Why bother getting a CD player when..
Jan 30, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #32 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonathanjong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this with the Remote app? Can an old Touch do this?

Yes, and yes. Plus, remote is free. It is manna from heaven.

Jan 30, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #33 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All music that goes through a computer is ruined.

Oh noes! All digital reproduction devices are computers!

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #34 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolida302 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All music that goes through a computer is ruined.

Care to go into anymore detail on this?

I'm a huge endorser of EAC ripped FLAC files, and I've got about 1200 FLAC albums, most ripped perfectly... but what is inherent about the computer that destroys the music? Isn't it just the data on the CD? And then that data is sent to my EMU 0404... where would the ruination come in?

Nothing beats the ease of use of computers, sorting through my entire music collection with all included artwork makes it really easy to find what i want and see what i even have.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #35 of 207
There isn't a single good reason to NOT have a media server or some kind of computer source.

You can make an airless PC or get fans that run less than 10 dB of air. Sound problem gone. CPU chips are getting smaller all the time (45 nm or even less in some cases now), which means less heat, so you can run a decent dual or quad core system this way.

You can get a highly rated PSU, a high quality sound card with bit perfect digital out, a great external DAC if you require one in addition to your sound card, and voila. If you don't want a better sound card, you can run all the way up to the Benchmark DAC1 if you need to for a USB DAC. All you have left now is the ridiculous "tactile" argument, which is fine I guess if you need that sort of thing.

Anyone not using a computer as some kind of source is simply living in the past. Your CDs were mastered on a computer. Your CD player is digital. It's all digital in the end and you're only clinging to what you know with the technology available today.

Now, if you're using vinyl you actually have a reason why you're not using a computer. You should still be encoding that vinyl to some kind of lossless format (on a computer) if you're smart. Vinyl won't last forever.

Also, 1 TB external USB HDDs are $130 now (or less). Internals are $100. You can afford the storage necessary to store all your CDs in lossless if you're in this hobby with any seriousness.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #36 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, 1 TB external USB HDDs are $130 now (or less). Internals are $100. You can afford the storage necessary to store all your CDs in lossless if you're in this hobby with any seriousness.

Really? Who makes them? Seagate? I think WD just made a 2TB one for $300 so I was wondering if I missed the boat on a 1TB one. Time to newegg.

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #38 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geruvah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? Who makes them? Seagate? I think WD just made a 2TB one for $300 so I was wondering if I missed the boat on a 1TB one. Time to newegg.

I lied. $115 for an external MyBook 1 TB with free shipping, no tax from the first high-rated online seller.

Western Digital 1TB My Book Essential 2.0 - USB 2.0 External Hard Drive | BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore

Internal, $95 WD Caviar.

WD GP 1TB Internal Hard Drive - CompUPlus Direct

Jan 30, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #39 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When your hdd broke you'll find a good reason to use cd player.

This is why you have backups. Storage is cheap, after all.

Also, "when your CDs get scratched and/or the CD's life reaches its end (data fade, basically), you'll be sad you stuck with CD players."

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #41 of 207
Granted, I never had a hi-fi CD player, although I believe I had a decent mid-fi one for many years (Rotel RCD-970bx), but when I finally made the switch to a dedicated music PC playing wave files ripped with EAC... EVERYTHING sounded better. Plus, the convenience of controlling everything through Bluetooth using a phone is just... well... freakin' amazing.
biggrin.gif

I will never go back. Ever.

Oh, P.S.
I should note that for a period of several months, I was using a Trends UD-10.1 USB transport, and I often A/B-ed between using the Rotel as a transport to DACs and the PC/Trends combo as a transport... and every time, the PC came out the winner.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #42 of 207
Quote:

Originally Posted by Taikero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lied. $115 for an external MyBook 1 TB with free shipping, no tax from the first high-rated online seller.

Western Digital 1TB My Book Essential 2.0 - USB 2.0 External Hard Drive | BuyDig.com, The Internet's Digital Superstore

Internal, $95 WD Caviar.

WD GP 1TB Internal Hard Drive - CompUPlus Direct

Tiger Direct - Hitachi Deskstar 1TB drive, $89.99. ($99.99 w/$10 rebate)

Hitachi 7K1000.B Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200RPM, 16MB, SATA-300, OEM 0A38016 at TigerDirect.com

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #43 of 207
my wife is my computer audio and my mistress is my CD format

i like them both and swap betweeen them, IMHO, you cant beat that physical loading of that silver disc into a gullwing lid and puck!

not as handy for quick switching, but nice for a more refined session of hearing one album out, i have a tendency to track/album skip with computer audio and end up missing so much of what an album has to offer

the CD ensures i pay homage to the artist with a bit more longevity and loyalty.

L3000.gif

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #44 of 207
Quote:

I have a tendency to track/album skip with computer audio and end up missing so much of what an album has to offer

This is one reason I tend to prefer CD/SACD. Over and above the tactile nature of loading a CD, reading the insert etc., with computer-as-source I tend to
a) listen to songs rather than albums. Neat for cherry picking, but you don't get the full message an artist is conveying when listening all the way through. Many songs get no airtime.
b) moving from song to song quickly, not listening all the way through. Analogous to sitting in front of a TV and channel flipping.

Jan 30, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #45 of 207

Users who are viewing this thread

Back