Why bose doesn't suck that much.
Jul 29, 2011 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pogodrummer

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so i've been reading a lot of bose bashing threads here and there, and i just don't think that's right.
I mean, you can say "the acoustimass series sucks", or "the AE2s suck", and we could discuss on why and what's wrong, and ultimately i'd probably agree. 
But bashing of a brand is a bit too far, especially when said brand actually has some good products.
Of course, if we were talking about monster, i'd agree with all myself, because monster has no good products, and markets their as "audiophile-grade.
Now, as i said, i agree that some bose products suck, and pretty much all are overpriced.
i think the acoustimass HT systems, the lifestyle systems, companion 3 & 5, wave and soundwave systems and sounddock10 bose products are all average sounding and substandard quality if you see their price.
However, some of their products don't suck.
i'll start with a crazy overpriced product: the bose musicmonitors. They are the smallest computer speakers i have ever seen, but they sound AMAZING. If you hear them for the first time, you'll say "they must have a sub somewhere", but they don't.
Of course, they use a lot of DSP processing, but in the end they sound a lot bigger than they should, and i see the applications of these, like someone who likes to take good sound with him anywhere he goes, or someone who would like to watch movies on his laptop in a hotel room or something like that. Yes, they cost a lot, but no other speaker offers this portability & sound.
The second product i really like are the QC15 noise cancelling headphones.  I agree, they aren't spectacular sounding, but the noise cancellation on these is just soo good... They really sound weird, because you can't even hear your own voice ;P
I mean, they are fantastic for travelers, and compared to some other NC headphones, they even cost less!.
So now it's not the price, it's the name, and anything bose does is bashed in this community.
The third product i want to talk about are the bose 901.
The 901 is a spectacular speaker, of course, i would not pay 2700€ for a new series 6 pair, but you can buy older series, like series 2 and 3, for about 250 dollars (used ones).
They sound just so natural and "in your chest", almost like hearing a live concert.
I'm sorry, i am kinda drunk these days and i can't connect well my words, so i believe what i have written up here is a pain in the *** to read, so yeah, sorry about that.
The only thing i wanted to tell is that i don't believe bose bashing is correct, because ultimately you can buy good things from them.

Jul 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #2 of 14

Quote:

The 901 is a spectacular speaker, of course, i would not pay 2700€ for a new series 6 pair, but you can buy older series, like series 2 and 3, for about 250 dollars (used ones).

I'm not spending that much time on this forum, but I think I'm right when I say that the community bashes Bose because of the price. You can get better for about 1/3th of the price, or in your example 1/10th of the price. Then how is a €2700,- worth it? The fact they ask that much for what they give is not worth it, but I think IMO the worst part is where they classify themself as the best. I have to admit, there marketing strategies are wonderfull.
If you like the sound coming out of their products thats fine, but the competition is just as good (quality wise) for a much cheaper price. You just need to know where to look, and thats where Head-fi and its community steps in.

Anyone can figure this out, no need for this thread really. You basically answered your own question.

U= ''Why do you bash Bose so much?''
Me= ''They're overpriced.''

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:12 AM Post #3 of 14
You may read negative words here only because their headphones break with normal use. The speakers may last longer. Their headphones have a fun sound but many in this community are looking for a more truthful sound from a headphone. There is nothing wrong with being a big company like Bose, but many here see them as just over marketing 2nd rate products with a lesser value than is readily for sale from other manufacturers.

There home entertainment units are pretty to look at, Wifes let them in the house, but they are expensive and are not the best bang for the buck. Upon closer inspection they are cheeply made but well designed and well marketed. If people are happy with them, that's great.

Most people here would be unemotional but when you make an expensive purchase and find out later that it's junk then resentment starts.
biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:

I'm not spending that much time on this forum, but I think I'm right when I say that the community bashes Bose because of the price. You can get better for about 1/3th of the price, or in your example 1/10th of the price. Then how is a €2700,- worth it? The fact they ask that much for what they give is not worth it, but I think IMO the worst part is where they classify themself as the best. I have to admit, there marketing strategies are wonderfull.
If you like the sound coming out of their products thats fine, but the competition is just as good (quality wise) for a much cheaper price. You just need to know where to look, and thats where Head-fi and its community steps in.

Anyone can figure this out, no need for this thread really. You basically answered your own question.

