Why Balanced Headphone Amps?
Sep 28, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #121 of 131
  CMRR/crosstalk are the only benefits to balanced yet you can tie the grounds and use a 4-pin connector making the often more expensive balanced moot.

This has been mentioned a few times here, but I still don't get it: if you're tying the two SE amps' grounds together aren't you simply creating the same common mode you set out to get rid of? Or where exactly are you connecting them as opposed to the normal configuration and why does that change anything?

Oct 26, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #122 of 131
This may be of help to readers with only basic knowledge of electric circuits in making sense of some of the things discussed on this topic: a detailed explanation of the impedances involved in a regular output jack connection, how they create crosstalk and how they can be limited, in the context of the Windows Vista WLP crosstalk requirements.
http://m.eet.com/media/1051349/C0438_edited.pdf

Feb 5, 2017 at 11:37 PM Post #123 of 131
As an aside my fantasy headphone rig would be a truly portable electrostatic setup (and not the in-ears once sold by Stax). This doesn't seem to be possible unfortunately.

I have Stax Lambda Pros and their smallest amp, running from a small 12V battery. It's fairly portable. The only thing stopping it being extremely portable is that it's not exactly physically robust.

Feb 6, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #124 of 131
Was reading this today and then found that
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better
Still don't seem to have a definitive answer for myself.

Feb 7, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #125 of 131
Was reading this today and then found that
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/audio-myth-balanced-headphone-outputs-are-better
Still don't seem to have a definitive answer for myself.

Good article. Basically you can create a good design with either topology, there is no inherent superiority to balanced.

Feb 7, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #126 of 131

Good article. Basically you can create a good design with either topology, there is no inherent superiority to balanced.

what about system matching? I've recently purchased Oppo PM-2 (still thinking about keeping PM-3) and am looking for an amplifier to do their justice. In many places I've read, these should be driven via balanced cable from a balanced amp. Is there anyone here, who has them PM-2 and can share an opinion?
I am also 3 inches short from buying Schiit Modi Multibit (instead of Chord Mojo) to superceed my Arcam irDAC. Would this change much in amp consideration?

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #127 of 131
One thing no one talks of but is a good advantage with balanced amps or dacs is power supply ripple noise rejection.

Basically a balanced operation when done right gives the same advantages as a big beefy power supply.

Feb 12, 2017 at 10:34 PM Post #128 of 131
One thing no one talks of but is a good advantage with balanced amps or dacs is power supply ripple noise rejection.

Basically a balanced operation when done right gives the same advantages as a big beefy power supply.

I don't buy it. Looking at a few high quality amps, I see no difference in specified noise between their balanced and unbalanced outputs, with SNR around -105dB. This is 9dB better than red book dynamic range. There is no way power supply ripple should be audible in any good amplifier design. Depending on your amplifier topology to compensate for poor supply design seems completely backwards to me, and considering how most balanced amps are constructed, unlikely to work in practice at any rate. If you can show measurements that indicate otherwise, would be happy to reconsider...

Feb 17, 2017 at 3:15 AM Post #129 of 131
(first page)
Someplace around here at least a year or more ago, I posted the genesis of balanced headphone amplifiers.  It was a brilliant business decision, allowing the company create a new product of higher performance from [more power] bridging the outputs from amplifier modules already on hand in stock without having to completely redesign.  If I can find it, I will provide a link.  
EDIT:
I think this is the most recent discussion...
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/497902/schiit-asgard-unboxing-and-first-impressions/675#post_6833387

It starts around there and rambles on for a number of pages.  Good luck!

Since headphones aren't balanced devices anyway, somewhere along the line you're going to have to go to single ended anyway.

The DAC I use most has a balanced output and a single ended output.  The balanced output is all SS where the SE output is 6922 driven.  Sonically, I much prefer the latter to the former.

I've got a balanced amp I'll sell you.

Yes, I think this thing took on a life of it's own and pretty soon companies started to realize they could sell more gear at higher profits if they made the gear "balanced."

If I'm running 400' of cable from one studio to another, I want a balanced line, but to go from DAC to headamp 1m away, it's a wasted effort, and doubly so if I'm driving an unbalanced device like a speaker or headphone.

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #130 of 131
I don't buy it. Looking at a few high quality amps, I see no difference in specified noise between their balanced and unbalanced outputs, with SNR around -105dB. This is 9dB better than red book dynamic range. There is no way power supply ripple should be audible in any good amplifier design. Depending on your amplifier topology to compensate for poor supply design seems completely backwards to me, and considering how most balanced amps are constructed, unlikely to work in practice at any rate. If you can show measurements that indicate otherwise, would be happy to reconsider...

All very theoretical. It falls under common mode noise rejection from the power side.

I am quite happy with my single ended units.

Feb 20, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #131 of 131
  what about system matching? I've recently purchased Oppo PM-2 (still thinking about keeping PM-3) and am looking for an amplifier to do their justice. In many places I've read, these should be driven via balanced cable from a balanced amp. Is there anyone here, who has them PM-2 and can share an opinion?
I am also 3 inches short from buying Schiit Modi Multibit (instead of Chord Mojo) to superceed my Arcam irDAC. Would this change much in amp consideration?

Has anyone any experience with Oppo PM-2 and M-Stage HPA-3B? Or has anyone used Mimby and HPA-3B together? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back