Why ATH-M50??
Jun 15, 2012 at 10:56 PM Post #31 of 54
Jun 16, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #32 of 54
The Q40 is an insanely good basshead can for the money. If style isn't your thing and you want to save some money over the V-Moda, it's the way to go. It also has more bass to boot.

Jun 16, 2012 at 7:51 AM Post #33 of 54
Quote:
I take that back. I hear the M-Audio Q40's Sound better + more bass. Can anyone Confirm this/ give opinion?

You should someone like RPGWizard. He has both the Q40 and the LP2. From memory, he has stated several times that the LP2 has more bass quantity than the Q40. Quality-wise, it's the exact opposite, but if it's more bass you want, the LP2 is one of the bassiest cans out there.

Take it from me, though, the bass presentation on the LP2 isn't very well done. It does sound very muddy at times. Unless you really need a lot of bass, you might be better off going with the Q40s.

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:56 AM Post #34 of 54
Are these headphones I should get an amp with? I would like to get the Fiio E11 but is that too much? Because I could just get the E6. Also, I'd like to thank everyone for their help. You all saved me from a couple of mistakes :p

Jun 16, 2012 at 11:38 AM Post #36 of 54
Personally i don't think you need an amp with any of these cans. If you wait for the M-100 on the other hand, that's a headphone that'll scale with amping. Also forget the E6, if you want an amp get a decent one. I'd go with the E11 again only if you really want an amp.

Jun 16, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #37 of 54
hmm...i think ill stick with the Q40's. I think I'd be taking a chance with the M-100's. I feel that the Q40's would be a headphone id keep even if it isnt what all the review said it is, seeing as im getting mine for 119.

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #38 of 54
If you still want to go V-Moda, the M80/V80 is miles better than the LP series sound-wise (Val Kolton found Head-Fi after the development of the original LP, but before the M80/V80 was released). The quality of the sound of the LP2 isn't near that of the M80/V80. Still, in terms of sound quality I'd choose the Q40.

May 27, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #39 of 54
Can someone recommend a pair of closed back headphones that are similar to the current M50 sound? I owned them a few weeks ago, but I returned them because they were too big and not good for portable use...I hated the heavy coiled cable. I think they sounded great though. I'm not a bass head, but I enjoy a full bodied sound with good upper mids and treble. The M50s almost perfect in that regard I just wish they were smaller.

May 27, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #40 of 54
Quote:
Can someone recommend a pair of closed back headphones that are similar to the current M50 sound? I owned them a few weeks ago, but I returned them because they were too big and not good for portable use...I hated the heavy coiled cable. I think they sounded great though. I'm not a bass head, but I enjoy a full bodied sound with good upper mids and treble. The M50s almost perfect in that regard I just wish they were smaller.

You could give the V-MODA M-100 a try. 60-day test drive policy, no questions asked. They fold up pretty small, have a similar sound, but with better sound stage and clarity, and have a tank-like build.

You can find my video review in my signature.

May 27, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #42 of 54
The M-80 has a flatter sound with a more forward midrange than both the M50 and the M-100. The latter two have a V-shaped frequency response. I believe the M50 has more sparkly highs than the M-100, but it's been a while since I've listened to the M50. One thing about the M-80 is that the treble rolls off and the highs aren't as pronounced. Bass impact on the M-80 hits harder in the mid-bass than the M-100 but isn't as layered and doesn't extend as deeply. If you're looking for something similar to the M50 than the M-100 fits better than the M-80 due to its deeper bass and sparkly highs. Overall clarity is better on both the V-MODAs.

May 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM Post #44 of 54
I've been reading up on the Vmodas and they appear to not really measure up with the M-50s as much as I'd like. Theres too much of a withdraw in the upper-mid to low-treble ranges for me. Also I disagree with the label of V-Shaped EQ sound signature. They are colored but more flat than most Audiophile-grade headphones. The V-Moda M100 don't even pass the 0db reference level past 300 hz. It looks more like a aim for neutrality, and the M50s do a better job still.

May 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #45 of 54
Quote:
How pronounced is the high freq roll-off on the m-80s? Is it something that would be noticeable to an un-trained set of ears?

I haven't heard them, but the M80s look closer to the M-50s than the M-100 based the the charts at headphone.com , but the M50s still win. If you are using well encoded music, the M50s should sound more airy and detailed in the treble region.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back