Why ATH-M50??
May 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #46 of 54
Quote:

I haven't heard them, but the M80s look closer to the M-50s than the M-100 based the the charts at headphone.com , but the M50s still win. If you are using well encoded music, the M50s should sound more airy and detailed in the treble region.

How about detail? The one time I was able to demo the m50, I was less than blown away by the detail I was able to perceive.  

May 27, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #47 of 54
I haven't heard them, but the M80s look closer to the M-50s than the M-100 based the the charts at headphone.com , but the M50s still win. If you are using well encoded music, the M50s should sound more airy and detailed in the treble region.

Charts only tell part of the story. I remember the CVO of V-MODA saying he made a headphone prototype that measured almost perfectly flat and it sounded terrible. The graphs for the M-100 make it look a lot bassier than it actually sounds. Only your ears can truly tell in the end.

May 27, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #50 of 54
Quote:
Ultrasone 780's, the custom one pros, or the vmoda lp2's. Someone please help. I listen to mainly rap music.

Replace the Ultrasone 780 with the 580. 

I have had all three at some point and have sold or returned each for different reasons. I too listen to rap music and was obviously led down the same path as you.

As for the sound quality, I still find myself wishing that I had kept the COPs. I found the VModa LPs a bit muddy and the Ultrasone S-Logic 'technology' to be a bit too tinny. If there could ever be too much separation it would be in those cans. 

So, of the three, the COPs are a no-brainer for sound but it was the heft of the set that doomed them for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back