U= ''Why do you bash Bose so much?''
Me= ''They're overpriced.''

Yes i know, i am an audiophile myself, and i know what good speakers and headphones sound like, and yes, i agree, with 2700€ you could build yourself a fantastic source+speakers+amp combo.
The fact is that some of their products don't suck that much to me, because they are intended for one type of person.
About the 901, i know, marketing and stuff, but my friend uses a pair of 901s series 2 as midfields in his studio, along with his genelecs, dynaudios and jbls.
what i'm saying is: if i didn't already have the qc15s, i'd go and buy a pair, because to me they are good :)

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
You may read negative words here only because their headphones break with normal use. The speakers may last longer. Their headphones have a fun sound but many in this community are looking for a more truthful sound from a headphone. There is nothing wrong with being a big company like Bose, but many here see them as just over marketing 2nd rate products with a lesser value than is readily for sale from other manufacturers.

There home entertainment units are pretty to look at, Wifes let them in the house, but they are expensive and are not the best bang for the buck. Upon closer inspection they are cheeply made but well designed and well marketed. If people are happy with them, that's great.

Most people here would be unemotional but when you make an expensive purchase and find out later that it's junk then resentment starts.
biggrin.gif

yeah i know, i actually bought a companion 3 system, and boy was i disappoint... I also tried to convince my mum to have myself rebuilding the HT system, but she chose bose instead. because it looks cleaner.
I think bose wasn't that marketed like 10 yrs ago, but now they want to hop on the same train Bang&Oluf$en took, and no i don't like that.

Aug 5, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #6 of 14
I bash bose for the price and the quality. Their focus is producing loud sound with small speakers and noise isolation, both concepts distort sound quality. And theyre severely overpriced. All in all, from an audiophiles point of view theyre trash and from a smart consumer's point of view, theyre trash.

I will say that if you strip the price, they are OKAY speakers, but once you slap on that ridiculous pricing its almost like a marketing scam.

Aug 5, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #7 of 14
Bose does not have any good products.

Have you actually seen the measurements of their speakers? The 901 doesn't even bother to cover the entire frequency range. Not that it could with those cheap paper speakers.

Bose pimps the midbass because average consumers think strong midbass equals good bass. Bose also boosts the treble a bit to fool people into thinking there's detail.

Actually, most consumer-grade stuff does this. But most consumer-grade stuff doesn't use such cheap parts, demand a premium price and pretend to be audiophile quality. What makes Bose truly loathesome is that they know they're charging luxury prices for the cheapest possible product. Even worse, Bose has the engineering, capital, manufacturing capability, resources, marketing, and distribution channels to produce a superior product for less than any audiophile product. If Bose wanted, they could dominate high-end audio and crush boutique manufacturers.

That is why Bose sucks.

They choose to market plastic boxes to SUV-driving soccer moms. And, yes, women are the ones they sell to because women generally make decorating choices at home. The pitch is to men, but the products are designed to fit decorating schemes. Just ask any woman you know if she'd rather have a 3" box or five foot tall floorstanders. You will understand immediately. And, no, sound quality does not figure into this equation.

If you haven't heard good speakers, I highly recommend doing so. You'll understand why Bose sounds so muddy, awful and unbalanced. Oh, and don't get suckered by the faux-dipole radiation of the 901. Try a real dipole, like various electrostats or planars. You'll get a new understanding of how speakers are supposed to sound.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #8 of 14
I don't like Bose because it poses as the Apex when it is actually the Nadir.  Uncle Erik, as usual, nails the issue.  Bose is the antichrist of audio.

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:10 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:

Have you actually seen the measurements of their speakers? The 901 doesn't even bother to cover the entire frequency range. Not that it could with those cheap paper speakers.

Bose pimps the midbass because average consumers think strong midbass equals good bass. Bose also boosts the treble a bit to fool people into thinking there's detail.

Actually, most consumer-grade stuff does this. But most consumer-grade stuff doesn't use such cheap parts, demand a premium price and pretend to be audiophile quality. What makes Bose truly loathesome is that they know they're charging luxury prices for the cheapest possible product. Even worse, Bose has the engineering, capital, manufacturing capability, resources, marketing, and distribution channels to produce a superior product for less than any audiophile product. If Bose wanted, they could dominate high-end audio and crush boutique manufacturers.

That is why Bose sucks.

