but in a dark blue.

http://www.akcom.net/index3.php?prodid=4165&catcode=6&subcatcode=3

Now I prefer sleek cases, such as the Fractual Design, or the 300 Mid-Tower.

Jun 24, 2010 at 2:51 AM Post #359 of 431
I just installed Kubuntu and Ubuntu on two separate flash drives. They both run great. I would put OS X on a flash drive, but since Apple's driver support is non-existent it would be a waste of time, even Linux has better support than OS X and it's free. I might do it for laughs when I finish this 5 week summer session in two weeks.

8 GB flash drive = $20
Copy of OS X = $30
Seeing the reaction on everyone's face when you tell you them you have a $50 Mac = Priceless

By the way CSS (Counter Strike Source) is on PC and Mac for $6.80 today on Steam if anyone is interested. Noobs/Mac Users welcome. Hardcore PC gamers, well you've been playing CSS since 2004 so go ahead and beat the Mac users senseless. It will be like stat-padding except legit.

7H3 L457 H0P3

Jun 24, 2010 at 3:02 AM Post #360 of 431
I've done that before.  I went into class with my Gateway, and just booted up OSX.  Had a LOT of people confused.  <_<

Users who are viewing this thread

Back