Why Balanced Headphone Amps?
Jun 11, 2012 at 3:06 AM Post #76 of 131
I have a family member that is currently on my account at the same time as me (I didn't know that you could do that) and he is posting crap that I would never say. He just said "boy do i hate audiophiles" and I had to edit it to say this. I sure hope he doesn't get me banned.

Jun 11, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #77 of 131
Quote:
I have a family member that is currently on my account at the same time as me (I didn't know that you could do that) and he is posting crap that I would never say. He just said "boy do i hate audiophiles" and I had to edit it to say this. I sure hope he doesn't get me banned.

Strange he picked a thread over a year old to pounce on.
Wouldn't mind some new legit activity here :)

Jul 15, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #78 of 131
I love going through old threads and learning a bit. 

Dec 12, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #80 of 131
Quote:
So what's the conclusion? Balanced amp is a troll?

That was my original question...

I feel that no benefit was demonstrated for the amps that are usually referred to as balanced but which are really comprised of two separate amps per channel in a push-pull configuration, beyond a possible small benefit of eliminating the shared common, which can also be done with an "unbalanced" amp. True balanced amps, which are differential from input to output, are another story, but these are rare in the industry.

Others of course disagree
wink_face.gif

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:00 AM Post #81 of 131
Sounds flip floppy. So does this mean you don't feel bridged amps have benefits, while differential amps do?

Dec 13, 2012 at 3:59 PM Post #82 of 131
Quote:
Sounds flip floppy. So does this mean you don't feel bridged amps have benefits, while differential amps do?

Not flip floppy at all and the answer is yes.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #83 of 131
Quote:
Not flip floppy at all and the answer is yes.

Care to share exactly what benefits an differential amp offers from bridged?

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #84 of 131
Quote:
Care to share exactly what benefits an differential amp offers from bridged?

Reading through the thread would yield this in extensive detail as a number of people contributed data.
To summarize, differential cancels out noise presented at the inputs if you are using a balanced source. Bridged does a poor job of this because perfect matching of the two amps is impossible and it introduces additional artifacts, again due to the same matching challenge.
When using an unbalanced input then you don't get noise cancelling benefits from differential but you do still get the artifacts issue from the bridged configuration.
The difference in this area is quite small and whether it makes any practical difference could be debated.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #85 of 131
Quote:
Reading through the thread would yield this in extensive detail as a number of people contributed data.
To summarize, differential cancels out noise presented at the inputs if you are using a balanced source. Bridged does a poor job of this because perfect matching of the two amps is impossible and it introduces additional artifacts, again due to the same matching challenge.
When using an unbalanced input then you don't get noise cancelling benefits from differential but you do still get the artifacts issue from the bridged configuration.
The difference in this area is quite small and whether it makes any practical difference could be debated.

I have.

I should have been more specific. I understand bridged doesn't offer any common-mode rejection.

I was referring to other benefits.

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #86 of 131
Quote:
I have.

I should have been more specific. I understand bridged doesn't offer any common-mode rejection.

I was referring to other benefits.

Common mode rejection is basically it IMO.

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:13 PM Post #88 of 131
Quote:
Which is pretty important, kinda. :)

Even that has been debated. Assuming you have a balanced source, people have commented that this is really only significant for long cable runs. I don't pretend to have enough background to comment on that specific claim.

Dec 14, 2012 at 8:26 PM Post #89 of 131
Quote:
Even that has been debated. Assuming you have a balanced source, people have commented that this is really only significant for long cable runs. I don't pretend to have enough background to comment on that specific claim.

True. OTOH some find balanced to sound better. Hard to discredit someone's preferences.

Dec 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #90 of 131
Quote:
True. OTOH some find balanced to sound better. Hard to discredit someone's preferences.

Even there it is difficult if not impossible to remove the variables. You would need to have a 'balanced' amp and one that wasn't that were as close as possible to being identical in topology and specifications and this is challenging to say the least. Generally speaking, what people are saying is this 'balanced' amp is better than that conventional one which says nothing about the topology.

I suspect that much of the perceived benefits of 'balanced' is in the connector which eliminates the common ground lead, and not in the actual topology, yet you seldom hear of someone using that configuration with a conventional amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back