Why aren't there more portable amp + DACs combos on the market?
Sep 26, 2004 at 12:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

bahamaman

1000+ Head-Fier
Now that I'm focusing on my portable rig, I have been looking into an amp that incorporates a good quality DAC. Of course, there's the bithead/total bithead, but its mixed reviews make me a bit reluctant to jump in that direction.

Until recently, one could consider a product from http://www.aoselectronics.com but their product line seems to be in a state of flux. That company does sell a "daughterboard DAC" that it says can be easily incorporated into a hammond case.

Does anyone know of a company or DIY'er that makes a portable amp + DAC that would fit my requirements? If there aren't any, should I take that to mean that the DACs in most HD players are good enough and that an external DAC would be overkill?

Sep 26, 2004 at 2:55 PM Post #2 of 6
Sep 26, 2004 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 6
Dixie Flatline - I had completely forgotten about that, though I might be a little self-conscious wearing it in public.
eek.gif

I'm hoping that some enterprising DIYer might be willing to "commission" an amp that might eventually develop into a product of wider acceptance.

I've also thought about contacting aoselectronics since their website hints at some new products in the works. It could be that something is just around the corner.

Sep 26, 2004 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 6
I asked aos about the sostenuto a couple of months ago, and he said that the replacement would be out sometime in october. I dunno if that's changed, but it's not that far away...

Sep 26, 2004 at 11:39 PM Post #6 of 6
The Sostenuto has been officially discontinued (by aos) for some time now. The only portable amp/dac he makes now is the PACE, which is quite a bit more expensive. It is a really nice looking unit, and is the only battery powered amp/dac that I know of.

I don't know if he plans on coming out with a lower cost model, along the lines of the Sostenuto, any time soon or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back