They choose to market plastic boxes to SUV-driving soccer moms. And, yes, women are the ones they sell to because women generally make decorating choices at home. The pitch is to men, but the products are designed to fit decorating schemes. Just ask any woman you know if she'd rather have a 3" box or five foot tall floorstanders. You will understand immediately. And, no, sound quality does not figure into this equation.

If you haven't heard good speakers, I highly recommend doing so. You'll understand why Bose sounds so muddy, awful and unbalanced. Oh, and don't get suckered by the faux-dipole radiation of the 901. Try a real dipole, like various electrostats or planars. You'll get a new understanding of how speakers are supposed to sound.

of course i have heard good speakers, i have some b&w 704s and some other speakers, have heard stats and many other good speakers, including the diamond 800 and the  La sphère.
And i really like the 901s. Not for detail, not for realism, not for top-notch bismuth-plated krypton voice coils, but for the overall natural sound they have.
And my mum's not a suv-soccer-mum thing, she actually appreciates good sound.
Now i'm not telling the acoustimass we have at home has good sound, it in fact sucks, but i just can't say the same about the 901s, because they sound good to me.
Isn't audio a bit subjective too? :)

Aug 6, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:

That is why Bose sucks.

I'm with you except for their noise cancelling cans which, and I don't how or why, don't actually suck though are also a bit overpriced. The rest of their cheating physics designs are absolutely worthless IMHO. A pair of Audio Engine A2s is better than any of their computer speakers too. Maybe all of their speakers, including 901s LOL. OMG, 8 in the back and one in the front? I'd rather play the music than the wall and recreate a sound rather than create one.

Aug 6, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #11 of 14
Well, my old Triports really aren't that bad.  To me, they don't have any significant weaknesses, and sound quite good...they do have a bit of "mud" to them, and build quality is pretty cheap, but they're definitely not worthy of all the hate they get.  Still, you can do better in the price range, so they're not really recommended either way.  But I got them as a gift so I can't really complain.

Dunno about their speakers though.  My brother has a pair of their low-end Companion speakers and it's pretty much just a big fart cannon of bass.  They literally feel like a little fan when you put your hand up close to them.  The highs are harsh and everything is muddied up by the excessive bass.

My dad has a pair of 301 MKIV bookshelf speakers.  They're not that bad, I guess, but considering the price, they're not great.  My Senn HD595 and VSonic GR07 both definitely sound nicer, with less "mud" and more music.  All of the frequencies kind of meld together.

It is kind of amazing, though, how Bose manages to make things sound even this good using such cheap parts and construction.  They have a huge R&D team, for sure, and I swear, all they do is find the most dirt-cheap possible materials and try to make them sound as good as they possibly can.  Definitely not what an audiophile company normally does...but then, Bose isn't an audiophile company.

Aug 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #12 of 14
I don't like bose because they neglect any form of intellect. I press the play button on a demo of one of their 600euro ipod docks ones.
There was this narrator saying: "listen how real the trombone sounds" while it sounded absolutely like rubbish. That basically saying:
this devices costs 600euro and we have an huge research team that invents lots of cool sounding technology and we have this very
convincing narrator saying it sounds good so for you not to like it is ****ing stupid. That was pretty traumatic for me but there is more:
I also have to put up with people looking at my Sennheiser HD448's (which I use on the move and aren't the best headphones of course) telling me:
you have got to listen to my bose 300euro headphones those really sound amazing! Eventually it got me so frustrated I went to the
apple store to try some and they all sounded extremely bad. Personally, IMHO, I think the ipod earbuds are more neutral.
I find it hard to cope with ignorant people mocking about my headphones, acting like I am dumb, because they got bose backing them up.
Bose doesn't take responsibility for the people who believe their nonsense
biggrin.gif

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #14 of 14

Quote:
The third product i want to talk about are the bose 901.
The 901 is a spectacular speaker,

NO. IT. IS. NOT.

The 901 is a joke my friend, and a sick one. Several $500 level monitors from reputable speaker manufacturers will eat its lunch, and you could make a better sounding kit speaker for probably under $300. The idea of what the 901 is trying to do is not necessarily wrong (multiple full-range drivers with a soundstage enhancing radiation pattern) but the execution is typical Bose (cheap crap). Listen to the Audience ClairAudient 4+4, and then tell me how "spectacular" you think the 901 is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back